Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Unfortunately, it's not just the energy companies that don't like it.

Several local schemes for small scale power stations and wind farms have been rejected due to local resident campaigns against actually being able to see how the energy is provided to leave the sky box on standby all night.

I was involved in trying to get planning permission for a renewable energy power station on part of the old British Steel site just up the coast, on land currently poisoned with heavy metals. The planning authority rejected it as it wouldn't help 'future tourism plans' for the area.

On Anglesey at the moment there's the potential for a new power station to provide energy, jobs and industry on the island. The locals are campaigning against unsightly pylons across the fields.

Unfortunately, we need some lights and heating to start going off before your average punter will take this seriously.

arguments-against-nuclear-oil-coal-comic

• Like 4

21 hours ago, blandy said:

Like Dave, I cycle, try to minimise car miles, try use locally produced stuff as far as poss. Walk to the shops rather than drive, use public transport, support campaigns to get rid of stuff like the microbeads, plastic bags and that, Support environmental charity, re-use, recycle, compost and all the other stuff. None of it is hard, though maybe I'm in a lucky position.

So what about long-haul flights; any of those?

Podcast or transcript here: https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4549

I encourage everyone to listen to this episode, or to read and share its transcript online. Today I'm going to talk about some simple factual observations that anyone can make, that unambiguously prove human activity is driving warming of the Earth. I'm not going to mention climate models, politics, predictions, economics, or how many scientists agree or disagree — any of the topics on which there is debate. I'm only going to share a few of the most solid basics, the results of absolute measurements, over which there is no debate. These are the things nobody disagrees with, but so few people understand. Despite its contentious topic, this episode is intended to be — and should be — completely non-controversial.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

There are diseases hidden in ice, and they are waking up

Long-dormant bacteria and viruses, trapped in ice and permafrost for centuries, are reviving as Earth's climate warms

BBC

I can't watch the video as I'm at work, but I'm assuming it's a PR person from Greenpeace making a fool of themself. 

At which point, it's worthwhile remembering that Greenpeace is a pressure group, not a peer-reviewed scientific journal. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

High risk of 'unprecedented' winter downpours - Met Office

There's an increased risk of "unprecedented" winter downpours such as those that caused extensive flooding in 2014, the UK Met Office says.

Their study suggests there's now a one in three chance of monthly rainfall records being broken in England and Wales in winter.

The estimate reflects natural variability plus changes in the UK climate as a result of global warming.

But a supercomputer was needed to understand the scale of increased risk.

Across the winter of 2013-14, a series of storms hit the UK leading to extensive flooding in many parts. The amount of rain that fell in much of southern England and the Midlands was the heaviest in 100 years. Cleaning up from the resulting floods took time and money - the bill for the Thames valley alone was over £1bn.

Met Office researchers say that there was nothing in the observational record to indicate that such an unprecedented amount of rainfall was possible.

However, by using a climate model that takes the current climate period from 1981-2015 as its base, and running it hundreds of times on the Met Office supercomputer, researchers were able to find many modelled months with similar or greater rainfall to January 2014.

BBC

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2016 at 07:47, darrenm said:

One redeeming feature of North east Wales is the amount of wind generators up there. Going through deeside and Denbighshire there's hundreds in the sea. It's beautiful.

It's already windy enough in Wales without giant fans adding to it . Seems like a colossal waste of my taxes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's an el nino\la nina year, weather goes crazy in such years just like 97-98. Is global warming man made? Definitely, however I don't think taking a freak hurricane year like this one and shouting about it is the proof that is needed. The icecaps, warming climate in the marginal zones around the world and desertification of valuable land are much better indicators. The biggest polluter in this world is farming. Not only is farming ruining top soil and carbon locking habitat around the world at an alarming rate, but it's considered "normal" to lose top soil at levels which will leave us without farmable land in 60 years.

Ag school should be ashamed of what they are teaching students - it's all about chemicals and machinery rather than how to manage your farm so you regenerate the land. Perma-grazing, mono culture cropping and growing things that don't belong in greenhouses in the middle of Scotland are examples of things that should be discouraged. Cattle farming is one of the worst polluters and we really need to stop eating so much beef.

Â