Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

If you watch lectures by Dr Julia Slingo, Chief Scientist at the MET, she makes it clear that scientists do not know what the consequences of climate change will be because they will not occur for another 40 years. 

The question is whether those who call themselves scientists should be allowed to tell us that they know, when they appear on television or elsewhere in the media?

Does the precautionary principle give them a free pass or should the ethics of science require them to include the doubts and maybes in their pronouncements?

Science surely becomes politics when they offer one version for a scientific audience and quite another to the rest of us.  

The forward of Paltridge's book was by Christopher Monckton.

A proper swivel eyed, climate change denying, UKIP loon.

TtJQPYk.jpg

That's pedigree. This seems like a pedigree show - I'm sold.

The weather girl was easier on the eye though.

Oh my word.

Nobel prize for the discovery of electron tunnelling in superconductors.

His film 'Climate Hustle' was paid for by CFACT, in turn funded by Exxon Mobil and various other sources with vested interests.

I heard a piece on the radio where an Antartica expert said you could drill down into the ice and pull out a tube of ice that would give you a view into the past through air bubbles. He said that around the time of the Industrial revolution the Co2 levels in the water raised to the highest they'd ever seen before.

21 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

I heard a piece on the radio where an Antartica expert said you could drill down into the ice and pull out a tube of ice that would give you a view into the past through air bubbles. He said that around the time of the Industrial revolution the Co2 levels in the water raised to the highest they'd ever seen before.

The increase in Co2 is not disputed, it increased by 72 parts per million from 1898 to 1998.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The increase in Co2 is not disputed, it increased by 72 parts per million from 1898 to 1998.

Yeah, that was the thing I couldn't quite remember.

Anyway, what I found interesting was that it could be dated back to the Industrial Revolution. Don't ask me how though, not got a clue.

41 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Yeah, that was the thing I couldn't quite remember.

Anyway, what I found interesting was that it could be dated back to the Industrial Revolution. Don't ask me how though, not got a clue.

You just told us how a couple of posts back !:D

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

I meant more indepth smart arse :D 

It doesn't really need to be in depth . They take samples of trapped air in the ice . It's not that different to a fossil really . The further down the ice you go , the further into the past you go !

(To be fair I have a degree in youtube science videos):D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

It doesn't really need to be in depth . They take samples of trapped air in the ice . It's not that different to a fossil really . The further down the ice you go , the further into the past you go !

(To be fair I have a degree in youtube science videos):D

I know but how do they know what time frame they're looking at? Say they go 100 feet into the ice. Can they tell that's 1920, 1850, 1716? Or are the estimations much rougher?

Or, do they look at the amount of Co2 in the air bubbles and say "That must have been around the time of the Industrial Revolution"?

That's what I don't understand.

5 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I know but how do they know what time frame they're looking at? Say they go 100 feet into the ice. Can they tell that's 1920, 1850, 1716? Or are the estimations much rougher?

Or, do they look at the amount of Co2 in the air bubbles and say "That must have been around the time of the Industrial Revolution"?

That's what I don't understand.

From what I gather it's similar to the rings on a tree .

• Like 2

They can date some bands from records of vulcanism in various historic texts. Krakatoa, Pompeii and the like.

Here's some research into a mystery incident.

ICE CORE AND PALAEOCLIMATIC EVIDENCE FOR THE TIMING AND NATURE OF THE GREAT MID-13TH CENTURY VOLCANIC ERUPTION

OneLibrary

• Like 1

Â