Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Aside, perhaps, from Surrey in that there London (they’ve done brilliantly in all aspects of their club), all the counties are strapped for cash. Pandemic, ground improvements and so on, plus the same cost of living and energy prices stuff have been a real burden. There’s more stuff being done with the ground, too - Hotel and I think they’re gonna fettle the City end as well?

Can't argue with any of that and perhaps it is just unfortunate that some of the signings haven't come off; 'Rikki' (on his shirt), Maxwell , Matt Wade et al. Plus , they never replaced Jeetan Patel with anyone even near his class. I have no idea if this true, but I was told that the Club were mainly interested in The T20 Final and expensive weddings.    

22 minutes ago, veloman said:

Can't argue with any of that and perhaps it is just unfortunate that some of the signings haven't come off; 'Rikki' (on his shirt), Maxwell , Matt Wade et al. Plus , they never replaced Jeetan Patel with anyone even near his class. I have no idea if this true, but I was told that the Club were mainly interested in The T20 Final and expensive weddings.    

Yeah, I think that’s right. The focus has become more and more on income from tests and finals day and the various corporate and event stuff. I think the balance has gone too far and the cricket is a bit of a lower priority. Maybe after all the flats and hotel and ground improvements are done, they can use the increased income to get back to putting out a really strong team. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Glenn Maxwell today was one the the greatest ODI knocks I've ever seen. Was pretty damn special.  

Couldn't get a run for us in the blast last year but has been on fire at the world cup, so frustrating!

England at it again I see. The batting performances have been disgraceful all tournament. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Couldn't get a run for us in the blast last year but has been on fire at the world cup, so frustrating!

England at it again I see. The batting performances have been disgraceful all tournament. 

He was so shit, I got my son to ask him why he wasn't chosen for the Ashes squad when he was signing autographs for the kids after the game :lol:

Fair play though, epic knock.. the bastard.  

• Haha 2

Yeah, he, along with most of the squad should be sacked from white ball cricket after this. 

Start totally afresh with Duckett, Brook etc. Not that Brook has done anything either, been contaminated in part by being involved with such a squad full of has-beens. I don't want to see any of these players play an ODI for England again. 20/20 is different, but Stokes and Root, **** stick to Tests. Brook, stick to tests and T20 then. Rest of them, just **** off entirely. Well, ok Malan has been alright, but he's 36. Bin off Buttler. He's been absolute garbage. Needs a proper break from cricket by the looks of things, genuine heads gone, fried baked, etc at the moment. I'm sure Buttler can still do a job for the 20/20 side, but not as skipper. It's clearly taken too much out of him.

Edited by Rodders

This team/squad has been living off past glories for a long long time. 

I'd like to see a line up something like this going forward:

Crawley (C)

Jacks

Hain

Duckett (WK)

Salt

Brook

Livingstone

Curran

Tongue

Carse

Atkinson

And then the likes of Ahmed, Luke Wood, Kohler Cadmore, Banton, Lawrence, Brown and Mahmood if he can ever get fit in and around the squad.

And bin off Mott and either beg Morgan to take the job or give McCullum a ridiculous amount of money to coach all formats.

So England can still play cricket then, that’s a relief, albeit against poor opposition.

Can see Buttler resigning, he looks absolutely spent. He’s one that’s never quite reached the heights he should have individually in my opinion, when he’s on it, he’s one of the best batsman in the world but he’s just not found the consistency. Fingers crossed we beat pakistan and at least finish in the top eight.

3 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Squad's been announced for the white ball tour of the Carribean next month. No Hain in either squad...

What more could he do to get picked ffs

Play for Surrey/Sussex/Middlesex/Essex or even Lancahire :(

The second semi-final looks like it's already over inside the first 12 overs. This has to be the worst world cup of all time. A couple of shocks, I can think of one game going to the final over. Awful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Milfner said:

The second semi-final looks like it's already over inside the first 12 overs. This has to be the worst world cup of all time. A couple of shocks, I can think of one game going to the final over. Awful.

It might be one of the worst World Cups in any sport ever. A dreadful format which was designed so every team gets 9 games which left little for risk and entertainment

• Like 3

Just now, Zatman said:

It might be one of the worst World Cups in any sport ever. A dreadful format which was designed so every team gets 9 games which left little for risk and entertainment

Might be some rose-tinted specs, but the previous world cup had the same format and seemed fine. I didn't work from home then so maybe I watched less of it and I'm misremembering. They've gotta go back to two groups of 6 and have multiple games on one day. Been going on for 6 weeks, just way too long. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Indian conditions contributed to it too. English wickets just generally make for more exciting cricket IMO. And the weather seemed to exhaust a lot of the players, as well as creating very different conditions in each innings which meant a lot of games were won on the toss.

Although I thought the first semi final was a decent match until the final overs.

• Like 2

Â