The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Besides today (which wasn't a dive) has he ever been booked for diving in his entire career?

Would love the club to actually do some research on this and publish it. They need to turn around the diving Grealish narrative somehow.

I found all his (5) yellows last season (no small effort 🤓).

1. Villa 3 - 2 Wigan. Booked for a foul.
  2. Villa 2 - 2 Brentford. Booked for dissent.
  3. Shef Utd 4 - 1 Villa. Booked for a foul.
  4. Villa 3 - 3 Preston. Threw the ball away after winning a foul.
  5. SHA 0 - 1 Villa. Booked for his celebration.

And he was the most fouled player in the division, often getting wiped out in the first few seconds of a match, as a deliberate tactic by opponents.

His playing style draws fouls, and in the modern game you can't play like Gazza with your elbows flying around to protect you. You need protection from the referee.

• Like 1

I feel so sorry for Jack. Got nothing from the ref all game. Was getting stick from many in the match thread but imo was the only player trying to make something happen. In the end, he did make something happen and it got wrongly disallowed in an absolutely ridiculous decision. I'd be furious if I was him.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Jack does have a "reputation" now. And that reputation is - you can foul him and cheat as much as you like and the referees will let you do it.

Its really outrageous. No wonder Pep loses his mind with how PL refs dont protect skillfull players and in fact actively encourage injury on them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Jack does have a "reputation" now. And that reputation is - you can foul him and cheat as much as you like and the referees will let you do it.

I think Smith needs to be pushing this into the public eye with his press conferences between now and West Ham game. Quote the foul stats if need be. Quote the fact he has never been booked for diving. As someone commented above (apologies for forgetting who) we need to re-shape the narrative around Jack and point out just what bullshit it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He didn't even ask for a pen.

Are you not allowed to fall to the ground without it being a dive?

Not only did he not appeal, he actually provided an assist as he was falling to the ground!

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

IIRC, he was up on his feet before Lansbury took the shot and the first one over to celebrate.

Some dive, eh?

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Referees seem to be actively looking for diving now rather than actually doing the job they are paid for. Happened to James at manure a week or so ago. People are so obsessed with it their actually calling clear fouls as dives now. 

38 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

I think Smith needs to be pushing this into the public eye with his press conferences between now and West Ham game. Quote the foul stats if need be. Quote the fact he has never been booked for diving. As someone commented above (apologies for forgetting who) we need to re-shape the narrative around Jack and point out just what bullshit it is

not saying its the way but if Terry was on the pitch this wouldn't of happened 

I think if we played 4-3-2-1 (Christmas tree) it would push Jack further forward and maybe we'd get more out of him. This is actually where Sherwood (although I think he's a charlatan) played him with N'Zogbia (2 number 10's.) He had a lot more freedom in that role.

With our squad we could go:

Heaton

Guilbert  Mings  Engels Taylor

Nakamba Luiz McGinn

Jota  Jack

Wesley

This would also give us a little more muscle in the middle. Width could be provided either by the fullbacks or Jota and Jack spinning out wide.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I think if we played 4-3-2-1 (Christmas tree) it would push Jack further forward and maybe we'd get more out of him. This is actually where Sherwood (although I think he's a charlatan) played him with N'Zogbia (2 number 10's.) He had a lot more freedom in that role.

With our squad we could go:

Heaton

Guilbert  Mings  Engels Taylor

Nakamba Luiz McGinn

Jota  Jack

Wesley

This would also give us a little more muscle in the middle. Width could be provided either by the fullbacks or Jota and Jack spinning out wide.

Been banging on about this :lol: . Gotta try it. Would also bring out the best of Jota. Would be like playing with 10 men with Taylor though as your width needs to come from your fullbacks. But if Sherwood could make it work with Kieren Richardson then **** it, let's give it a go.

2 hours ago, New_Hope said:

Jenas on MOTD didn't pull any punches!

I mean, if there's one good thing to come out of this - which obviously doesn't make up for having a perfectly good goal ruled out - it would be demoting Mr Friend to referee some lower-league matches, because even impartial observers seem to agree that was one of the worst decisions made in a long time. 

I'm as angry as the next fan about this. He does get clattered twice before he goes down, he does play the ball to Henri, BUT....

Hand on heart the last split second he does the I've been shot by a snipper flip. If he just falls without doing that, the goal stands or we get a penalty. 

Edited by villan_007

13 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

I'm as angry as the next fan about this. He does get clattered twice before he goes down, he does play the ball to Henri, BUT....

Hand on heart the last split second he does the I've been shot by a snipper flip. If he just falls without doing that, the goal stands or we get a penalty. 

Pretty much. Fouled twice and lost balance. No chance of diving, but that theatrical finish was not needed. 

• Like 1

Â