Jez

I tell you who i'd take over him: Michael Bradley

Given that we basically had a deal in place to sign him, then the funds must have been there in some capacity. Fair enough if McLeish didnt want him for footballing reasons, but now we're told that the club can't afford the wages to bring anyone else in. Mind boggles.

As a player, he seems to encapsulate what we desperately need in our midfield at the moment. On a free? I'm willing to overlook his baggage if he costs nothing to be honest.

He'll still cost wages, which is the big issue for Villa.

Other free options include Hargreaves, Der Hammer and M Diarra, and I'd prefer any of those.

As a player, he seems to encapsulate what we desperately need in our midfield at the moment. On a free? I'm willing to overlook his baggage if he costs nothing to be honest.

Other free options include Hargreaves, Der Hammer and M Diarra, and I'd prefer any of those.

Would gladly take any of those right about now, never mind prefer. Though I'd also happily take Barton aswell.

Same here.

He was also pretty effective on the right of midfield last season too, put some lovely crosses in for Carroll.

I tell you who i'd take over him: Michael Bradley

Given that we basically had a deal in place to sign him, then the funds must have been there in some capacity. Fair enough if McLeish didnt want him for footballing reasons, but now we're told that the club can't afford the wages to bring anyone else in. Mind boggles.

Although in fairness, Michael Bradley is shit.

I knew someone was going to say that, and I was going to put "costs nothing but wages", but it looked a bit silly :lol:. I guess you're right though. I hope the board sort something out though. All it takes is a Cuellar or a Beye to leave, and we solve our midfield conundrum to some degree. This makes me even more disappointed that Micheal Bradley left. I really rated the dude.

According to Opta

4 goals and 9 assists last year in 32 games. 9 yellows but no reds which suprised me !

No player assisted more goals (5) or created more goalscoring chances (41) from set pieces in the PL in 2010/11 than Joey Barton

With him and Nzogbia in, we could be pretty **** effective at set pieces again.

Baggage is one thing. N'Zogbia comes with baggage. Barton is a liability; fair enough we need a hard bastard (and I understand the allure) but the man is a word removed. Simply disregarding his behaviour for the sake of football, well I just couldn't bring myself do it:

C_71_article_1006083_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

SNN2907E-380_541247a.jpg

bartonsplit2_468x381.jpg

Video of the assault that lead to his jail sentence.

Id take Barton!

Even with his baggage surely we would be foolish to turn down the chance of taking him on a free.

He would give us a lot of bite in the middle of the park, quite frankly we are crying out for it!

Let's be real though. We all know there isn't going to be any more transfers in. We should really put an offer in, but i just can't see it happening.

I think we cannot afford to not look at free transfers with PL experience and within the 28 - 30 age range. As much as I dislike the man I suspect we are probably very interested in him

Can't believe the number of people on here who want Bellamy at Villa.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if we sign that pondlife, that's me finished with Aston Villa until he's gone. I feel that strongly about it.

I think we cannot afford to not look at free transfers with PL experience and within the 28 - 30 age range. As much as I dislike the man I suspect we are probably very interested in him

Pretty much this. I think were desperate for players in the middle. Barton can play in the middle or right. In terms of just the player he would perfectly fit what we need.

I just cannot bring myself to say yes i would have him.

I don't think there is a PL club willing to take a gamble on Bellamy and his knee's which even he says are about gone. He will end up at Celtic or another Championship club on loan I'm sure. For what it is worth I wouldn't want him at Villa because he is a spent force but I've long since changed my mind about Bellamy the man who is nothing like as bad as his persona sometimes implies.

Barton on the other hand is scum and I couldn't support him in our colours our us with him wearing them it would be too much.

It is though I think naive to think that no club will make a move for Barton considering his ability and new found freeness. It wouldn't surprise me if we moved for him but I rather suspect Moyes is going to be at the front of the line to take him back to Merseyside.