The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

He's really starting to come into his own at City now.  Playing some of his best football at the moment in a team which is firing on all cylinders.  I honestly think they're going to catch Arsenal for the title.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

He's really starting to come into his own at City now.  Playing some of his best football at the moment in a team which is firing on all cylinders.  I honestly think they're going to catch Arsenal for the title.  

It's Arsenals to loose. Big game today for them. City will win the champions league this year 

6 hours ago, KMitch said:

Hang on. I thought maybe he wasn't as good as we all thought? 

He's now being trusted to play how he does after being a 100 million pound ball recycler since he signed for them. No shocks he looks back to his old self. No doubt the media will be saying its peps coaching that has improved his contributions this season overlast season rather than him beingballowed to play his normal game again.

• Like 3

Just a shame the timing didn't quite work out. No way we should have expected him to stay on for 2 or 3 more years, but if we had him right now I'd back us to finish 5th/6th, and next year make a real push for CL football. Still a far cry from the level he's playing at though of course.

• Like 1

He's really playing well but still has two issues stopping him becoming really elite. He nearly always looks for the pass, a lot of the time when he should be shooting. Second one is he's always trying to cut inside. Very rarely is able to beat someone down the line. He'll be a very good player for them for the next 3 or 4 years though. His defensive work has improved at City too. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I know people feel bitter about his move, and understandably so, but I can't help but feel sort of... I don't know, proud?  Here's a Villa academy product and Villa fan operating at the very highest level of football and playing brilliantly, too.

He's the best "pure Villa" produced for a very long time - possibly ever.

What do you mean? Listening to the media, Pep has made him into the player he is, an he hardly had anything worth talking about before he went to Man City and got coached by arguably the best manager on the planet.

In reality he was always a top quality player, he's just took time to adjust to Peps system. Has he improved? With experience yes, but he's hardly become this totally different player being coached by Pep. On form he was always one of the best players in the Prem, even for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

He's really playing well but still has two issues stopping him becoming really elite. He nearly always looks for the pass, a lot of the time when he should be shooting. Second one is he's always trying to cut inside. Very rarely is able to beat someone down the line. He'll be a very good player for them for the next 3 or 4 years though. His defensive work has improved at City too. 

Tbh I consider him elite. I think his "unselfishness" is his game. Its about keeping posession and creating chances. Thats Jack. Sure the balance of pass or shoot will always be a thing but his attributes makes him a fairly unique player in world football. He's just so good at what he does. Glad to see him firing though. We all knew he was capable.

35 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What do you mean? Listening to the media, Pep has made him into the player he is, an he hardly had anything worth talking about before he went to Man City and got coached by arguably the best manager on the planet.

In reality he was always a top quality player, he's just took time to adjust to Peps system. Has he improved? With experience yes, but he's hardly become this totally different player being coached by Pep. On form he was always one of the best players in the Prem, even for us.

I don't think I've said otherwise, have I?  He just wasn't operating at the elite level with us because we weren't there.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I know people feel bitter about his move, and understandably so, but I can't help but feel sort of... I don't know, proud?  Here's a Villa academy product and Villa fan operating at the very highest level of football and playing brilliantly, too.

He's the best "pure Villa" produced for a very long time - possibly ever.

yep i agree

also said a few pages back that 5/6 years ago when i and many other villa fans started making noises about him being this level we were ridiculed, the "good enough to play for barca" line was uttered by me a few times 

but now he doesnt play for barca he plays for man city...i dont think its the way he left villa i think its who he left villa for, if he was playing for bayern last night and did that the bitterness here would be very different

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep i agree

also said a few pages back that 5/6 years ago when i and many other villa fans started making noises about him being this level we were ridiculed, the "good enough to play for barca" line was uttered by me a few times 

but now he doesnt play for barca he plays for man city...i dont think its the way he left villa i think its who he left villa for, if he was playing for bayern last night and did that the bitterness here would be very different

Yeah but when we're in the CL he'll let his contract run out and join us on a free to win it with us ;)

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep i agree

I think the ensuing shambles after he left probably didn't help either. We went from a really solid 2020/21 showing to a mess of a side, sacked Deano and appointed a charlatan. If we'd gone on to do well and replaced him adequately, people probably wouldn't have been as bitter. 

For me, it's just having the heart ripped out of the team by the same soul-sucking state-backed plastics that took Barry, Milner, Delph...it's irritating. Another factor is, with us back in the prem with good owners, I'd like to think if I played for and captained Villa, I'd never want to leave. That's obviously purely hypothetical, but another part of the resentment is the fact that he up and left while it appeared that we had a solid upward trajectory and it felt like a shit time to leave us in the lurch. 

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i dont think its the way he left villa i think its who he left villa for, if he was playing for bayern last night and did that the bitterness here would be very different

Can you imagine him attempting to learn German :crylaugh:

• Like 1

Pep's definitely changed him, whether that's for better or worse I honestly don't know. Perhaps he's more of a team player now? That might be due to having world class players around him, or it might be down to Pep's coaching. Or both... or neither!

It's clear that he's really coming into his own now at City though.

A lot of people said it would be the usual Man City/Pep situation of being crap in his first season and coming good in the second season like we've seen so many times and it looks like that's exactly what's happening.

It'll be interesting if this is now the norm or if this is a purple patch and his previous City form was the norm

Â