Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

On 11/10/2017 at 12:46, sheepyvillian said:

I'm loving the Duece, the way they've created that whole 70s vibe is really impressive. 

Anyone noticed Method Man , in the guise of a vain, smooth,Pimp ?

The Deuce is great

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Do they make mention of what Ed Kemper did to his mother?

Yes, plenty.  I've watched three episodes, I was a bit worried as the acting seemed a bit wooden in the first episode, especially when he's meeting his girlfriend in the bar, but it's just the way the main character is meant to be I think.  It got better over the next two as more characters were introduced. I think it should just build and build for the rest of the series.  Well worth a look.

• Like 1

2 episodes in, Mindhunter is awesome. Feels a bit like Zodiac the series, unsurprisingly.

Some rough bits (some dodgy acting, sex scenes are completely pointless, main character is irritatingly earnest) but otherwise, fantastic. The guy playing Kemper is scarily good, he's bang on to what he is actually like. To it's credit it also doesn't shy away from the horror of things - Kemper did horrific things, for a show about understanding apparently motiveless evil you need to know what he did.

I hope it keeps up the standard, there's potentially something incredible here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

2 episodes in, Mindhunter is awesome. Feels a bit like Zodiac the series, unsurprisingly.

Some rough bits (some dodgy acting, sex scenes are completely pointless, main character is irritatingly earnest) but otherwise, fantastic. The guy playing Kemper is scarily good, he's bang on to what he is actually like. To it's credit it also doesn't shy away from the horror of things - Kemper did horrific things, for a show about understanding apparently motiveless evil you need to know what he did.

I hope it keeps up the standard, there's potentially something incredible here.

Never heard of that Kemper fella before this series. Thought he'd be more famous given his crimes and physical stature.

Are the two spooks real people or composites? I don't want to read around this programme until I've finished it.

8 minutes ago, coda said:

Never heard of that Kemper fella before this series. Thought he'd be more famous given his crimes and physical stature.

Are the two spooks real people or composites? I don't want to read around this programme until I've finished it.

Kemper isn't very well known. He didn't commit 'spectacular' murders, and what he's most well known for is so graphic people understandably shy away from it. He's basically quite dull, but his story is fascinating. He used to pick up girls from a college campus and give them lifts, basically testing himself as to whether he'd kill them - some just got a lift, some were killed. The ones he picked up after a fight with his mom usually didn't survive. He also kinda gets off on the idea of himself as this monster, his descriptions of his thoughts around the murders go into detail about his knife and his gun trying to sound both intimidating but also very matter of fact. He loves being interviewed. Few serial killers talk much, Kemper has hundreds of hours of tape, probably because it plays into his fantasy of being a cop - being 'helpful' is the next best thing.

The main character is based on a real guy, who wrote the book this is based on. I'm not sure how accurate a portrayal it is but the guy himself is one of those 'changed the way the world works' kinda guys. His talks with the likes of Kemper moved on catching serial killers massively. Can't speak for the other characters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ozark ending was abit lame. Overall would give a 6 maybe 7 at best out if 10

As a proponent of 'out of 10', your scoring wouldn't help me if I hadn't already watched Ozark. I'd take your 7 as 'worth a go' and your 6 as 'give it a miss'!

Incidently, I gave Ozark an 8 and didn't mark it down for the relatively undramatic ending as at least it felt reasonable 'real'.

8 hours ago, brommy said:

As a proponent of 'out of 10', your scoring wouldn't help me if I hadn't already watched Ozark. I'd take your 7 as 'worth a go' and your 6 as 'give it a miss'!

Incidently, I gave Ozark an 8 and didn't mark it down for the relatively undramatic ending as at least it felt reasonable 'real'.

Spoiler

The rednecks shooting one of the cartels leaders as real? That was so unrealistic. Too many far fetched parts in this show in my view.

The ending was predictable and despite it being real was a letdiwn climax.

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

One thing that does annoy me about Mindhunter is how the episodes vary in length in so much.  The last one I watched was only about 35 minutes, yet some of them are above 50.

Surely this is a positive thing? Normally shows are basically subject to the TV schedule of filling the gaps between the adverts. In this case each episode can be as long as it needs to be.

On 07/10/2017 at 16:22, Ingram85 said:

Really getting into Arrested Development now, it took me a good 10 episodes to get into it though. I started off hating Buster but he is far and away my favourite character now. His giggle has me in stitches everytime. 

Watched this years ago and it is definitely Worth a watch for anyone that hasn’t! Very, very funny!

56 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Surely this is a positive thing? Normally shows are basically subject to the TV schedule of filling the gaps between the adverts. In this case each episode can be as long as it needs to be.

True I guess.  It just feels I'm getting gypped somehow.

Â