Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

On 11/12/2019 at 21:22, wazzap24 said:

I think I’m out on my own with my opinion of Watchmen from a VT perspective, some of the other guys like @Chindie, @sne and @Designer1 aren’t big fans. 

It’s been fantastic imo, so I’d highly recommend giving it a chance. It’s better than the film and they don’t mess with the book’s ending. 

It’s pretty much a direct sequel, set 30 years later.

It’s awesome. 

Watchmen picked up a bit towards the latter half of the series. 

Overall it finished on a respectable 7/10 or a strong 6 for me. Not great, not terrible.

(I grade on a Gazzetta dello Sport curve so a 7 is a good grade)

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Watched a TV mini series about Carlos Tevez's young life. Wasn't amazing, but I rather enjoyed it for some reason. Was called Apache something. 

Me reading this post:

"Why the hell would they make a show about Carlos Tevez's wife? I wonder how young she actually is? I bet she must be hot. Let me google. Oh. It says life. Carlos Tevez's young LIFE!"

• Haha 2

On 17/12/2019 at 10:24, sne said:

Watchmen picked up a bit towards the latter half of the series. 

Overall it finished on a respectable 7/10 or a strong 6 for me. Not great, not terrible.

(I grade on a Gazzetta dello Sport curve so a 7 is a good grade)

My favourite meme of 2019. 

63D5FD3F-080C-45B2-AA64-08760A695A32-311-0000000D0631A181.jpg

• Like 2

Great finish to Watchmen. Far more Leftovers than Lost and Lindelof was true to his word - it had a proper, satisfying ending. 

It’s right up there for me as one of the best stand alone series of the past few years. 

Brilliant stuff. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

witcher reviews suggests they've made a bit of a mess of things :( 

Interesting. The only reviews I've read (admittedly just the 3) have been overwhelmingly positive.

I'm really looking forward to it.

the reviews I've read suggests its tried to elevate the stories of the 2 women in to the arc of Geralt and as a result makes it a mish mash that if you're in to the games you can just about follow, if you read the books you wont like and if you've never heard of the witcher before then good luck

On 17/12/2019 at 11:40, KenjiOgiwara said:

Watched a TV mini series about Carlos Tevez's young life. Wasn't amazing, but I rather enjoyed it for some reason. Was called Apache something. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 16/12/2019 at 21:13, mikeyp102 said:

His Dark materials has been very good so far. 

I've enjoyed it very much.

Big fan of the books so was eager for someone to get it right.

It's not perfect by any means though. I think parts of it are very cheesy which is always a bug bear of mine. Particularly stuff around the gyptians. I'd rather it was a bit darker.

I also don't think they're doing a very good job of explaining some things. Particularly around the daemons. I don't think they've explained the bond between human and daemon at all well. The part where

Spoiler

she's about to get Pan cut away from her

is absolutely heartbreaking in the book because Pullman does such a good job of explaining how horrendous it would be to be away from your Daemon. There's a part in the book where Pan is pulling away from Lyra and it explains so well how utterly heartbreakign that is for Lyra. The show doesn't do that.

I also don't think they've explained the taboo around touching other people's daemons either. The part where

Spoiler

she's trying to run away in Bolvangar and they stop her by grabbing her daemon

should have been shocking. But they'd not really spent much time building up how shocking that would be.

I think those are my biggest issues with it. I'm just not sure they're doing a great job of explaining some of it. My other half said she'd be absolutely lost if she didn't have me explaining certain things to her. 

I'm also not a massive fan of Dafne Keen but she's far better than the girl who played Lyra in the movie version.

I'm picking holes in it because I'm so desperate for it to be good. Overall I think they've done a good job and I really hope they do the full trilogy. it's a far better effort than the movie

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've enjoyed it very much.

Big fan of the books so was eager for someone to get it right.

It's not perfect by any means though. I think parts of it are very cheesy which is always a bug bear of mine. Particularly stuff around the gyptians. I'd rather it was a bit darker.

I also don't think they're doing a very good job of explaining some things. Particularly around the daemons. I don't think they've explained the bond between human and daemon at all well. The part where

Hide contents

she's about to get Pan cut away from her

is absolutely heartbreaking in the book because Pullman does such a good job of explaining how horrendous it would be to be away from your Daemon. There's a part in the book where Pan is pulling away from Lyra and it explains so well how utterly heartbreakign that is for Lyra. The show doesn't do that.

I also don't think they've explained the taboo around touching other people's daemons either. The part where

Hide contents

she's trying to run away in Bolvangar and they stop her by grabbing her daemon

should have been shocking. But they'd not really spent much time building up how shocking that would be.

I think those are my biggest issues with it. I'm just not sure they're doing a great job of explaining some of it. My other half said she'd be absolutely lost if she didn't have me explaining certain things to her. 

I'm also not a massive fan of Dafne Keen but she's far better than the girl who played Lyra in the movie version.

I'm picking holes in it because I'm so desperate for it to be good. Overall I think they've done a good job and I really hope they do the full trilogy. it's a far better effort than the movie

Bang on. Particularly the bits you've put in Spoilers. I guess in it's (the shows) defence, there are some things that are just easier to convey with the written word.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Actually disagree with this though. I think she's an immense talent and some of her work in the series has been absolutely top notch.

32 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Actually disagree with this though. I think she's an immense talent and some of her work in the series has been absolutely top notch.

Looks like you just disagreed with yourself

• Like 2

Â