Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Talking of shows from that era, anyone remember Millennium with Lance Henriksen?

I bought the DVD box set of this a few years back just to watch it all over again. The first season is great, Lance really nails it. But the 2nd and 3rd season sort of lose it and just go a bit weird, the writing isnt as good on those later episodes.

Also worth knowing there is a X-Files crossover episode that catches up with the character Lance plays years later (same writer I think), worth checking out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

X-Files was proper event television back in the day. Used to be on Sunday nights on Sky One. 

Duchovny looked better in Californication years later and as you say Anderson has aged very well. Must be all that alien probing! 

Slightly embarrassed to say, I didn’t watch x files back in the day. Is it worth watching then?

8 hours ago, Genie said:

Slightly embarrassed to say, I didn’t watch x files back in the day. Is it worth watching then?

Absolutely - some of the episodes are amongst the best TV ever made for me (a lot weren't, obviously). One thing I would say is that if I were going back to watch it again, I would just watch the stand-alone episodes and not bother with the story arc episodes. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely - some of the episodes are amongst the best TV ever made for me (a lot weren't, obviously). One thing I would say is that if I were going back to watch it again, I would just watch the stand-alone episodes and not bother with the story arc episodes. 

Cheers, is there a way to spot those? Do they have different titles?

1 minute ago, Genie said:

There is a X-Files wiki type of thing or some fan version of that anyway.

I know those type of episodes are described as "Monster of the week" type episodes in some places

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, as @sne says, they're usually called 'monster of the week' episodes. The Wikipedia article called 'list of the x-files episodes' has all the information you can need. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My wife and daughter used to watch it. I didn't. I had to deal with the fallout from the Tombs episode (s??)

Yep that was a really good one

That's the guy who can squeeze in to things 

Edited by villa4europe

On 18/02/2020 at 14:32, StefanAVFC said:

Catching up late to the thread.

The Good Place was brilliant. Brilliant. Me and my mrs were both tearing up at the end.

When Chidi goes through and Jason is still there... 

I did think the very last bit when Eleanor went through was a little odd, thought it would be better if the light would’ve landed on a baby/pregnant lady so that the circle starts again

• Like 1

Might be better suited somewhere in the Tech subforum but I couldn't see a relevant thread and there's more activity here.

At what point does the quality/definition of TV/movie videos become pointlessly high?

There's a listing on a torrent site that I may or may not use for Narcos Mexico Season 2, 4K 2160p = 172GB for ~ 10 hours of video. This is just insane right?

Picard is pretty shit.

More and more turning into a parody or a cosplay fan series.

Whatever number of years into the future it's still whiskey, jazz, sword fighting, pimps and all the other stuff that was popular in the 1900's that is the norm in the universe.

20 minutes into ep 5 and I'm out. Not worth to waste time on.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Might be better suited somewhere in the Tech subforum but I couldn't see a relevant thread and there's more activity here.

At what point does the quality/definition of TV/movie videos become pointlessly high?

There's a listing on a torrent site that I may or may not use for Narcos Mexico Season 2, 4K 2160p = 172GB for ~ 10 hours of video. This is just insane right?

Depends what your watching it on and the quality of your eye sight. I remember the first DVD I watched, almost fell off the chair,, the movie was First Blood, that was a great day.

28 minutes ago, sne said:

Picard is pretty shit.

More and more turning into a parody or a cosplay fan series.

Whatever number of years into the future it's still whiskey, jazz, sword fighting, pimps and all the other stuff that was popular in the 1900's that is the norm in the universe.

20 minutes into ep 5 and I'm out. Not worth to waste time on.

Agree and so much drivel that you end up switching off mentally and probably missing something you need to be hearing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

4k is becoming more standard as time goes on, and certainly on torrent sites their availability is in demand. In addition to the increased quality, as long as you have the required kit and don't sit too far from your set, the increased file size isn't an issue anymore either. Only a few years ago the prospect of using 150GB+ could simply not be justified by most, but now, it's not going to be an issue if you're into this sort of thing.

To answer your question in bold, and based purely on personal experience - I'd suggest 8k is the point that it's pointlessly high. I believe that right now there is a demand for 4k and you can benefit in your home from a good set up. 8k though...I just don't see it becoming part of the norm.

• Thanks 1

Â