Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I'm a couple of episodes in to Twin Peaks, the first series. Bit dated, isn't it? :D

I'm enjoying the scenes with the FBI agent and the sheriff, less so some of the really vomit-worthy mushy, lovey scenes. So far, I'm not seeing enough to justify the rave reviews. Has it just aged poorly, or is it a slow burner?  

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm a couple of episodes in to Twin Peaks, the first series. Bit dated, isn't it? :D

I'm enjoying the scenes with the FBI agent and the sheriff, less so some of the really vomit-worthy mushy, lovey scenes. So far, I'm not seeing enough to justify the rave reviews. Has it just aged poorly, or is it a slow burner?  

A little bit of both. 

It looks very dated and the acting is (deliberately) 80’s soap opera level to start with. 

Stick with it, it becomes something wonderful. 

It dips a little mid-way through season 2, when Lynch had basically given up on it, but then he comes back to direct the final couple of episodes, which are some of the finest TV you’ll ever see. 

This was the pioneer of ‘event TV’ - it literally paved the way for all the greats that came after it. 

‘The Return’ is fundamentally different to the originals, but it’s an absolute masterpiece 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It looks very dated and the acting is (deliberately) 80’s soap opera level to start with. 

Ha, I get that, but it does make you wonder sometimes, watching it so far after the initial showing.

There's a bit in the second episode where the mother of the victim is having a panic attack, and she looks at a character and there is just the worst cgi of another character's face overlaid on her. If you watched it in the 90s I'm sure it was obviously satirical but we were just looking at each other thinking "...The early 90s tech wasn't *that* bad....Was it...?" :D 

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Ha, I get that, but it does make you wonder sometimes, watching it so far after the initial showing.

There's a bit in the second episode where the mother of the victim is having a panic attack, and she looks at a character and there is just the worst cgi of another character's face overlaid on her. If you watched it in the 90s I'm sure it was obviously satirical but we were just looking at each other thinking "...The early 90s tech wasn't *that* bad....Was it...?" :D 

I watched it for the first time in 1999, so it was almost a decade old then and already looked dated, but you soon get over that and involved in the story. 

It was the same when I watched the Sopranos for the first time about 4/5 years ago - First episode and Tony comes into shot wearing a suit with shoulder pads and MC Hammer-esque suit trousers, and I remember  thinking WTF am I watching here, then it was ace and that was that. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Both. It's def a product of it's time. It might help to smoke some marijuana before you watch. The deliberate pace was intentional. Heavy on atmosphere and dread with sprinkles of oddball humor. We'd have watching parties for each new episode. Good memories. Seems like a lifetime ago.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 20:25, maqroll said:

The Malcolm X doc series on Netflix is pretty good.

Strike that, REALLY good.

So good that NY is opening the case back up!

I'm not going to spoil it, but watch it, especially if you know (or think you know) the story.

3 episodes in Picard is still OK, not must watch for me

Feels obvious to compare it with the mandalorian, for me that's more accessible and more fun (that said I still haven't finished it, again not must watch) but seeing as it's the flagship launch of the Disney service its surprising just how much better the production quality and seemingly budget is on Picard 

Have stareted X Files again from the beginning. Can't believe it's 27 years ago that I watched it first time around.

And Scully has hardly aged...spooky.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Have stareted X Files again from the beginning. Can't believe it's 27 years ago that I watched it first time around.

And Scully has hardly aged...spooky.

I should do the same, I always try and remember which episodes were really good, I can remember the guy who used to contort his body and squeeze up drainpipes etc, think there was a good one with a freak show travelling circus, one on a boat where everyone was dead

with my age I was more interested in the weird and wonderful aspect of it than the character arcs of mulder and scully

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I should do the same, I always try and remember which episodes were really good, I can remember the guy who used to contort his body and squeeze up drainpipes etc, think there was a good one with a freak show travelling circus, one on a boat where everyone was dead

with my age I was more interested in the weird and wonderful aspect of it than the character arcs of mulder and scully

That was episode 3, "Squeeze". I think he makes a return in episode 21

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

That episode about the inbreed family is one of the best X-Files ones from what I remember.

Googled it and it's ep 2 from s4 and is called "Home"

I'll probably remember it when I see it.

managed to acquire all 9 seasons, both movies and a bunch of behind the scenes stuff.

Â