Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Watched the TV adaptation of the first Strike book - Cuckoo's Calling - this week. By the numbers stuff on the whole, but well made and a few nice performances. Hadn't read the book/s, but it was a nice way to spend a few hours, and something me and the girly equally enjoyed. Which is odd, outside of programmes that involve food or zombies...

I'd recommend reading the books.  I never read Harry Potter so never realised what a great writer JK Rowling is, and I thought the TV series was a bit of a let down in comparison.  As you say, it's watchable stuff but somehow Strike doesn't stand out from other detectives as much as in the books

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know about Gooding. he really annoyed me in it. He just shouted all the time. Maybe that's what OJ was like.

I'd be shouty if i'd slaughtered my ex wife and her lover and had been caught and was bang to rights! 

50 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It's pretty obvious he did it right? It seems crazy he got let off.

Pretty similar to the EU remain campaign. Once they realised it wasn't a walk in the park, it was too late.

Edited by darrenm

yeah the ESPN documentary goes further in showing why he got away with it, theres what i consider a big thing missing from the drama too in the closing statements

Spoiler

im sure they didnt include Johnny's line to the jury about the german public having the chance to stop hitler and the holocaust but they got that vote wrong, dont you do the same 

that properly blew my mind, thats beyond naughty

14 hours ago, omariqy said:

It's pretty obvious he did it right? It seems crazy he got let off.

It was a combination of a prosecution team that made a series of shocking errors and a mostly black jury who weren't interested in what actually happened and just wanted retribution for some of the shocking things happening to the black community at that time.

Basically OJ was bloody lucky but they got him in the end thanks to his complete idiocy.

20 minutes ago, Rodders said:

IIRC i think his second trial for the memorabilia robbery got a much longer sentence than possibly usual, so it seemed a bit like payback, or maybe that's too much narrative sway being placed on it.

the ESPN documentary goes in to it properly, almost definitely a bit redemption

Spoiler

he basically went in to a hotel room, shut the door and said nobody is leaving this room, charged him with kidnapping

the overall arc of his story is pretty incredible

Spoiler

was the whitest black man going at the times of the murders, didnt want to use his race in any of his promotions or much of his lifestyle, used his race to get away with the murders, 2nd time around he started hanging out with more black people and using his race in his lifestyle and he got sent down

5 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

It was a combination of a prosecution team that made a series of shocking errors and a mostly black jury who weren't interested in what actually happened and just wanted retribution for some of the shocking things happening to the black community at that time.

Basically OJ was bloody lucky but they got him in the end thanks to his complete idiocy.

Yeah it was payback for the Rodney King incident amongst others. 

17 hours ago, Rodders said:

IIRC i think his second trial for the memorabilia robbery got a much longer sentence than possibly usual, so it seemed a bit like payback, or maybe that's too much narrative sway being placed on it.

It's hard to feel sympathy for him because he should definitely still be in prison for murder. But he definitely got screwed over in that memorabilia trial.

He basically went into a room where he seemed to genuinely think people were trying to sell off his personal property with a couple of friends with the intention of taking it back.
One of his friends had a gun (which I don't think OJ knew about but I might be wrong there) and one of them (again I don't think it was OJ but maybe it was) said something like "nobody leaves this room until I get my property back"

And because of the gun and that line he got done for armed kidnapping. 30 odd years.

Seems kind of crazy.

But then again he's out now and he definitely committed the murders, so **** him.

He basically admitted the murders in that ludicrous book "If I Did It"

Oh yeah, he definitely did it, no sympathy, just pointing out there was a sense of "let's quietly ignore the case on it's own merits, and just see what kind of retribution we can add in here"  The murder trial was just so fascinating. But as the ESPN doc shows, it was almost telegraphed, there was so much build up in his relationship that said "this guy could kill her", it was one heck of a botch job to not convict him - though it is intriguing as to how the jury would have voted even if the prosecution had their shit together.  It was like the ultimate nexus of celebrity, racial tension, legal drama and 24 hour news culture zeroing in together. Hello America. 

Edited by Rodders

35 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Oh yeah, he definitely did it, no sympathy, just pointing out there was a sense of "let's quietly ignore the case on it's own merits, and just see what kind of retribution we can add in here"  The murder trial was just so fascinating. But as the ESPN doc shows, it was almost telegraphed, there was so much build up in his relationship that said "this guy could kill her", it was one heck of a botch job to not convict him - though it is intriguing as to how the jury would have voted even if the prosecution had their shit together.  It was like the ultimate nexus of celebrity, racial tension, legal drama and 24 hour news culture zeroing in together. Hello America. 

Yeah, it's clear the verdict of the case eventually became almost nothing about the murder. It turned into a black vs white vote. 

I remember the case happening but I was too young to realise the racial influences of it. The documentary (and the drama) was really eye opening!

Â