Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

12 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Just noticed 3rd series of Hanna is out, could be interesting which way they take it after the send of season 2 

Saw that and thought I would give it a go as I had seen the film of the same premise. Finished season one and there were a few wtf moments but I figured I was getting memories of the film mixed in. But no. I had watched season two first. So now I have just finished season one. Will either watch season three in reverse order or maybe on shuffle.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, troon_villan said:

I had to check when it first came out.  1999 apparently so let's say it's popularity in the UK would have been high in 2001.  I would have been 15 in 2001.

I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and WWE so probably gave JG a tough break. 

i started in season 3, a newspaper had a small snippet on it saying "this is the greatest episode of TV ever made and you need to watch it" 

it was pine barrens and i was instantly hooked, had to go back and watch season 1 and 2 later in a laughably big DVD boxset

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair, 1999-2001 WWF was genuinely the best thing on TV

And I'm not even joking

Yep. Standard Friday night for me would be TNT from 9 until 10 for Nitro and then over to Sky for Raw is War. Some great shows during that era.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

All this talk of classic TV shows makes me want some good sci-fi shows again. Battlestar Galactica (the reboot) came out almost twenty years ago now and the only thing that’s come anywhere close since then is The Expanse, which I just can’t get that excited about. I thought maybe it was rose tinted specs but there’s a bunch of clips from BSG on YouTube and it was every bit as good as I remember.

As good as it was for the majority of its run, I'd struggle to embark on a BSG re-watch, knowing how badly it goes off the rails at the end.  Space: Above & Beyond, however, I could re-watch ad infinitum, just have to brace each time for how maddening it is having gone out on a cliffhanger after being cancelled.  Die a hero or live long enough to become a villain, etc.

32 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep. Standard Friday night for me would be TNT from 9 until 10 for Nitro and then over to Sky for Raw is War. Some great shows during that era.

Yep. I know wrestling is very looked down on on VT, but I genuinely think that couple of years it was absolutely amazing television. Just the perfect combination of writers, talent and competition.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

As good as it was for the majority of its run, I'd struggle to embark on a BSG re-watch, knowing how badly it goes off the rails at the end.  Space: Above & Beyond, however, I could re-watch ad infinitum, just have to brace each time for how maddening it is having gone out on a cliffhanger after being cancelled.  Die a hero or live long enough to become a villain, etc.

Ah, the trick is just to switch off after the first two seasons. On rewatch it just reinforces how good basically all the actors in the show are, particularly when Pegasus turns up and you have Cain facing off against Adama. That’s such a good arc. Even that first two hour miniseries is still fantastic TV tbh.

I never actually watched Above And Beyond, always heard rather mixed things despite the concept being right up my street (it was also a little before my time). You’d recommend it then?

48 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Exactly this.  Although by the second half of 99 WCW had gone to shit.

I'd also like to extend @Stevo985's OP to 1998-2001.  98 was red hot.  The latter half of 97 looked great too although I watched that retrospectively.

It makes the decline of WWE look even more spectacular 

I loved those years, great characters and writing

They then backed the wrong horses for me, no doubt theres more to it than that but I was out shortly after cena came in 

Edit - also got fond memories of 6th form 2000-2002 playing PES and the WWE games, they were great games 

Edited by villa4europe

14 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Ah, the trick is just to switch off after the first two seasons. On rewatch it just reinforces how good basically all the actors in the show are, particularly when Pegasus turns up and you have Cain facing off against Adama. That’s such a good arc. Even that first two hour miniseries is still fantastic TV tbh.

I never actually watched Above And Beyond, always heard rather mixed things despite the concept being right up my street (it was also a little before my time). You’d recommend it then?

Loved it, in fact what I liked about BSG at the time was that it felt somewhat like a spiritual successor to it.  CGI would obviously look a bit dated these days, mind.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

All this talk of classic TV shows makes me want some good sci-fi shows again. Battlestar Galactica (the reboot) came out almost twenty years ago now and the only thing that’s come anywhere close since then is The Expanse, which I just can’t get that excited about. I thought maybe it was rose tinted specs but there’s a bunch of clips from BSG on YouTube and it was every bit as good as I remember.

I guess I’ll have to give Foundation a try but based on what I’ve heard from my friends I’m not sure I’m going to be blown away. I guess the Mandalorian is sci-fi too, and I did enjoy that because the visual direction is so good, but other than that it’s a bit lightweight imo.

I think I might be due a rewatch of BSG, it's been a while.

I really, really wanted to like the Expanse, and I think it's a solid show, but Shohreh Aghdashloo makes me want to put my foot through the TV. Her voice irritates the shit out of me, and her delivery is so wooden, I just couldn't keep watching, for me, she ruins every scene she's in.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair, 1999-2001 WWF was genuinely the best thing on TV

And I'm not even joking

I remember I had just had NTL cable fitted and was channel hopping one Friday night and came across Raw with no commentary (due to the terrible beatings dished out and medical attention required) , it was the show after Wrestle mania where Cactus Jack and Terry funk had beaten the New Age Outlaws in a dumpster match and the NAO where getting their 'revenge' was hooked every Friday night from then on for a good few years. zamboni's and all 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I know wrestling is very looked down on on VT, but I genuinely think that couple of years it was absolutely amazing television. Just the perfect combination of writers, talent and competition.

The Attitude era was so good.  Even the commentators were superstars.

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I think if you only take a passing glance at it, then it can be seen as daft or whatever.

However, once you start to see how it all works, the writing, the performances, the way the matches 'tell a story' and the amazing amount of physical work the performers have to put in to it (plus promos in front of a live audience that never skip a beat) then you get a better understanding. How anyone could watch something like Beyond the Mat or the numerous other documentaries and not come away with at least a grudging respect for the entertainment is beyond me.

I probably mentioned this before but I used to do a shit load of writing for various sites around the 97 - 2003 era and the pretty exhaustive research I used to have to do (Smarks know everything and pick you up on every little detail) you begin to realise what a strange, cut throat and yet sometimes brilliant business it all is.

So yeah, 99-2001 = Amazing times for the fans.

A friend of mine wrote his dissertation on it, can't remember the title but very much focused on the storytelling intricacies etc. I was very jealous, was a great topic to choose to write about, so much to say. 

Â