Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm on watch number 3 but first since BBC showed it maybe 10 years ago, my opinion on it has changed, I'm spotting different things, it's still incredible TV and second best show ever after sopranos but this time like season 2 which previously I enjoyed I noticed the lack of bubbles and omar, season 4 which was previously the best I'm no longer so sure on

Its so deep its unbelievable 

That's dedication.  Do you want to hear something that may annoy you?  I never watched The Sopranos.

Yeah,

I remember when it was on in the early 00's there was something about James Gandolfini I didn't like and that put me off ever watching it.

• Like 1

Just now, troon_villan said:

That's dedication.  Do you want to hear something that may annoy you?  I never watched The Sopranos.

Yeah,

I remember when it was on in the early 00's there was something about James Gandolfini I didn't like and that put me off ever watching it.

I haven't watched breaking bad, was something about 4 of the characters that put me off 😂 I just don't get it

• Like 1

Just now, troon_villan said:

Yeah,

I've not watched the Sopranos fully all the way through episode by episode, but have pretty much covered it in YouTube clips.

Gandolfini was superb in it. His health got worse as the seasons went on. By the end, his heavy breathing was almost a separate character. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I haven't watched breaking bad, was something about 4 of the characters that put me off 😂 I just don't get it

I suppose it just happens!  Different strokes for different folks and all that!  I loved Breaking Bad and BCS but I have no right to have a go!

I've not seen all the so called classics but my champions league of TV is:

1) The Wire

2) The Sopranos (i can count his as seen practically most of it)

3) The Shield

4) 24 or Banshee (can't decide)

Never seen Breaking Bad

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've not watched the Sopranos fully all the way through episode by episode, but have pretty much covered it in YouTube clips.

Gandolfini was superb in it. His health got worse as the seasons went on. By the end, his heavy breathing was almost a separate character. 

I had to check when it first came out.  1999 apparently so let's say it's popularity in the UK would have been high in 2001.  I would have been 15 in 2001.

I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and WWE so probably gave JG a tough break. 

I struggle watching any new shows now as they either get canned half way through or they seem to go on forever, with no defined end. 

Has the golden age of TV gone? Stuff like 24, Lost, Breaking Bad, Wire, Shield. Sopranos, etc, are all old now. Have we passed the golden era?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No you'll find it crazy boring 

No doubt it's probably well edited and cleaned up etc but it's a cover all bases thing, there's so much of it that a beatles fan will find something in there every now and then, if you're not a beatles fan or have no knowledge of them then all the snippets and gems of good stuff could be lost on you, it's also a documentary that let's the footage tell the story, there's very little interference or input it's just footage of them talking and playing 

Best example I can give you is there's 20 to 30 mins of them trying to piece don't let me down together and I know and like that song so I understand what they're discussing, I have an interest in it because of how they changed it but even for me I don't need that long, they could have trimmed it down, imo the downfall of it is that there's a lot of fat on it 

Another example would be there's at least 3 songs on there that go on to be songs when they go solo but if you don't know those songs then again that's lost 

I totally agree. I love the Beatles and I understand why they’ve left so much in, because why not, but I’ve had it on the background whilst playing football manager. 

My favourite part was watching McCartney messing about and  coming up with Get Back. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

I struggle watching any new shows now as they either get canned half way through or they seem to go on forever, with no defined end. 

Has the golden age of TV gone? Stuff like 24, Lost, Breaking Bad, Wire, Shield. Sopranos, etc, are all old now. Have we passed the golden era?

Originality will always be an important thing when a show first comes out.  Then you have to think of longevity and how the subject matter will look in 15/20 years.  I think that was my problem with The Wire, the whole idea of it was so dated by the time i watched it that I couldn't invest myself in the characters/plots/drama.

Casting is so important too.  

Then you have to think of the 'yoof' of today and how they want everything condensed into clips that disappear after 10 seconds.  How will that pan out for us?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't think it's gone it's just diluted, there's too much for anyone to possibly watch it all

My list is currently at around 15 shows that I need to watch with a varying number of seasons meaning its at over 20 seasons of TV, 10 x 1 hour per season as an average then say I watch 3 or 4 hours of TV a day during home office I've got around 6 weeks worth of TV to watch 

Also got about 10 films on the list to get through

And add money heist, voir, the witcher, times square killer, landscapers, 1883, station eleven, book of boba fett to the list in December 

It never stops but its too hard to stand out from the noise 

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No you'll find it crazy boring 

No doubt it's probably well edited and cleaned up etc but it's a cover all bases thing, there's so much of it that a beatles fan will find something in there every now and then, if you're not a beatles fan or have no knowledge of them then all the snippets and gems of good stuff could be lost on you, it's also a documentary that let's the footage tell the story, there's very little interference or input it's just footage of them talking and playing 

Best example I can give you is there's 20 to 30 mins of them trying to piece don't let me down together and I know and like that song so I understand what they're discussing, I have an interest in it because of how they changed it but even for me I don't need that long, they could have trimmed it down, imo the downfall of it is that there's a lot of fat on it 

Another example would be there's at least 3 songs on there that go on to be songs when they go solo but if you don't know those songs then again that's lost 

I'll need to watch this.  Is it only on Disney? 

One irk I have in general with documentaries is how they drag it on for far too long diluting the main source content.  Though I'll put up with it for this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I'll need to watch this.  Is it only on Disney? 

One irk I have in general with documentaries is how they drag it on for far too long diluting the main source content.  Though I'll put up with it for this.

Yeah its on Disney and no doubt the high seas, 3 epsidoes of 2.5 hours long, weekly release 

Disney were doing a £1 month hence why I'm currently on it thinking I'd watch this, loki and hawkeye 

Its hard to say disappointing as I think that's unfair, it's more a case of just not quite right for me 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah its on Disney and no doubt the high seas, 3 epsidoes of 2.5 hours long, weekly release 

Disney were doing a £1 month hence why I'm currently on it thinking I'd watch this, loki and hawkeye 

Its hard to say disappointing as I think that's unfair, it's more a case of just not quite right for me 

Ok, thanks bud.  I'm avoiding the high seas just now as my only laptop is the one my work gave me to WFH during lockdown.  

Actually I still have The Mandalorian S2 to watch so I'll probably just bite the bullet nearer mid-Dec to keep me going through Xmas.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dopesick was excellent.

As always these based on a true story shows (or documentaries) about small people against big corporates are infuriating to watch but was well worth the watch. Good acting and the Opioid crisis in the US is a fascinating topic.

• Like 1

All this talk of classic TV shows makes me want some good sci-fi shows again. Battlestar Galactica (the reboot) came out almost twenty years ago now and the only thing that’s come anywhere close since then is The Expanse, which I just can’t get that excited about. I thought maybe it was rose tinted specs but there’s a bunch of clips from BSG on YouTube and it was every bit as good as I remember.

I guess I’ll have to give Foundation a try but based on what I’ve heard from my friends I’m not sure I’m going to be blown away. I guess the Mandalorian is sci-fi too, and I did enjoy that because the visual direction is so good, but other than that it’s a bit lightweight imo.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, troon_villan said:

I had to check when it first came out.  1999 apparently so let's say it's popularity in the UK would have been high in 2001.  I would have been 15 in 2001.

I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and WWE so probably gave JG a tough break. 

To be fair, 1999-2001 WWF was genuinely the best thing on TV

And I'm not even joking

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair, 1999-2001 WWF was genuinely the best thing on TV

And I'm not even joking

That'll have most of the population of Off Topic unconsciously twitching, as if a hundred thousand sensibilities had been poked at once and caused a great disturbance in the hive mind.

• Like 2

Â