The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Don't care where Grealish plays for Villa, he is the best link central player on that list.

Should be:

Henderson; TAA, Gomez, Maguire, Chilwell; Rice, Henderson, Grealish/Maddison; Sterling, Kane, Rashford/Sancho.

Will end up with a back five with Rice, Phillips and JWP as the link though won't we. Pathetic. 🤦‍♂️

I like that jack has pretty much forced Southgate to pick him given his start to the season and his cameo before. It's the only way Jack will regularly get into the England squad with Southgate around, don't give him a choice. Interesting thing is, who will he drop when foden/greenwood return? Barnes would be one, then who?

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I like that jack has pretty much forced Southgate to pick him given his start to the season and his cameo before. It's the only way Jack will regularly get into the England squad with Southgate around, don't give him a choice. Interesting thing is, who will he drop when foden/greenwood return? Barnes would be one, then who?

I have slaughtered Southgate in the past, he really winds me up but I will cut him some slack now lol. I would hope Jack is in purely on merit however I'm sure Southgate knew he would get crucified if he dropped him given how poor England are creatively. Jack came on and provided more entertainment in 5 minutes than the rest of the games put together! It's what people want to see. Up until now England haven't a player who is comfortable to carry the ball. Hopefully he'll start one of the games. 

I'm ecstatic for Jack getting a consecutive call-up, this time in the first draft! Even though he has signed that new deal the worrier in me thinks that keeping him in this England team is going to be integral for us keeping him at Villa.

Whilst personally I prefer Jack at LW I thought given his public comments (as recent as a month or so ago when looking at his ratings on the new FIFA) its clear he prefers #10. I had personally speculated that any contract renewal would have had a gentlemanly agreement to push him back to #10 and I thought the pursuit of Rashica was evidence of this.

Even though I prefer him at LW I don't blame him for preferring #10 looking at the England squad Jack will have a far easier time displacing Mount, Ward-Prowse, Winks and Foden than he will Sancho, Sterling, Rashford and now Harvey Barnes. Whilst I back Jack I can see the emergence of Harvey Barnes being a perfect excuse for Southgate not to play Jack and I have a feeling that should Dominic Calvert Lewin's form continue we may try 4-4-2 with him playing alongside Kane - Southgate would love to claim Barnes is better suited for that LW role due to industry etc.

A lot of the above is my own opinion and baseless speculation but I do feel keeping Jack away from his preferred #10 is going to be a theme that won't go away and could cause us to lose him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he slides back into midfield at some point this season; because of the improved quality around him he may not need to be shoved out wide to help him find space. The likes of Barkley, Watkins and Traore should be able to take some of that burden off him.

That is the only reason he was moved to the wing in the first place after all, right?

Good point, I definitely could see him getting minutes there purely due to rotational reasons however I can't see imagine it being considerable as right now that would mean AEG at LW unless we sign someone new.

There is a world in where we as a collective we help Barkley crack into the England team in that 8/10 position that Ward Prowse/Winks/Mount hold and Grealish is left at home due to being stuck behind very serious LW competition!

35 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If that’s a 30 man squad I assume there’ll be cuts no?

Three matches in this break, so maybe no cuts.  Talk already of heavy rotation between games (Jose complaining about Kane getting ground into a fine mist due to overplaying notwithstanding)

Edit, on topic, glad he's on the squad; given the callups this time I'm (optimistically) of the opinion he's in the on general merit rather than just because there was space sure to the hotel two getting dropped.

Edited by CardiffGreens

48 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If that’s a 30 man squad I assume there’ll be cuts no?

I think 30-man as there are three games. I think Southgate will rotate quite heavily so I think we should be assuming we will see Jack maybe start one game or be a sub in a couple. I don’t think that many players will start 2 games or play in all 3.

49 minutes ago, ZL- said:

Whilst personally I prefer Jack at LW I thought given his public comments (as recent as a month or so ago when looking at his ratings on the new FIFA) its clear he prefers #10. I had personally speculated that any contract renewal would have had a gentlemanly agreement to push him back to #10 and I thought the pursuit of Rashica was evidence of this.

I think if we played with a #10 it would be him - but we don’t. I think he could do a job at #8 but with McGinn and Barkley in our double #8 role his best value is out wide. If we do sign another winger I can see him playing some games in one position and some in the other.

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

If Barnes keeps up his form so far this season he might be undroppable. Looks class. England (and Leicester for that matter) actually have a lot of quality in players in that similar position. 

Â