The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

Is anyone’s else a little worried about Jack for this coming season? He has been sensational for us for at least 4 years now but im not convinced he is over his injury and with the come down from the euros I worry he might dip a bit this season. Although saying that I still think he will be our best player purely based on the fact he is a fantastic world class footballer.

Even if he isn't 100%, he won't have the weight of the world entirely on his shoulders now Buendia is around. He can afford to slow down a little if he needs to.

5 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Even if he isn't 100%, he won't have the weight of the world entirely on his shoulders now Buendia is around. He can afford to slow down a little if he needs to.

He may not even be ready to start the first few games or not play the full 90 at least. The arrival of Emi 2 means that should have less of a negative impact on the team. Hopefully though he’s fully fit and raring to go. 

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

Pretty much everyone in Birmingham I went to school with would say youse lot. Don't think it's confined to Ireland. 

many Birmingham kids are of Irish descent.....but hey, you could be right.

I was partly Irish and brought up in Birmingham, I used to say "you lot"...but things change in time,for sure.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

many Birmingham kids are of Irish descent.....but hey, you could be right.

I was partly Irish and brought up in Birmingham, I used to say "you lot"...but things change in time,for sure.

YO lot.  :)

I'm from Cannock, home of a particularly grating yam yam accent and Stan Collymore. We don't say "youse" or at least I don't remember anyone here using it. Always makes me think of Jar Jar Binks, which can never be a good thing...

spacer.png

• Haha 1

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-grealish-england-gareth-southgate-21038821

However, one player who surprised his squad members was that of Jack Grealish, with BirminghamLive being told how the 25-year-old had been "on fire" in training leading up to the tournament.

There was, as reports have outlined, a 'degree of bewilderment' amongst the group over Southgate's reluctance to use the Aston Villa skipper.

Grealish's body language after being an unused substitute against Croatia was one of disappointment. He was told by assistant boss Steve Holland to warm up on numerous occasions but didn't get on - and that hurt.

The playmaker soon got over it, though, with attention shifting to Scotland on the Friday night. As England struggled, Grealish came on to a standing ovation at Wembley as supporters begged for his introduction long before the 63rd minute.

The Scotland match was Grealish's first taste of senior tournament football and he embraced it, winning four fouls in his short cameo appearance as he looked to dribble at those in navy shirts.

The Czechs were up next and it's widely believed that Grealish wouldn't have started his only match at the Euros had Mason Mount been available.

The Chelsea ace was forced into self-isolation for 10 days after coming into contact with Billy Gilmour who tested positive for Covid.

Mount's loss was Grealish's gain, though, as the man from Solihull sparked England back into life after just 11 minutes to tee-up Raheem Sterling with an excellent cross.

Grealish was good value against the Czech Republic but he was even better against Germany in the last-16 - that's despite being dropped as Southgate chose to switch to a back three and, instead, started Saka on the right with Sterling on the left. Luke Shaw and Kieran Trippier were the full-backs with Kalvin Phillips and Declan Rice in midfield once more.

Grealish was introduced in place of Saka with 20 to go and, within just six minutes, he played in Shaw who crossed for Sterling to make it 1-0. Grealish left the Germans in his wake 11 minutes later as he crossed for Harry Kane to nod home.

An England star was born, or so we thought, with Grealish then left out of the XI yet again out in Rome as England faced Ukraine, much to the surprise of his peers at St George's Park. In came Jadon Sancho while Mount was straight back in despite training away from the group in the lead up to the quarters.

Despite his heroics which helped England overcome their arch rivals, Grealish was an unused sub before Southgate sat down with the Villa star to stress the importance of substitutes in the upcoming semi-final.

Back at Wembley and, just like last time against the Germans, Southgate turned to Grealish to unlock a defence as England were level with the Danes at 1-1.

His performance in the semis was below Grealish's usual standards; he'd probably taken a confidence hit after Southgate's latest snub but he did enough to force the issue and helped as Kane scored in first-half extra time to win it. A minute later, Grealish was hooked as Southgate shut up shop with Trippier his replacement - that was despite Denmark being down to 10 men after using all of their subs.

And to Wembley for the final time against the Italians and, again, it was Southgate who took an overcautious approach as he started with a back three. Grealish was sat in the stands again as England struggled after going ahead.

Almost 100 minutes were up until Southgate finally took a jaded and lacklustre Mount off as Grealish was called to, in essence, get his manager out of jail again and to make history. The 70,000-strong crowd at Wembley sang Grealish's name long before he came on and, in truth, it was all too late as Italy had a firm grip on the game and, in the end, the Henri Delaunay Trophy.

Grealish was given 20 minutes to win it. He had a shot well-blocked by Giovanni Di Lorenzo before penalties were called. The Villa man insisted to Southgate he wanted one but, again, the manager decided otherwise and chose 19-year-old Saka as his fifth taker.

After the match, Grealish reunited with his family in the stand, spoke to supporters and donated a pair of boots to a youngster who was with his Dad.

A post-match party was held afterwards before Southgate addressed his squad prior to Grealish and Co returning home on Monday before their holidays commenced.

It was a huge case of what might have been, then, as Southgate - to most - underused one of the most-talented players in his squad who was afforded just 173 minutes across five appearances.

Oh what could have been had Grealish been given more game time.

Not sure I agree with the bit about his performance in the semis - IMO he played well.

Also unclear how well sourced this is, as it's not hard to guess any of this from existing speculation and what we've seen ourselves during the games. But interesting anyway.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I'm from Cannock, home of a particularly grating yam yam accent and Stan Collymore. We don't say "youse" or at least I don't remember anyone here using it. Always makes me think of Jar Jar Binks, which can never be a good thing...

spacer.png

Yam a yam yam am yam?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

More of this next season please Jack:

premier league football GIF by Aston Villa FC

Got a real feeling he's going to smash it alongside Buendia.

I think so too.

What's really funny is the Arsenal forums are already deriding our signing of Buendia as dogshit after the 'news' that ESR is signing a new contract (neither of those things are true). 

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

@Sulberto21  was late for work and the gaffer asked him where he had been.

Silb: "I've been to 'av me 'air cut."

Gaffer: "In the firm's time?"

Sulb: "Well it grows in the firm's time, doh it?"

Gaffer: "It doh all grow in the firm's time!"

Sulbi: "I day 'av it all cut off !"

Brilliant 

6 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

R

@Sulberto21 and @Teale's 'tache had had an argument and hadn't spoken to each other for over a month. One day @Sulberto21 see's @Teale's 'tache walking towards him on the opposite side of the road and being the more forgiving calls to him, is that yo Sulb?, a voice comes back, no it ay,  Teale's say's well bugger yer then, this ay me neither.

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 2

We moved up to Scotland almost 4 years ago. My wife has a lovely soft Highland accent. (Unless I’ve upset her in which case she magically switches to Glaswegian docker.) Our daughter had just turned three when we moved up here and she’d just started to learn to count. One, two, three, four, foive. My wife’s face was priceless and with out saying a word you could tell she was thinking, we’re moving just in time! 

Our now almost seven year old still sometimes drops in the odd “foive or noin” , in her lovely Highland Brummie accent. I’m sure she sometimes does it to wind up her Mom though. 😂

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Haha 4

Â