The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, useless said:

Not sure why now that the transfer window is closed everyone is suddenly obssessed with talking about him leaving, it doesn't open again for another four or five months.

It’s because of all the crap in the papers today. It’s prompted the discussion.

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He needs to move on in my opinion. 

He most certainly does not. (I understand your point but I cannot agree, yet) And if Leicester can put a title-winning team together in a year or so, its clearly possible for us to. The only way it becomes impossible is if we sell our best players. Like Jack.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Think its fair to not use the Maguire signing as the standard considering everyone agrees its overpriced. If the Maguire signing is the standard, then pretty much near every other signing is a steal in some capacity.

I fear the scenario where we try and mug off any takers for Grealish leading to a scenario where he has to stay with us because we didn't get the offer we wanted. I don't want it to come to the point where we're holding him hostage in the Championship when he wants to leave. 

Ok what about João Félix, he had one season  in Portugal and yet went for over £100m, Ok he’s younger than Jack but he wasn’t performing at a higher level. People argue that the premier league is the hardest league, yes that’s open to debate, but it’s definitely in the top 3 leagues in world football. Jack is playing for one of the worst teams in that league and still is one of the most creative players 

14 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’m not on a wind up, isn’t the whole point of a forum to have discussions and different opinions? 

It was tongue in cheek mate. 

I know you're not on a wind up, I've seen you on here for long enough to know you're 100% genuine.

It's just crazy how different people can see players. And considering you were the first person on this site to alert us all to grealish and how good he could be, a lot of us find it a bit strange that when he's finally realising that potential you're the one playing it down :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was tongue in cheek mate. 

I know you're not on a wind up, I've seen you on here for long enough to know you're 100% genuine.

It's just crazy how different people can see players. And considering you were the first person on this site to alert us all to grealish and how good he could be, a lot of us find it a bit strange that when he's finally realising that potential you're the one playing it down :)

You and I have been posting on this forum for almost exactly the same time (12 years). My opinions change all the time but they are always genuine, most people think I’m in cloud cuckoo land. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think he is a very good footballer who is almost carrying us by himself but I think he has become overrated by fans and media alike. 

2 big points are being overlooked by this latest story, the first of which Is a bit of blatant common sense...why would he go to man utd?

If he is put up for sale he will have the pick of most teams, the only way they get to the top of the pile is simply blowing the other teams out of the water financially,  and (with the rebuilding job they have) I'm not so sure they can afford to do that!

I'd guess these stories are coming from their end to attempt to get into Jack's thinking, to try and get him to get familiar with playing for them. It's an old trick fergie used to use, I'd guess he has been offering a bit of advice here.

The second point would render this all pointless in that I'm not sure we can afford to let him go currently. Our owners have previously mentioned he IS aston villa, and most noises coming out mention what we all know, hes too important. This would play far more into what Guardiola intimated a few months back when he replied about his off putting value.

If this is the case the only way he is sold is if jack forces his hand, would that ever happen?....at least this summer?

My thoughts are that the only reason he leaves (if we stay up obviously) is if we simply cant turn down the offer. 

I'd hope our owners thoughts on this figure match my own!

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

Eh? By repeatedly not picking him and almost never starting him!

I was thinking about last season. Not sure what’s happened to him this year. But point is that he gave Klopp a different option to unlock defences or rest key players. I don’t understand why Southgate hasn’t brought Grealish into the England squad for the same reason.

He seems very locked into thinking about his starting 11, but it’s the squad that wins a tournament.

56 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

He most certainly does not. (I understand your point but I cannot agree, yet) And if Leicester can put a title-winning team together in a year or so, its clearly possible for us to. The only way it becomes impossible is if we sell our best players. Like Jack.

Exactly this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Fwiw this thing where our fans are more worried about selling our best players and what they are worth, than actually watching good players play football is just weird. It's like the player value suddenly is more important than winning trophies. This in a season where we are 21 days from a cup final. Swear I want off this train. 

We're turning more into small shit club fans like Brentford by every day. 

Wish Jack could just sign a contract extension and be vocal about intending to stay so we don't have to read all this drivel for the next 5 months. 

I understand where you're coming from, but it's a basic psychological defence mechanism. You have correctly identified how Jack could take the discussion off the table (for a few weeks at least) but since objectively he is very unlikely to sign a new contract now, people are preparing for the worst. I really doubt that there are many posters on this forum who actually want to sell him, at any price.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If we'd stayed in the Championship Grealish would have left because of the financial implications and not to further his career.

If we stay up in the PL i think he'd be with us for a couple more seasons.

He would have left for both, and he will leave for both if we go down again. In fact, our FFP position is so perilous that we will have no alternative but to sell him if we go down.

Your second sentence may be right, but I would imagine any further time with us will be dependent on a] a massive new contract, and b] clear evidence that the club are strengthening the playing squad, not just in average players or prospects but in genuinely good 'how did they get them'-type signings. He's not going to want another season playing every game with the likes of Wesley, Trezeguet or El Ghazi.

FFP makes our selling activity in the transfer market incredibly important. We all want to see Villa grow, not just be a plucky relegation battler that plays decent football sometimes. Why shouldn’t fans take an interest in the club as a business?

Just now, KentVillan said:

FFP makes our selling activity in the transfer market incredibly important. We all want to see Villa grow, not just be a plucky relegation battler that plays decent football sometimes. Why shouldn’t fans take an interest in the club as a business?

I've noticed a really weird thing about FFP.

If people say, 'FFP is, in its operation, essentially a conspiracy to ensure that no club is able to get gazillionaire owners and crash the top 6 like Man City did', then I think that's basically true. Even if that wasn't the only intention, that has been the effect, and you have to imagine the top 6 aren't in any rush to change it.

I think that's a pretty common thing to believe, amongst Villa fans. I've certainly read it a lot on this forum. Yet posters also seem to believe that FFP is easy to get around, that decisions don't have to be made with it front of mind, that we might be able to keep our best and most valuable assets in case of relegation, and so on.

But it can't be both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sources at Newton Heath have clearly had a word with their many friends in the press and media, with a view to unsettling our Jack. They don't care if that has a negative impact on the rest of our season (in fact that would be a bonus for them, as it would make a cut price deal more likely). Their objective, is to do the bidding of a club that sells them papers and generates a lot of clicks. They are therefore more than happy to print or to discuss on radio or television, the prospect of Jack moving from us, to what they consider to still be one of the big boys, that they endlessly drone on about. In doing so, they have at least unsettled some of us fans, if not Jack.

How much would we want for him? More than they have to spend. We need to go all Daniel Levy on them, if they ever make that call...😠

Edited by John
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And considering you were the first person on this site to alert us all to grealish and how good he could be, a lot of us find it a bit strange that when he's finally realising that potential you're the one playing it down :)

Especially considering the amount of praise utter chaff like Hepburn Murphy gets.

• Like 1

Â