Barry Bannan

villianusa

We need someone tall to play with him though. Or a good jumper. Herd springs to mind for me - thoughts on Bannan/Herd CM pairing?

Why does someone tall need to play with him? He and Westwood looked OK together on Saturday.

This goes against popular sentiment, but I'll say it anyway: Herd is terrible. Just terrible. He's the quality of player who starts for a team in 17th place. Which is what we are. But we can't reasonably expect to move higher in the table with him in the starting eleven.

Why does someone tall need to play with him? He and Westwood looked OK together on Saturday.

This goes against popular sentiment, but I'll say it anyway: Herd is terrible. Just terrible. He's the quality of player who starts for a team in 17th place. Which is what we are. But we can't reasonably expect to move higher in the table with him in the starting eleven.

Why do you think Herd is terrible? What parts of his game or things he's done or not done in games makes you think he's terrible?

comparing wee barry to delph is meaningless, in my humble opinion. barry makes (or doesn't make) the team to create scoring opportunities - as such, i believe he is competing with stephen ireland in the starting line up. we have so few creative outlets at the moment - ireland only looks confident going forward in fits and starts, boht KEA and delph seem to be satisfied with constantly laying off five meter passes to the side or backwards, Zoggy and sharky are not getting a run, and bretty holman has yet to deliver the final pass, despite a huge workrate...

as well as being prepared to go forward, was very pleased to see barry willing to get stuck in defensively and track back. as that side of his game develops, there will be less of a question as to whether he is a luxury player in the team only to play hollywood passes.

one more thing i have always noticed about bannan is that he always seems to play with confidence and is always prepared to have a go...

many of our players look terrified to actually push forward and attack or even, heaven forbid, shoot... that level of confidence to me justifies his place on saturday above Ireland if there's only one place up for grabs...

comparing wee barry to delph is meaningless, in my humble opinion. barry makes (or doesn't make) the team to create scoring opportunities - as such, i believe he is competing with stephen ireland in the starting line up. we have so few creative outlets at the moment - ireland only looks confident going forward in fits and starts, boht KEA and delph seem to be satisfied with constantly laying off five meter passes to the side or backwards, Zoggy and sharky are not getting a run, and bretty holman has yet to deliver the final pass, despite a huge workrate...

as well as being prepared to go forward, was very pleased to see barry willing to get stuck in defensively and track back. as that side of his game develops, there will be less of a question as to whether he is a luxury player in the team only to play hollywood passes.

one more thing i have always noticed about bannan is that he always seems to play with confidence and is always prepared to have a go...

many of our players look terrified to actually push forward and attack or even, heaven forbid, shoot... that level of confidence to me justifies his place on saturday above Ireland if there's only one place up for grabs...

Whilst Bannan and Ireland are both attacking, they play completely different roles as Bannan is a deeper lying playmaker whereas Ireland is an at attacking mid. As such I think Bannan and Delph are fighting for the same position, even though Delph plays the role differently

but neither delph or KEA are doing any playmaking on the pitch from what i can see... they are both breaking up play, and then laying off a 3m ball to the side or backwards...

so if you want someone to break up play, thats not wee barry, and if you want someone to open up the opposition defence, thats not delph...

Have to admit, most of the times Bannan has played we seem to play better. Between him, Westwood and Ireland there is creativity there. Good midfield partnerships forming IMO.

Yes they work well together as a 3. Westwood seems disciplined in sitting deep and breaking up play. Barry can play accurate quick balls forward or into flanks. Ireland can link up with forwards and is able to carry the ball.

4-3-3 is def the best formation with the players we have.

Think this midfield three of Bannan, Westwood and Ireland is the way forward in all honesty. Offers us the most balance both defensively and going forward.

That ball he put in today for Weimann which De Gea saved was an absolute beauty.

theres nothing on the wings though, :/ im not a 4-3-3 fan, im an old fashioned 4-4-2 kinda guy, but then, we have no decent out and out wingers only albrighton really, but we have nothing to match on the left, im still also not a fan of bannan, even after todays performance, if he continues to play good then maybe we can sell him for a pretty penny and buy someone of similar skill but more strength

Bannan was absolutely brilliant today.

Myself and all the people sat around me couldn't understand why he wasn't taken off after an hour, I thought he was pretty average to poor myself-I don't see a Premier League player there. Only my opinion of course!

theres nothing on the wings though

a couple of decent wingers, or even one who can switch sides, would make a world of difference. we've gone from being a team who did everything on the wings to being one who tries to do everything through the middle. we need to be able to do both

Overall, I thought he did alright against Utd BUT, their second goal was Bannan's fault. He totally fluffed it when all he had to do was smash it clear. Given a solid run of games, the three of Bannan, Westwood and Ireland could be decent but Bannan has got to improve defensively in this deeper role!

Overall, I thought he did alright against Utd BUT, their second goal was Bannan's fault. He totally fluffed it when all he had to do was smash it clear. Given a solid run of games, the three of Bannan, Westwood and Ireland could be decent but Bannan has got to improve defensively in this deeper role!

we won't be playing united every week, thankfully, so im not sure bannan's defensive side has to improve immediately. obviously the sooner he gets it worked out the better, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it took him another year or two to really adapt to that side of the game.

Myself and all the people sat around me couldn't understand why he wasn't taken off after an hour, I thought he was pretty average to poor myself-I don't see a Premier League player there. Only my opinion of course!

Totally agree

It's funny how one player can divide opinion so much. Guess we all look for different qualities in a player. As far as i'm concerned, we play better when Bannan is on the pitch. It's really that simple. When he isn't playing we lack any kind of spark.

He played great, his cross into Weimann for the header. Constantly looking for the pass.