Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Glad to hear it! Episode 3 is a cracker. If you’re not aware it’s split into three acts, each three episodes long, so episode 4 is quite a change of pace too (in a good way).

Yh thanks, I gathered that.

Would love to see these guys/the best writers/animators ion the planet tackle Zelda, if done right I'd pay good money to see that.

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

I’ve finally done Ted Lasso s2. I was worried the absolutely brilliant s1 would be too much to follow up. 

Then they’ve arguably gone and done it even better. 

A genuine masterpiece of a TV series. 

In my top ten shows of all time as of right now but if it keeps on going as it is may break into top 5. Just great writing, acting, etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Waiting for it to finish so can binge it, reviews are terrible but it looks great 

I was just about to say the same thing....metacritic points towards it being a stinker. I might has to pass unless the general consensus on here says otherwise.

On 26/11/2021 at 13:23, chrisp65 said:

Absolute written by algorithm

I think most things are these day's.  It's infuriating in it's predictability,  most dramas feel a bit spreadsheet and tick box heavy.

Good writing takes more they just fill in the blanks these days EG :  Woman Astronaut, has (  ) kids and is recovering from a nasty case of (            ),  was married/divorced/ is twin of/to the pilot (             ) but they had a messy (        )  but she is doing it in memory of her (     ).  Despite the flashbacks from (Iraq / Afghanistan / Small Heath Lidl).

• Like 2

Second episode of the (far better than it should be) GamesMaster reboot is out.

The poke at how appalling most female character designs is appreciated. Quiet is one of the most embarrassing things in the gaming sphere in years.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2021 at 09:54, sne said:

Mayor of Kingstown starring Jeremy Renner among others is quite good so far after 4 eps.

الموسم الاول : مسلسل Mayor of Kingstown مترجم

Did they deliberately name it this just to be annoying and confuse it with Mare of Easttown?

On 28/11/2021 at 10:45, Panto_Villan said:

I feel like Arcane needs a lot more love in this thread. It’s fantastic - the animation is so beautiful it papers over some plot related cracks, and a few places where it’s trying too hard to be cool. But even having said that, the plot goes places I wasn’t expecting and covers a lot of ground. It certainly doesn’t lack for ambition and is way better than any show based on League of Legends has any right to be.

And for what it’s worth, I think going in blind is actually probably best. If you know who the in-game characters are you can spot several plot twists coming a mile away, and it’s also painfully obvious which characters are going to have plot armour.

Quite a few of my friends have watched it on my recommendation and been surprised how much they liked it.

I'm watching this now based on my friend's recommendation. It seems excellent.

I have no idea what League of Legends is so I'm as blind as can be on this one

• Like 1

Pretty interesting watching Alexander Skarsgård in this ep of Succession.

He's pretty much replicating the style of acting and character that his dad Stellan often plays. Don't think I've seen him do that before. It's pretty spot on too.

As someone who's (genuinely) never listened to a Beatles album, and isn't all that fussed on the band, is there much point much watching Get Back? I'm intrigued as obviously the Beatles are the cultural phenomenon of the 20th Century, but not one I've much relationship with, and I've heard it's supposedly a very good documentary (if indulgent). So I fancy watching it. But I equally don't want to spend a few hours shrugging at something I've no real hook in to. Hmm.

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As someone who's (genuinely) never listened to a Beatles album, and isn't all that fussed on the band, is there much point much watching Get Back? I'm intrigued as obviously the Beatles are the cultural phenomenon of the 20th Century, but not one I've much relationship with, and I've heard it's supposedly a very good documentary (if indulgent). So I fancy watching it. But I equally don't want to spend a few hours shrugging at something I've no real hook in to. Hmm.

If you haven't listened to a Beatles album, a deep dive into Let It Be is not a good starting point. 

• Like 4

On 22/11/2021 at 12:00, wilko154 said:

Somehow I've never watched The Wire despite the reviews and the amount of people on here who have recommended it.

Two weeks ago I decided to give it a go; I'm now currently halfway through season 2.

What a show! It took me about 4 episodes to get into it but now I'm hooked.

Would highly recommend if there is anyone left who hasn't seen it either.

I tried three times (I think) to watch it in the past 4/5 years.  I can't quite remember where I kept getting to (the main thing I remember is that lassies excellent boobs) but I just couldn't get into it despite it ticking loads of boxes for me.  I weirdly think if I had watched it years ago when it was first on I would probably have loved it.

I got Amazon last week as it's been a while so was looking forward to finding a few updates plus Wheel of Time was obviously on the radar.

Wheel of Time - hadn't heard of it until around two months ago, I'm not really a reader so no surprise.  It ticks a lot of boxes for me though - fantasy locations, magic, witches, bad ass dudes with swords etc..  I binged the first 3 episodes in one day and to be honest while I enjoyed it enough because of the things I just listed it didn't really blow me away.  Still early days but the casting didn't really do anything for me.   Couldn't really get invested in the characters (at this stage) and I think that's down to the actors.  Might be divisive but I'm really not sure about Rosamund Pike as the 'big pull'?  Anyway, obviously gonna persevere with it so we'll see.  

Bosch - Final season appeared since I last had Amazon.  Was all a bit cliche to be honest, you could see everything coming a mile away.  It wasn't a bad season but just seemed a bit weak to end what was a pretty decent and bad ass character.  

The Office US (Netflix) - Recently started this after years of putting it off.  It's so good, I've binged my way through to season 4 after about a fortnight.  I'm sure there are plenty of fans on here.  I shouldn't but why do I fancy Angela?  Is that weird?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

If you haven't listened to a Beatles album, a deep dive into Let It Be is not a good starting point. 

You have to start at the start when it comes to The Beatles imo.  Please Please Me is such a wonderful album; I can't imagine what that must have been like to listen to as a new thing back in the 60's!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I got Amazon last week as it's been a while so was looking forward to finding a few updates plus Wheel of Time was obviously on the radar.

Wheel of Time - hadn't heard of it until around two months ago, I'm not really a reader so no surprise.  It ticks a lot of boxes for me though - fantasy locations, magic, witches, bad ass dudes with swords etc..  I binged the first 3 episodes in one day and to be honest while I enjoyed it enough because of the things I just listed it didn't really blow me away.  Still early days but the casting didn't really do anything for me.   Couldn't really get invested in the characters (at this stage) and I think that's down to the actors.  Might be divisive but I'm really not sure about Rosamund Pike as the 'big pull'?  Anyway, obviously gonna persevere with it so we'll see.  

Bosch - Final season appeared since I last had Amazon.  Was all a bit cliche to be honest, you could see everything coming a mile away.  It wasn't a bad season but just seemed a bit weak to end what was a pretty decent and bad ass character.  

The Office US (Netflix) - Recently started this after years of putting it off.  It's so good, I've binged my way through to season 4 after about a fortnight.  I'm sure there are plenty of fans on here.  I shouldn't but why do I fancy Angela?  Is that weird?

Get in the queue.

Absolutely love this show, its running again on sky and tried watching it again in the background but it's impossible, it just draws you in, all of it, all of them, it's costing me about 40 mins everyday but I just can't put it down.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I tried three times (I think) to watch it in the past 4/5 years.  I can't quite remember where I kept getting to (the main thing I remember is that lassies excellent boobs) but I just couldn't get into it despite it ticking loads of boxes for me.  I weirdly think if I had watched it years ago when it was first on I would probably have loved it.

I'm on watch number 3 but first since BBC showed it maybe 10 years ago, my opinion on it has changed, I'm spotting different things, it's still incredible TV and second best show ever after sopranos but this time like season 2 which previously I enjoyed I noticed the lack of bubbles and omar, season 4 which was previously the best I'm no longer so sure on

Its so deep its unbelievable 

4 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

You have to start at the start when it comes to The Beatles imo.  Please Please Me is such a wonderful album; I can't imagine what that must have been like to listen to as a new thing back in the 60's!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

No you'll find it crazy boring 

No doubt it's probably well edited and cleaned up etc but it's a cover all bases thing, there's so much of it that a beatles fan will find something in there every now and then, if you're not a beatles fan or have no knowledge of them then all the snippets and gems of good stuff could be lost on you, it's also a documentary that let's the footage tell the story, there's very little interference or input it's just footage of them talking and playing 

Best example I can give you is there's 20 to 30 mins of them trying to piece don't let me down together and I know and like that song so I understand what they're discussing, I have an interest in it because of how they changed it but even for me I don't need that long, they could have trimmed it down, imo the downfall of it is that there's a lot of fat on it 

Another example would be there's at least 3 songs on there that go on to be songs when they go solo but if you don't know those songs then again that's lost 

• Like 2

Â