Jez

you'd think that at least one player at city would have a match highest earner clause in their contract meaning that if city paid SA that much they be due a pay rise too (iirc wasnt there a rumour someone at villa had to be withing 10% of the highest earner?)

as id seen this morning you think signing him would leave their strike force bloated but to be fair if tevez goes they only have balotelli, dzeko and him on the books (assuming RSC and bellamy will be shipped out)

if SA takes time to adapt, dzeko continues being shit and super mario continues to have consistency problems it doesnt look that good

Am I alone in liking the fact that City bring all of these worldly talents to our shores?

It's tough to know whether to hate them or not. On the one hand, they're buying success, something which really shouldnt be applauded, but on the other hand theyre also helping to promote the Premier League as the world's best league competition. I think the overriding feeling is still one of distaste, but it is kind of exciting to watch at times.

I, for one, will enjoy watching Aguero at Villa Park this season, and to be honest, I hope he's joined by Pastore (Chelsea) and Sneijder (Manchester) aswell.

I'm like you Chindie, I thought he was tailor-made for the Prem. I still do think he'll succeed. He came out the other day and said the pressure of the fee and expectation got to him, so maybe he's had time to settle, get accustomed to the league and his team, and a pre-season will see him have a better season. He did well in spots last season (usually cup spots). Unlike some players who move to the Prem, there is definitely a good striker in there.

Am I alone in liking the fact that City bring all of these worldly talents to our shores?

It's tough to know whether to hate them or not. On the one hand, they're buying success, something which really shouldnt be applauded, but on the other hand theyre also helping to promote the Premier League as the world's best league competition. I think the overriding feeling is still one of distaste, but it is kind of exciting to watch at times.

I, for one, will enjoy watching Aguero at Villa Park this season, and to be honest, I hope he's joined by Pastore (Chelsea) and Sneijder (Manchester) aswell.

There is definitely a fascination element to them - hence the 'stare at them' thread in O/F - but I think the negative out-weighs the positive; and does so quite considerably. The Prem was rich enough and good enough to attract stars for the right money and (relatively) the right reason before Mansour came along. Hell, before Abramovich came along. Now Citeh are a payday for players in their prime.

I think Villa and Spurs can probably count themselves hardest done by out of the City situation as it stands. Had they played a straight bat financially, they wouldnt even be competing with us, nor Spurs, yet both clubs find themselves (in reality) out of the Champions League race, us much more so than Spurs obviously.

Agree that the Premier League was strong enough before Sheik Mansour came along, but its also actually quite nice to see the likes of Real Madrid outdone in the chase for a player; they have traditionally always spent well beyond their means, often depriving the PL of players in the process.

Cons undoubtedly outweigh the pros, but now that the damage has been done, may aswell sit back and enjoy watching them upset United fans with a certain amount of satisfaction.

Dont really rate Afellay and no where he would fit in at SPURS with VDV, Bale, Lennon all better than him IMO. Also strange for barca to sell after only signing him in january

Not strange at all, bloody Spanish clubs along with Man City do that all the time. Hate em.

Again graham hunter talking about affelay last night said his off the ball movement was nowhere near as good as barca wanted, also said it's 8-9m euros so it's still not alot but a nice profit for barca

as for hulk IMHO he's shit and is not a prem player by a long stretch, albrighton out muscled him ffs, stupid money for a really average player can't see it happening as there is much better/cheaper options out there, lukaku being the obvious one

Just heard about a failed bid from the end of May. Kinda shocked that we didn't offer more. I have a friend who is on holiday in Pamplona now who heard that apparently Villa bid just over 5m euros for Nacho Monreal...Osasuna LB who is excellent...likely La Roja's LB for the next 5+ years.

Anyways Osasuna rejected our bid and that was that. He ended up being sold to Malaga for 6m rising to 9m based on Malaga reaching the CL...etc.

Damn....soooooo close.