Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

2 hours ago, Milfner said:

The worst tournament, glad it’s over. Feels like it put the final nail in coffin of 50 over cricket. 

Watching India bottle it on home turf was glorious though. 

Yes I do wonder what's is the points of 50 over now with twenty 20 being so popular. The format was rubbish as well-one massive group which took forever to play and a very short knock out phase.  On a different point I do wonder how much it is nowadays for home advantage in  a big team competition. I am thinking  of France in euro 2016 and also the rugby world cup and now India in the cricket. The expectation to perform when hosting is massive.

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes I do wonder what's is the points of 50 over now with twenty 20 being so popular. The format was rubbish as well-one massive group which took forever to play and a very short knock out phase.  On a different point I do wonder how much it is nowadays for home advantage in  a big team competition. I am thinking  of France in euro 2016 and also the rugby world cup and now India in the cricket. The expectation to perform when hosting is massive.

Don’t forget Qatar, going out in the group stage without winning a match 🧐

I really love 50 over cricket, it's a far better contest than T20. It's been quite sad to see the lack of support and coverage it's received this tournament.

I don't know what it's like in England or other countries, but ODIs being mostly shown only on payTV has really hurt the popularity of the format over here. During the heyday of ODI cricket in the 90s and early 2000s, you'd have a quad series with Australia, Australia A and 2 travelling sides and every game involving an Australian side would be packed out and shown on free to air TV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I really love 50 over cricket, it's a far better contest than T20. It's been quite sad to see the lack of support and coverage it's received this tournament.

I don't know what it's like in England or other countries, but ODIs being mostly shown only on payTV has really hurt the popularity of the format over here. During the heyday of ODI cricket in the 90s and early 2000s, you'd have a quad series with Australia, Australia A and 2 travelling sides and every game involving an Australian side would be packed out and shown on free to air TV.

One of my favourite ever cricket matches:

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Milfner said:

The worst tournament, glad it’s over. Feels like it put the final nail in coffin of 50 over cricket. 

Watching India bottle it on home turf was glorious though. 

If this is the end of 50 over cricket then test cricket must have died about 10 years ago.

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't ever remember any ODI being shown on free TV outside of World Cups (the 2019 final the only match since 1999) over here.  Crowds are still strong, except when they play in Cardiff, as it's a good day out.  Over here the domestic competition has rarely mirrored the international version, usually with different numbers of overs or rules.  When they did decide on playing to international rules we then went on to win it.  Since then it's been played alongside the Hundred and turned into a bit of a second-class competition as the best players aren't playing in it, no wonder we were utter dogturd this time.  I think we will go back to prioritising ODIs again but that usually results in taking our eye off the ball in another form due to scheduling.

• Like 1

50 over cricket is brilliant.  T20 is the shite form of cricket, to be honest.

Amazing from Australia, though.  This India team is absolutely exceptional in the short form of the game (and fairly decent in test cricket too) - let alone being in their own backyard and having smashed absolutely everybody to get to the final.  Really didn't expect it when the Aussies were 40 odd for 3 either.  Travis Head removing Rohit with a stunning catch and then smashing that innings in a World Cup final is pretty **** special.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another defeat for England.

They must be hoping that Buttler can hang on until the T20 WC in the summer and try and salvage something there.

But I would have him replaced now, he's quite clearly not a captain and he's so badly out of form it's a joke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

All kicking off in Australia. Mitchell Johnson went on an honest and probably correct assessment of David Warner but it seems to have divided a lot of people

Haven't seen that but not surprised. I have a distant relation in Brisbane; he reckons Warner is no that popular in Australia and is, in fact, referred to as "The Grub" ! Considered to have come from 'the wrong side of the tracks'. Don't know how true that is though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well , I'm sure the "Management" at Warwickshire know more about cricket than I do, but for the life of me I can't se the sense in letting Henry Brookes go to Middlesex. Meanwhile in the wider World of domestic cricket , Lancashire look like getting Nathan Lyon. Wonder who Warks will be getting as their 'big signing ' !!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

India beat South Africa by 7 wickets in a test, but SA were all out first innings for 55, in 23 overs!

34 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

India beat South Africa by 7 wickets in a test, but SA were all out first innings for 55, in 23 overs!

Barely makes the news. Test cricket is dead. They ICC haven't revamped the schedule enough.

Â