Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan's playing better. Long term I still have concerns over him off the pitch. You can say it dosen't matter but I see a bit of Lee Hendrie in him. Gareth Barry had drink issues early in his career but knuckled down and is playing in the champions league while in his 30s, Hendrie is at Tamworth.

That said, poor mis kick just before the 2nd United goal.

theres nothing on the wings though, :/ im not a 4-3-3 fan, im an old fashioned 4-4-2 kinda guy, but then, we have no decent out and out wingers only albrighton really, but we have nothing to match on the left, im still also not a fan of bannan, even after todays performance, if he continues to play good then maybe we can sell him for a pretty penny and buy someone of similar skill but more strength

Both of our goals came from crosses from the wings on Saturday. I think O'Neill is currently demonstrating that two fixed wingers hugging their touchlines and trying to whip crosses into a big front man is getting redundant these days. It's easy for teams to stop it. 433 gives much more flexibility and is far harder for teams to defend against as our second goal proved. Their back four had to keep on changing who they marking and AW got free.

All of our players have generally improved as the season has progressed and as I've stated elsewhere the appointment of our new scout may have had something to do with that. Start putting the effort in or risk being replaced and shown the door. This may have helped wee Barry to focus more and we're starting to see the benefit of that.

Yeah, it's pretty simple.

Play Bannan on the wings and he's as good as useless (like McLeish did)

Play Bannan in this middle in his natural position and he can influence the game.

There's no point getting rid of him. Personally he'd be in my first 11, but even as a squad player it would be hard to find someone with his qualities whilst being on the small wages he's on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well anyone who's read this thread will know i'm a big fan of Bannan. And I think he's really performing well at the minute. Credit where credits due, had a fantastic game today.

I'm starting to think that my opinion must be tainted by where i sit in the ground lol. I think i counted 3 occasions today where he wimped out of making a challenge, the fact that he is starting week in week out now is a sad indictment of our current squad. (In my opinion)

• Like 1

yep he was very good today, as was westwood. KEA wasn't as bad as some are making out but gave it away uncharacteristically a few times in crucial places. after the yellow wasn't as effective. still though, bannan looked great and pulled the strings well.

I'm still struggling to see what he brings to the team. He has occasional moments of good passing but other than that his set-peices and all round decision making are not up to scratch.

But I'd rather a decent academy lad in the squad than an over-paid journeyman, so he can stay but not he's not vital.

• Like 1

I'm still struggling to see what he brings to the team. He has occasional moments of good passing but other than that his set-peices and all round decision making are not up to scratch.

But I'd rather a decent academy lad in the squad than an over-paid journeyman, so he can stay but not he's not vital.

See, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I feel like he has been making smart passes in the midfield and him and Westwood appear to have a good understanding. Also, I have been very impressed the last 3 matches because with Stevens playing at LB, Bannan has had to cover for him many times. I think his support in defense has been very good.

• Like 1

I think this was Bannan' best match so far. He is improving, doing less stupid passes and he works hard and backtracks more than I though he was capable of. I thought his passing was very good today.

He is getting there, and I have been one of his critics.

Not a fan of his if I'm honest but I can't deny he has improved under Lambert, I still remain unconvinced he is as good as some seem to think though. Yes he can pass a ball but for me at least he doesn't influence games enough, there is a lack of end product in his game and his set piece delivery isn't consistent enough.

I never like players that appear to bottle tackles, Downing used to make my blood boil doing it and I'm starting to notice wee Barry appearing to duck the odd one. You can't play CM and do that unless you are a truly exceptional player and Bannan isn't that.

All you can ask of players is that they work hard and improve, Bannan is doing those things but questions still remain for me over him.