Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

12 hours ago, veloman said:

Possibly "Botham's Ashes " at Headingly ??

In India this is possible more sensational but doubt it will get the same recognition. Put this way in 40 odd years time will people be still talking about it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Imran Khan sentenced to 10 years in prison. Thats the way to.treat your greatest ever cricketer. 

For what?? Ah ok allegedly leaking “secrets” 🧐

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is somewhat chastening - India approaching 450 and a tenth wicket partnership where one of the batsmen can't even walk putting on an extra thirty.

This pitch looks like it'll break up and it's hard to see England making a game of this from here.

Some innings from Duckett so far. A century over a run of a ball in India is very special.

England of old would have tried to bat out the rest of the day and been 80-5 and heading for an innings defeat.

Still got a lot to do tomorrow but I wouldn't bet against them.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2024 at 13:25, PaulC said:

Imran Khan sentenced to 10 years in prison. Thats the way to.treat your greatest ever cricketer. 

Hmm , not sure about that. Obviously a good all rounder but has been tinged with dishonesty for some time which might have somewhat tarnished his reputation. He was certainly no shrinking violet and, IIRC , the way he walked out on Worcs was pretty poor; and i'm no Worcs supporter. You may well be right ,but personally preferred Zaheer Abbas (Z) and definitely Abdul Qadir (always pronounced "carder" by the Warks legend commentator !! 

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well this is somewhat chastening - India approaching 450 and a tenth wicket partnership where one of the batsmen can't even walk putting on an extra thirty.

This pitch looks like it'll break up and it's hard to see England making a game of this from here.

Death, taxes and the exact opposite of whatever I say in this thread.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, veloman said:

Hmm , not sure about that. Obviously a good all rounder but has been tinged with dishonesty for some time which might have somewhat tarnished his reputation. He was certainly no shrinking violet and, IIRC , the way he walked out on Worcs was pretty poor; and i'm no Worcs supporter. You may well be right ,but personally preferred Zaheer Abbas (Z) and definitely Abdul Qadir (always pronounced "carder" by the Warks legend commentator !! 

Don't know much about it really but obviously a lot of corruption. Never said I liked him. I preferred his cousin majid and Zaheer from that era. But was a great captain and all-rounder for Pakistan and its weird that a national hero ends up in prison.  He was also very disingenuous about our greatest captain Dermot Reeve

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Never said I liked him. I preferred his cousin majid and Zaheer from that era. 

Yes, you are right .I think I've let my personal dislike of his arrogance get in the way of my judgement; in much the same way that I dislike Pieterson !!! Don't think he liked Reeve's (brilliant ) mickey take of him talking !!

• Like 1

Really, really poor. A below-par quality India side missing Ashwin and England gifted their wickets away with mind-numbingly poor shots and decisions. Just like the Lords test against Australia, an open goal and they've turned around and booted it back into their own. **** pathetic 

• Sad 1

Amongst all the euphoria of today's result, a bit of sad news for cricket fans. Great South African cricketer Mike Proctor has died. Peronally , I really liked him; could bat and bowl, albeit seemingly off the wrong foot. Not many like him left now.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Amongst all the euphoria of today's result, a bit of sad news for cricket fans. Great South African cricketer Mike Proctor has died. Peronally , I really liked him; could bat and bowl, albeit seemingly off the wrong foot. Not many like him left now.

"Proctershire" wasn't it? Before my time, but a wonderful player by all accounts. 

2 hours ago, veloman said:

I'm deeply saddened to just read this. One of the grest all-rounders who wouid have been right up there but for apartheid and the international ban on South Africa during his prime career years. The 70s was great because every county had two world class overseas players. Gloucester had proctor and zaheer.

• Like 1

Bazball isn't an excuse for batting like words removed and playing ridiculously inappropriate shots. 

• Like 1

Â