Barry Bannan

villianusa

He doesn't try the Hollywood pass everytime he has the ball

On the games where he doesn't play well (vs Reading and Everton are the two that coem to mind) he absolutely does do this.

As I've said before, it seems to be when the emphasis is on him to be creative rather than when the pressure is off a bit (when Ireland is on the pitch)

People aren't knocking him, they're just pointing out some faults with his game. They happened to be present on Tuesday when he had a poor game.

I like the guy as a player, I think he could be very good.

I just think he's currently inconsistent and quite frustrting when he plays poorly. Hopefully he'll iron that out with experience.

When watching the Man U game Bannan was trying the hollywood pass alot, but it was coming off! Personally I think the lad needs more first team football, so he can a improve his consistencey with the hollywood balls and that comes from choosing the right times to do this! If he has the time and a good target to aim at why not, his problem comes when he tries to force it! Personally I think he has the makings of a good deep lying playmaker. PL just needs to make sure that Bannan is working hard for the team and recognise when he is in need of a rest. I don't think Bannan can play twice a week at the moment. We are passing it around nicely at the moment and Barry is one of the reasons for this. He and Westwood are both good passers with good awareness. Playing the hollywood ball is about more than passing ability, you need the vision and awareness to see the oppourtunity in the first place!

In this league his size will always be a handicap, so needs to always be one step ahead mentally to make up for this, and he has that potential, but he needs experience to hone that.

Most accurate crosser in Europe it seems. That's despite playing as a holding midfielder.

2012%2f11%2fTop-Crossers.jpg

Interesting stat.

Prove if ever it was needed that Barry is a very gifted little player. It's obvious to anyone who's been watching us this season we are a much, much better team when he is playing. It's just simplistic fans picking up on the odd dodgy ball who don't pick up on the rest of his play. A 50% cross success rate is incredible. His corners are usually top notch and always land on Benteke's head. He should be the first name of the team sheet...yet people want to sell him off :wacko::mellow:

His corners were much improved against Reading. They were whipped in with a bit of pace and both Baker and Clark could/should have scored. Today though, they were back to terrible. Every one was floated in gently giving the defenders plenty of time to deal with them.

I wouldn't get too excited, Nicky shorey is apparently the 12th best crosser in Europe.

in fairness Shorey always had a really good left foot. I think was in Reading 1st Premier League season he got about 12 assists.

He even got 2 yesterday

Martin Laursen wasn't exactly complimentary about Nicky Shorey's ability as a defender before the Reading game the other night, he described him as being 'better going forward than defending'. Crap full back with no bottle would be my summary so no matter how good his crossing was I was delighted to see him go.

Anyway, this is thread is supposed to be our pint drinking, pint sized tackle dodging midfielder. :)

• 2 weeks later...

i really want to dislike this kid and want to see him sold, but hes proving it difficult for me to do so

we always seem to do well when hes playing, hes getting involved and in the mix, not hiding away like players in the past

hes making me wonder if i was wrong in agreeing with you all on here that we need another centre attacking mid

my mind is confuzzled at the moment, ill await motd :-)

He actually seems to play better when he has less touches and less time with the ball. Maybe it's youthful excitement and a lack of patience. Firstly, defensively he's very good in how he reads the game which makes up plenty for his lack of physicallity, although he's happy to put the tackles in when needed. Technically very gifted, he does better when players press him and he shows his class with one/two touch passes and then moving for the next ball. It seems against lesser opponents, especially at home like vs Reading, he'll get the ball more often, have more space and time in the middle and instead of keeping things ticking he almost feels like he has to force the issue by trying balls that really aren't ever going to come off regularly. Probably needs to push himself up a few yards when we're taking the games to team and provide more of a link with the attacking players with shorter balls rather than trying to find that 20/30 yard clipped ball in behind or long switches.

Very good vs Liverpool though, hope he maintains it.