Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

10 hours ago, Genie said:

Shows current temperatures are very similar to those ~5000BC.

I don't think the exact current temperature is what it's trying to show (although it's currently hotter than any other point on the graph).

It's the fact that the biggest change over a short distance by an enormous amount has happened since the industrial revolution.

• 1 month later...

World Set To Lose Two-Thirds Of Its Wildlife By 2020, Says WWF

Our planet is entering a new era: the so-called Anthropocene, where human activity has overwhelmingly and irreversibly altered the geology and ecosystems of our planet. Along with changing the atmosphere, earth, seas, and forests, this brave new world has a lot less wild animals.

IFL Science

Our planet is entering a new era: the so-called Anthropocene, where human activity has overwhelmingly and irreversibly altered the geology and ecosystems of our planet. Along with changing the atmosphere, earth, seas, and forests, this brave new world has a lot less wild animals.

57 minutes ago, Xann said:

It is estimated that 99.9% of all species that have ever lived are extinct.

Man is just as much a natural extinction phenomenon as any other but asteroids don't have such an inflated idea of their own value to the solar system. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Oh, **** it then, why bother, I'll start some forest fires on my way up north to club some baby seals.

But that is the point, there is no need to do anything except carry on as we are - the deed is done and it's too late.

You don't have to go out of your way to kill seals because climate change will destroy their habitat and they are already choking on your discarded plastic.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Oh, **** it then, why bother, I'll start some forest fires on my way up north to club some baby seals.

Part of the problem is that there are too many baby seals to be sustainable so by going up and clubbing a few you'll be doing their population a favour and ensuring their survival

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Isn't that the way of nature , species die , new species fill the void ? isn't it something like 99% of all species to have lived are now extinct ?

I get that these extinctions are being caused by man  (or accelerated )  , but extinction can be a positive force by increasing biodiversity and allowing other species to thrive.

No Dinosaur death = no birds / no mammals = no humans

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Isn't that the way of nature , species die , new species fill the void ? isn't it something like 99% of all species to have lived are now extinct ?

I get that these extinctions are being caused by man  (or accelerated )  , but extinction can be a positive force by increasing biodiversity and allowing other species to thrive.

No Dinosaur death = no birds / no mammals = no humans

That's crap... man tamed the dinosaurs and used them before horses came along.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Isn't that the way of nature..?

MMV might be a hermaphrodite alien intelligence, whose lifespan encompasses the birth and death of stars, and to whom the passing of species seems as the blink of an eye...

... but most of us will be aware, you are trolling :)

1 minute ago, Xann said:

MMV might be a hermaphrodite alien intelligence, whose lifespan encompasses the birth and death of stars, and to whom the passing of species seems as the blink of an eye...

... but most of us will be aware, you are trolling :)

meh trolling is reserved for political threads , teachers , students and remoaners  ...

This was  a genuine question ,  I saw an exhibit at the Natural History museum with the kids a few years back where they posed the question is extinction of species a bad thing ? and it sorta reminded me

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

This was  a genuine question ,  I saw an exhibit at the Natural History museum with the kids a few years back where they posed the question is extinction of species a bad thing ? and it sorta reminded me

I genuinely don't believe you consider the struggling rhinos and orangutans in such an emotionless and analytical manner.

Even if you have rationalised an unfortunate eventuality, does it not stink of wrong?

Why all this World travel? To boast to your kids and grandkids about stuff they'll only see on Youtube?

You Troll.

Which is much better than word removed :D

51 minutes ago, Xann said:

I genuinely don't believe you consider the struggling rhinos and orangutans in such an emotionless and analytical manner.

Even if you have rationalised an unfortunate eventuality, does it not stink of wrong?

Why all this World travel? To boast to your kids and grandkids about stuff they'll only see on Youtube?

You Troll.

Which is much better than word removed :D

My kids have swam with Whale sharks  in Djibouti I don't need to boast to them about anything :) 

Interestingly , some species of Rhino's were culled for a while in SA as they had too many of them , one suggestion was to export them to Kenya  but I think the ones they sent  just got poached ... the area I went to in Kenya bought in a shoot to kill policy on the hunters which worked until one of the game keepers  got done for murder

I've seen planet of the apes so the orang-utans can do one far as I'm concerned :) 

I got crucified on here once for saying I'd rather save the whale shark than humans so you're right to a degree , I'm not that heatless (unless you happen to be human ) but I was merely pointing out that stuff dies and then other species thrive as a result , It's unlikely humans would be here if it didn't ... when the aliens land and harvest us for food i'll be the first to say oh well that's life ....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

US House Science Committee tweets Breitbart climate misinformation

"Global temperatures plunge," the article falsely exclaims.

The current leadership of the US House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology has a fraught relationship with climate science. Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Tex.), who chairs the committee, has used its subpoena powers to target NOAA climate scientists whose temperature dataset he does not like. He has also gone after the attorneys general of New York and Massachusetts, who are pursuing a securities fraud investigation of ExxonMobil related to its public denial of climate change.

On Thursday, the committee’s Twitter account hopped on this anti-climate-science bandwagon. It tweeted a link to a story titled “Global temperatures plunge. Icy silence from climate alarmists” that was published by Breitbart—the hard-right, white-nationalist-supporting news outlet that saw its chairman, Steve Bannon, become President-elect Donald Trump’s chief strategist.

The article was written by James Delingpole, a columnist who has made a career out of insult-laden polemics against climate science. (In an episode of BBC’s Horizon, Delingpole famously admitted that he never reads scientific papers and called himself “an interpreter of interpretations.”) In this case, Delingpole mostly tacked a few put-downs onto quotes from a Daily Mail story written by David Rose—who also has a long history of writing deeply misleading stories about climate science.

arsTechnica

Â