Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

The way they go about construction in hurricane prone regions is going to need a serious rethink.

Perpendicular wooden structures aren't cutting it.

Common sense and the insurance companies will surely reach the same conclusion.

6 hours ago, Xann said:

The way they go about construction in hurricane prone regions is going to need a serious rethink.

Perpendicular wooden structures aren't cutting it.

Common sense and the insurance companies will surely reach the same conclusion.

I think the issue is more about the cost of hurricane proofing construction. 

Some of these nations are very poor. 

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think the issue is more about the cost of hurricane proofing construction. 

Some of these nations are very poor. 

The World is changing. Low tech, low maintenance adaptions will surely need to be made if people are going to continue to live in these places?

Shipping containers, single story builds with earth bulwarks. If encroaching water isn't a problem? Drop part or all underground.

Not as simple as a timber frame and corrugated metals for sure, but it's that, leave or risk injury and death.

• 1 month later...

In late 1992, 1,700 scientists from around the world issued a dire “warning to humanity.” They said humans had pushed Earth's ecosystems to their breaking point and were well on the way to ruining the planet. The letter listed environmental impacts like they were biblical plagues — stratospheric ozone depletion, air and water pollution, the collapse of fisheries and loss of soil productivity, deforestation,  species loss and  catastrophic global climate change caused by the burning of fossil fuels.

“If not checked,” wrote the scientists, led by particle physicist and Union of Concerned Scientists co-founder Henry Kendall, “many of our current practices put at serious risk the future that we wish for human society and the plant and animal kingdoms, and may so alter the living world that it will be unable to sustain life in the manner that we know.”

But things were only going to get worse.

To mark the letter's 25th anniversary, researchers have issued a bracing follow-up. In a communique published Monday in the journal BioScience, more than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries assess the world's latest responses to various environmental threats. Once again, they find us sorely wanting.

“Humanity has failed to make sufficient progress in generally solving these foreseen environmental challenges, and alarmingly, most of them are getting far worse,” they write.

This letter, spearheaded by Oregon State University ecologist William Ripple, serves as a “second notice,” the authors say: “Soon it will be too late to shift course away from our failing trajectory.”

Global climate change sits atop the new letter's list of planetary threats. Global average temperatures have risen by more than half a degree Celsius since 1992, and annual carbon dioxide emissions have increased by 62 percent.

But it's far from the only problem people face. Access to fresh water has declined, as has the amount of forestland and the number of wild-caught fish (a marker of the health of global fisheries). The number of ocean dead zones has increased. The human population grew by a whopping 2 billion, while the populations of all other mammals, reptiles, amphibians and fish have declined by nearly 30 percent.

Washington Post via MSN

• 6 months later...

Scientists shocked by mysterious deaths of ancient trees

A tree regarded as the icon of the African savannah is dying in mysterious circumstances.

_101976775_mediaitem101976774.jpg

International scientists have discovered that most of the oldest and largest African baobab trees have died over the past 12 years.

They suspect the demise may be linked to climate change, although they have no direct evidence of this.

The tree can grow to an enormous size, and may live hundreds if not thousands of years.

The researchers, from universities in South Africa, Romania and the US, say the loss of the trees is "an event of an unprecedented magnitude".

Revealing the findings in the journal Nature Plants, they say the deaths were not caused by an epidemic.

"We suspect that the demise of monumental baobabs may be associated at least in part with significant modifications of climate conditions that affect southern Africa in particular," said the team, led by Dr Adrian Patrut of Babes-Bolyai University in Romania. "However, further research is necessary to support or refute this supposition."

'Shocking and very sad'

The researchers have been visiting ancient trees across southern Africa since 2005, using radio carbon dating to investigate their structure and age.

Unexpectedly, they found that eight of the 13 oldest and five of the six largest baobabs had either completely died or had their oldest parts collapse.

Baobab trees have many stems and trunks, often of different ages. In some cases all the stems died suddenly.

"We suspect this is associated with increased temperature and drought," Dr Patrut told BBC News. "It's shocking and very sad to see them dying."

The trees that have died or are dying are found in Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Botswana and Zambia. They are all between 1,000 and more than 2,500 years old. 

_101967235_gettyimages-898442490.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44418849

The trees that have died or are dying are found in Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Botswana and Zambia. They are all between 1,000 and more than 2,500 years old. 

The Ents are dying ?????

Edited by TheAuthority
Link added

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Antarctica is losing ice three times faster than it was in 2012 in a new study by scientists. 

Well they should stop studying it then, and fast!

On 12/06/2018 at 01:31, TheAuthority said:

Scientists shocked by mysterious deaths of ancient trees

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44418849

The Ents are dying ?????

Sad and angering.

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Antarctica is losing ice three times faster than it was in 2012 in a new study by scientists. 

Do you have a link?

6 minutes ago, limpid said:

Do you have a link?

I believe the Bristol University  study was the source for yesterday’s news

A new study led by scientists from the University of Bristol has provided an up-to-date insight into the impact of melting land ice on sea levels. 

The new estimate shows there has been a six-fold increase in annual land ice contribution to global sea level rise from the mid-1990s to the early 2010s.

Land ice describes permanent ice on the surface of the Earth, which comprises the two ice sheets that cover Antarctica and Greenland as well as numerous smaller glaciers and ice caps.

Over the course of the 20th century, melting glaciers and ice caps dominated the overall contribution of land ice to global sea level rise.....

More on link

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only a complete imbecile would suggest that burning fossil fuels and the mass production of grazing livestock doesn't at the very least exacerbate a naturally occurring phenomenon.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Record breaking heat today in Maine, total scorcher. I haven't left my apartment which is somewhat cool despite no a/c.

Not well versed in this discussion but Melbourne has had it's coldest Winter in 36 years. We also experienced our hottest ever April on record and November 2017 saw our longest heatwave in 150 years. I suppose that's seemingly insignificant in the scheme of things, not sure it's an indicator of any crisis for the planet but what would I know, could well be showing my ignorance on the subject.

On 14/06/2018 at 06:25, Rugeley Villa said:

I was stopped in the street by a charity campaigning and taking donations for animal welfare and rescue, the guy said the world has lost over 50% of it's wildlife in the last 40 years.

I googled it just now and it's correct according to a WWF report.

I have wondered (probably gonna sound like a knob) if these kind of things are related to our elliptical orbit.

Now I know Earths orbit around the sun is elliptical, so we stay in the same position on the orbit.. BUT our orbit is also elliptical, so maybe we're entering a period whereby we are closer to the sun during summers and further/cooler in winters?

I am an absolute believer in man made global warming, but I do wonder if we're over-estimating our impact on it in such a short amount of time.

I'm sure I could probably just Google it :)

I did;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/ice-ages-have-been-linked-to-the-earths-wobbly-orbit-but-when-is-the-next-one-70069

Over the last two and a half million years the Earth has undergone more than 50 major ice ages, each having a profound effect on our planet’s climate. But what causes them and how do we predict when the next big ice age will hit?

About 40 years ago, scientists realised that ice ages were driven by changes in the Earth’s orbit. But, as I recently argued in Nature, it’s not that simple. Scientists are still trying to understand how such wobbles interact with the climate system, particularly greenhouse gases, to push the planet in to or out of an ice age.....

more on link

Maybe something in it afterall? ?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This recent weather makes me definitely believe that global warming is not a myth.  Jesus its so hot at nights I can't stand it!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Â