Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I think the highs of Always Sunny are up there with some of the very best sitcoms. There's quite a few episodes that are just ok, rather than brilliant, though. That's bound to happen when you compare a long running sitcom with 130  episodes to a show with only 24. I think having shorter individual series helps, as well. IT Crowd was only 6 episode series, that's a couple of hours of content per series, there's no room for anything but the best material in such a compact series.

• Like 1

Sunny is the funniest sitcom i've ever watched by a mile. IT Crowd was good however, but personally I think Sunny is better for it's sheer character development. Also the ability to be continuously funny after so long is pretty good going!

53 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I wouldn't put Sunny in the same league as I.T crowd either.   

Me too.

I mean, I do love the IT crowd.

But Sunny is Premier League and IT Crowd is Championship. It's not even close.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the highs of Always Sunny are up there with some of the very best sitcoms. There's quite a few episodes that are just ok, rather than brilliant, though. That's bound to happen when you compare a long running sitcom with 130  episodes to a show with only 24. I think having shorter individual series helps, as well. IT Crowd was only 6 episode series, that's a couple of hours of content per series, there's no room for anything but the best material in such a compact series.

Yeah for a comedy to go that long you have to have lots of different writers, some of whom have been better than others.  When it's at its best I think some of the episodes would be equal with the top 5 episodes of IT Crowd.  

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah for a comedy to go that long you have to have lots of different writers, some of whom have been better than others.  When it's at its best I think some of the episodes would be equal with the top 5 episodes of IT Crowd.  

I don't think they did have a lot of different writers, I think the actors write it?

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't think they did have a lot of different writers, I think the actors write it?

They've had over 30 writers.  I think the best episodes are normally written by the gang though. 

• Like 1

finished 13 reasons why, really enjoyed it which seeing as it was a high school drama about suicide that i put on cos i thought the other half might like it surprised me a bit, soundtrack was a bit hit and miss but sometimes really worked, there were some cliches in there but nothing too bad and mainly i thought it was really well cast, half those kids actually looked normal rather than 26 year olds posing

last episode - 

Spoiler

was surprised at how graphic the suicide was, i know netflix have added the warning at the start wonder if they'll end up having to edit that scene too

Spoiler

they gave the impression that the photographer stalker had shot someone / himself and then they showed him with his collection of guns i thought trying to suggest he was planning a columbine type attack on the school, wasnt particularly good taste or needed IMO

Spoiler

the blonde kid who tried to commit suicide wont carry season 2 if thats their plan

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

finished 13 reasons why, really enjoyed it which seeing as it was a high school drama about suicide that i put on cos i thought the other half might like it surprised me a bit, soundtrack was a bit hit and miss but sometimes really worked, there were some cliches in there but nothing too bad and mainly i thought it was really well cast, half those kids actually looked normal rather than 26 year olds posing

last episode - 

Hide contents

was surprised at how graphic the suicide was, i know netflix have added the warning at the start wonder if they'll end up having to edit that scene too

Hide contents

they gave the impression that the photographer stalker had shot someone / himself and then they showed him with his collection of guns i thought trying to suggest he was planning a columbine type attack on the school, wasnt particularly good taste or needed IMO

Hide contents

the blonde kid who tried to commit suicide wont carry season 2 if thats their plan

They probably should have just left it after 1 season. Wasn't really any need for a second. 

yeah i agree, not how it works anymore though, id say at a guess with that cast and setting and then with the controversy doing the marketing for them netflix would consider it a huge success, to be fair everything they do seems to be a huge success...finished the get down, then 13 reasons, i've now got a month to watch sense 8 series 2, master of none series 2, before orange is the new black comes out 

On 2017-5-5 at 09:17, lapal_fan said:

Second Episode of season 12 (Waterpark) Always Sunny might just be the best thing on TV since episode 2 of season 2 of the IT Crowd (The theatre episode).

I cried with laughter.  Everything about it was just perfect.

Mac is the best.

Surely the best epiode of the IT Crowd has to be the funeral episode............FAARRTTHHERR!!

Luke Cage almost at the end. I definitely think this was weaker than Iron Fist, probably the worst out of the bunch. Only character who I liked was shades. theo rossi plays him well. 

One episode left then going to give better call saul another try as so many on here are raving about it. Will need a refresher on season one though. 

Only seen a few episodes of Its always Sunny. Does the inclusion of Danny De Vito in series two improve it? At present I'm a bit meh... but then that's often how US comedies start out, until they develop the characters a bit more.

American Gods, if it can keep this up, might be going into my top series ever list.

Despite very little of consequence happening this week, it is fascinating, beautiful, and ominous.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

American Gods, if it can keep this up, might be going into my top series ever list.

Despite very little of consequence happening this week, it is fascinating, beautiful, and ominous.

Just finished this week's episode.

Really enjoyed it again and the Checkers game was so, so well done.

• Like 1

Strangely I think I'm enjoying it more because I read the book years ago and really enjoyed it, but can barely remember any of the specifics of it bar characters and a few scenarios. You get that jolt of joy when you recall a scene or a name. Like Stormare's character :D

Bloody good so far.

43 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yes, for essentially a 'filler' episode in the grand scheme of things, it was hugely watchable. 

It really has started brilliantly. 

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Only seen a few episodes of Its always Sunny. Does the inclusion of Danny De Vito in series two improve it? At present I'm a bit meh... but then that's often how US comedies start out, until they develop the characters a bit more.

Yes, a lot. But then you get to season 10 after having a blast, rewatch the first series and realise it was always spectacular, you just didn't appreciate it.

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Laughter wise, I don't think anything has ever made me laugh continuously as hard as the gay musical episode of the IT Crowd.

But Always Sunny is like 80% of that every episode. Nothing else has been able to keep that quality for so long in comedy.

The new series is excellent. With the aforementioned water park episode being especially brilliant. I quite enjoyed old woman house too

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I've said before that I think comedies, more than any other genre, really take a long time for you to get into. The formula is always there but it takes a while for you to appreciate the comedy and for the characters to find their feet.

So I agree with you that yes it is a bit "meh" at first. And the introduction of De Vito undoubtedly turns it up a notch.

However, as Darren said, if you go back to the start it has actually always been good, it just doesn't quite click at first.

On a similar note, I'm trying to introduce the other half to Flight of the Conchords. It's a struggle. She doesn't get it AT ALL.

• Like 1

Â