Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

So Iron Fist...

4 epsiodes in and yeah I kinda like it. The direction is pretty bland and uninspiring and the fight scenes are awkward and laboured considering they should be a major part of the character but it's working OK for me so far.

One thing I really like is Finn Jones. He has an almost childlike charm and innocence that works well as a contrast to the brooding M.Murdoch, J.Jones and L.Cage.

If the second half of the season is an improvement on the first then yeah, bring it on.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

I'm 10 episodes in now.

It's fine. It has some really, really, stupid stuff in it, the fight scenes aren't anywhere near as good as they should be, Jones is i think miscast (he isn't a good enough fighter to play the part convincingly for me) but is also given a script that asks him in turn to be serene one second and petulant the next, and bland in between, whilst also playing the role of someone who has no life experience, parachuted into a world he doesn't understand... but the story is decent the cast is otherwise at worst alright and it's fun. It's also obviously doing groundwork/filling in for the Defenders and some ongoing storylines which is engaging and interesting (astonishing given some elements of the plot)... It's fine.

I can see how you could make it a better show without fundamentally altering what is here too much, but it's nowhere near the travesty the critics have said. I'm enjoying it at least as much as Daredevil S2, without the heights of that series but with a more consistent standard.

I can also see how you'd make it an immensely better series by changing things significantly, but i suspect the budget may be an issue :) and the series would have to accept some of the wackier things about the character it has mostly avoided unfortunately :(. But that is a fan talking.

• Like 1

That Steve Backshall New Guinea River programme was good but a bit anti climactic. A lot of padding and false dawns but the feat they completed was amazing and the man is just a legend so I forgave it.

Edited by Ingram85

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Watched the first 6 episodes of Homeland and gave up. It's paint by numbers stereotype drama/thriller fodder. 

Not total muck, but much like other American mega-series, I don't get it. 

Surprising. I thought Homeland was genuinely different at the time. It might have been copied since but it had a fairly unique premise.

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Surprising. I thought Homeland was genuinely different at the time. It might have been copied since but it had a fairly unique premise.

Well it is a american remake of an Israeli series

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Watched the first 6 episodes of Homeland and gave up. It's paint by numbers stereotype drama/thriller fodder. 

Not total muck, but much like other American mega-series, I don't get it. 

I enjoyed the first season, but lost interest in it after then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I enjoyed the first season, but lost interest in it after then.

I thought the first season was great and it also followed it's source material pretty much straight through.

After that when the writers had to made up their own material it seems like they didn't really know what direction they wanted to take the show.

It has some strong characters but the story has been all over the place. 

I gave it up a few episodes into the previous season as I got bored/annoyed.

• Like 1

I might get shot down for this but in my opinion the last few seasons of Homeland has been the best in my opinion. Ever since the Brody-story ended it has been very interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

It's not the plot necessarily. It's the whole, erm, 'American-ness' of it. I guess I've grown tired of the predictability of those kind of shows. 

That and the male lead is mahogany personified. Scrap that, he's a much cheaper wood. He's balsa. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I am actually enjoying Homeland, The Walking Dead on the other hand .........Thank god there are only 2 episodes left.

From now on I am just going to watch the first and last episodes of each half season.

On 09/03/2017 at 18:26, sne said:

So thinking about starting to binge watching Fringe.

I've heard good things, although it may take a while to get into.

Anyone seen it?

I'm only seeing this now so you might be finished it by now, but yes do watch it.  Some great characters in it and some cool ideas.  An enjoyable watch.

• Like 1

I went back to the start of this thread yesterday and found a recommendation for "15 Storeys High", a comedy by Sean Locke.

2 episodes in. I thought the first episode was completely shit. But the second one was very good, so hopefully it carries on like that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I'm only seeing this now so you might be finished it by now, but yes do watch it.  Some great characters in it and some cool ideas.  An enjoyable watch.

Actually haven't started yet :)

But that good to hear, just need to get sick or something so I get an excuse to lie in bed all day watching series.

Â