Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

?

You seem to be a big comic fan and their TV/film equivalents. I always see you write fairly large critiques and was unusual to not see high praise from the start. Although that might be completely untrue. 

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've just seen the first episode of the second series of House of Cards.  Frank Underwood is such an evil bastard, he really gets under my skin.  Then I remind myself it's not real.

Gives you such an appreciation for how politics really is though. The business lobbying, the back scratching, the covering up, the public appeasement, the keeping in with the media, the control and elimination of anyone dangerous. I've no doubt real life politics is at least as brutal, if not moreso.

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Gives you such an appreciation for how politics really is though. The business lobbying, the back scratching, the covering up, the public appeasement, the keeping in with the media, the control and elimination of anyone dangerous...

Spoiler

...by pushing the reporter you've been banging unceremoniously in front of a high-speed subway train.

Just another day at the White House ;)

Just watched Episode 1 of Westworld new from HBO. It has great production as you would expect and could basically go any number ways. Ep 1 had a lot of exposition without revealing much of what is to come. (It's based on a 1973 Michael Crichton film which I haven't seen hence why I don't know whats gonna happen!)

If you enjoy Sci-Fi then you should give it a watch as there are a lot of Bladerunner type overtones and Frankenstein meeting our maker etc. Very interesting as we now live in a time where the advances in robotics and A.I. are improving exponentially. 

Edited by TheAuthority
Spellin

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Started billions watched two episodes so far. Pretty good so far although I found the whipping and pissing very odd. 

But she had to extinguish the cigarette burn somehow.  Finished the series in 2 days, series 2 back in February 2017.

hmmm, Designated Survivor looks like it may prove a clunky affair, some corny dialogue that makes you want to reach for the west wing dvd, some implausibly attractive actors, who look like they've won a job swap from a modelling contract ( the chief of staff guy or the asian FBI agent?) and some subtle-as-a-brick message pointing. Bit of a shame as the core concept seemed really interesting. 

May still be early days finding it's feet so hopefully it irons those clunks out, Kiefer is an excellent lead, but the supporting cast need to buck up their ideas a bit.

18 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Just watched Episode 1 of Westworld new from HBO. It has great production as you would expect and could basically go any number ways. Ep 1 had a lot of exposition without revealing much of what is to come. (It's based on a 1973 Michael Crichton film which I haven't seen hence why I don't know whats gonna happen!)

If you enjoy Sci-Fi then you should give it a watch as there are a lot of Bladerunner type overtones and Frankenstein meeting our maker etc. Very interesting as we now live in a time where the advances in robotics and A.I. are improving exponentially. 

An enjoyably creepy first episode. 

• Like 1

Westworld... Been looking forward to this for a while and that first episode wasn't the home run I hoped.

The whole episode was effectively often quite clunky plot exposition. It's hard to avoid that with a pilot but this amplified that by avoiding one of the clichés of this kind of thing (show the park from the perspective of a new visitor in the opening minutes which sets the rules of the game), instead dumping the viewer in what felt like the middle of an episode 2 episodes in. A lot of it subsequently felt like quite amateurish attempts to hide exposition and the rest felt like you'd missed half the story.

They also have clearly made an attempt to make the things that are supposed to be artificial look slightly artificial, and it just looks off-putting weird. They've charity chosen to make some of the characters caricature as well to aid the feeling of artificiality, but instead it just makes the show feel hokey. And the cinematography has this false sheen with a very slight bloom to everything that's actively irritating to look at.

The exposition also wasn't helped by some godawful acting. The British bloke? He better not have much more screentime, because I've seen school plays with more conviction and believability than that performance.

Saying that, there's intrigue there, loads of potential. And even with the problems I enjoyed a lot of it. I hope the next episode can build on all the exposition in this one and make something great.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

With JJ Abrams involved in Westworld there will almost certainly be more to the set up than there initially appears.

I was also disappointed to see Stephen Ogg not last more than a couple of minutes.  

On 02/10/2016 at 17:37, Demitri_C said:

Started billions watched two episodes so far. Pretty good so far although I found the whipping and pissing very odd. 

Sure  you weren't watching the Tory party conference by mistake ?

• Like 1

Â