The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Full of villa fans Croydonshire 

There are 1 or 2 of us here. (Though I wasn't in boxpark).

Now I think it's unlikely, but possible, that Southgate wanted a 'safe' side to not lose the first game - an issue England perennially has - and that he might surprise everyone by being more expansive and attacking against Scotland.

10 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

The best GS could do for his own reputation would be getting England as far as possible, even winning. I'm sure he knows this and has his own thinking about how to do so. For what it's worth, I think he's mad not to play Jack. But does he have an agenda against Jack? I just find that hard to believe.

The way he purposely won't answer questions on him is so weird. It's like he won't because he knows he can't keep lying to himself. 

It's become such a thing that players are getting asked about him now. Sterling should have been enjoying the goal and win but is asked immediately after the game if he's justified his selection! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s probably not in Southgates thinking but if you have a player as good as Jack but he missed a long period due to a stress injury, and tends to get kicked a lot in games. Would you potentially rest him in games you feel you can manage without him to ensure his available in more important games. He could yet play his part.

Makes sense, but I think it is a long stretch to apply that logic to Southgates thinking!

• Like 1

Just think how mentally draining it must be for Grealish though. No matter what he does, how well he plays, how bad the competitors for his position are playing, he still can't get a start (maybe not even any minutes) in the games that matter. At what point playing under Southgate does your motivation leave you?

If he has got a knock imagine how much Southgate will be loving to use that as an excuse.

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Full of villa fans Croydonshire 

Its just about far enough outside of the city. All the pubs from Birmingham City Centre to there are Blues mate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Inured again or has this been standard procedure?

its concerning that he is still managing the injury.

It seems to have gone on for months and months now?, is it that he just isnt fully recovered even now from the injury?, or is this some sort of long term management needed?

Rather concerning, is he even going to be fully fit for the new season!?!?!

I think it’s more likely an agenda from big nose, he was about to be bought on against Croatia so they can’t be that worried about his fitness. He finished the season with us. It’s to prepare an excuse as to why he doesn’t want to play him. It’s not even the Villa blinkers, Southgate is just a word removed. Can’t stand him. Once in a generation player being squandered on an int’l stage. Can you imagine any other country not playing someone like Jack? They don’t protect them, keep them on the bench until they have experience. They play them. Pedri is 18. Does he need experience? Wrapping up? Owen? Rooney? Nah. It’s big nose being a clearing. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

its concerning that he is still managing the injury.

It seems to have gone on for months and months now?, is it that he just isnt fully recovered even now from the injury?, or is this some sort of long term management needed?

Rather concerning, is he even going to be fully fit for the new season!?!?!

It is particularly given the quick turnaround to the premier league. If England go far, he'll have what, like a week off, and then a fortnight pre season with Villa before the season starts. He could have done with 2 to 3 months of nothing.

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

How many of those games are against Bulgaria or Gibraltar? Or teams of their ilk

Not sure where @blandy got those stats from.

englandstats.com | 1190 Raheem Sterling (2012 - 2021) suggests 7 goals in his last 12 England appearances.  The 7 consist of 3 vs Bulgaria, and 1 vs Croatia, San Marino, Iceland and Kosovo. 

We haven't really played any "big" nations in that time so it's hard to criticise him for not scoring against teams we haven't played.

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

I haven't seen anyone on the verge of paranoid meltdown, just a number who are very frustrated as they feel that this England team could be much better if our manager made better decisions.  Of course this is subjective but if you don't want subjective discussions I am really not sure why you would come on to a discussion forum.

Croatia were a decent side a few years back.  When we lost to them in 2018 we did get overrun in CM but we only had Henderson in there - the other two were Lingard and Alli because we had a dearth of CM'ers.  We don't now - we have two strong "6"s in Rice and Phillips (I would say competing for one spot) and two/three strong "8"s to play alongside in Mount, Hendo and Bellingham.  That is well balanced with Jack at "10" in front who is also decent in the tackle (certainly better than Alli and Lingard from what I have seen).   Equally, the Croatians are ageing and not as strong as they were 3 years ago.  We should have won much more comfortably and I, and a large number on here, believe that we would have if Safegate had picked a better balanced side.  And that's not mentioning a RB playing LB ahead of Man U's POTS and the LB from the CL winners.

Equally, that balanced set up but would serve us much better in later games against better opponents where ball retention becomes even more important.  We will need this if we are looking to win the tournament.

Some of the posts I've read are absolutely not subjective and most definitely paranoid. The one I was replying too and agreed with was fine, so not sure why you are questioning me being on this forum. Odd.

Anyway, I'm very very far from a Southgate fanboy however he clearly has his ideas and strategies so you have to give some credit for winning the first game. Yes it was dull and we should have put more goals past a poor Croatia side but a win is a win and Jack gets some extra rest. If and when we play better sides and Southgate loses by being too negative or playing wrong players then he'll rightly get slammed. However, as frustrating as it may be It's no point getting worked up over something that hasn't happened yet. ITS THE FIRST GAME. 

Those fans who cant seem to muster up ANY enthusiasm for an England win purely because our star boy didn't feature is quite tragic really. Anyway let's hope he features against Scotland!

Edited by birdman
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, birdman said:

Those fans who cant seem to muster up ANY enthusiasm for an England win purely because our star boy didn't feature is quite tragic really. Anyway let's hope he features against Scotland!

It is indeed tragic, but it is extremely likely that Sterling scoring was bad news for our long term involvement in the competition. Sterling scoring means he'll continue playing and we'll struggle against even half way decent opposition. 

I think watching the game at home on my own instead of at a pub surrounded by England fans probably also had had impact on my lack of celebration. But primarily I think it was a realisation that this tournament is going to be depressing and boring watching, even when we do win.

Edited by MrBlack

6 minutes ago, chomer said:

Not sure where @blandy got those stats from.

englandstats.com | 1190 Raheem Sterling (2012 - 2021) suggests 7 goals in his last 12 England appearances.  The 7 consist of 3 vs Bulgaria, and 1 vs Croatia, San Marino, Iceland and Kosovo. 

We haven't really played any "big" nations in that time so it's hard to criticise him for not scoring against teams we haven't played.

I just mooneyed it. Loads of links. Opts joe says

49 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He's definitely been outside training with the other players previously so it is not "normal". Maybe a planned day off rather than a deterioration of the condition though. Could have been pre agreed he'll do 1 in 3 days with low stress exercises

Definitely looking more and more like a case of how much managing its going to need going forwards, rather than if it will be needed.

52 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Explains why he didn't play then. 

You don't play players who aren't fully fit in a major tournament. You just don't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Didn't Southgate himself say that he didn't want to risk Jack due to his injuries? I know he did a while back in May ahead of the tournament.

He's not the best manager and I don't like his way of setting up, but us being conspiricy theorists about Jack's non-inclusion on the opening game is just a little embarrassing imo.

• Like 1

Â