Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

17 minutes ago, chappy said:

To be fair to the previous regime, it was 3-1 in India last year.

I also think that 1 win in 17 stat that keeps being bandied around in the media is a little disingenuous - obviously it’s not a good look, but you can bend stats to prove a point… in the previous 12 tests before that, they’d won 8/12 (2 draws 2 defeats). Leaving out the Sri Lanka series and first game in India in particular doesn’t really make sense (would make it 4 wins in 20) as after the game in Chennai there was a lot of positivity surrounding the team.

Anyway, all in the past now. Love the form that YJB is in at the moment, mad that we’ve cruised to two chases of almost 300 inside two weeks, they really have imported our white ball confidence. Speaking of, have to say Morgan’s legacy must be up there with any English player in any sport?? Something very English about bowing out shortly after getting a golden duck amidst a world record score too :lol:

Ah, fair enough. Maybe I was thinking of the previous tour of India then, I could have sworn there was a recent 4-0 defeat there. 🤔

Morgan was amazing, what a legend.  : >

Edited by robby b

I was at the Ahmedabad test (third test maybe?)and for two sessions England were comfortbaly the better team and had India I think around 5 or 6 down. By the final session you could see the bowlers visibly wilt in the heat and the Indians took advantage. Added to that Bess bowling poorly meant Anderson (for example) who had been bowling brilliantly in  the earlier part of the day was being carted around by I think Pant, when Bess should have been able to tie up one end giving the quicks more tiem to recover. Sending Moeen home didn't help either.

That was a test we could easily have taken better advantage of the opportunities we had and 3-1 could easily have been 2-2. I thought we were poorly managed during that tour we contributed to the defeat as much as onfield problems.

I think only England have produced test spinners on a par with Michael Bracewell for awfulness over the last decade. Looked like a bargain-bin Dom Bess and that's saying something.

I normally think Leach isn't it for England too, but on a pitch that wasn't turning square he put in a real shift especially 2nd innings. That was a big difference. Bracewell was getting carted 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

I think only England have produced test spinners on a par with Michael Bracewell for awfulness over the last decade. Looked like a bargain-bin Dom Bess and that's saying something.

I normally think Leach isn't it for England too, but on a pitch that wasn't turning square he put in a real shift especially 2nd innings. That was a big difference. Bracewell was getting carted 

I hope you are not referring to Moeen Ali as hes Englands third leading wicket taker for a  spinner of all time . I think Swann gave Leach some good advice and how to get more drift and action on the ball. he bowled a lot more aggressively at Headingly and he was accurate too with it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Moeen Ali

Moeen has been brilliant on the BBC TMS radio and TV highlights coverage of the games. He's a media natural, no hype, no deliberate controversial statements, just honest comment and analysis of the games and players and so informative. Top man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Moeen has been brilliant on the BBC TMS radio and TV highlights coverage of the games. He's a media natural, no hype, no deliberate controversial statements, just honest comment and analysis of the games and players and so informative. Top man.

I think he should come back in as opener. 

Hear me out. 

He definitely got class about his batting.  He can also spin really well, as we all know.

He's older, more mature and he can wear new balls down.

He isn't any worse with the bat as any of our opening 3.  If he gets in, he can accelerate the scoring, further protecting Root when he comes in.  

He fills 2/3 positions as a single player with his versatility.  Young guys coming in will look up to him.  He's still got 2/3 years in him because he looks after himself.  

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I think he should come back in as opener. 

Hear me out. 

He definitely got class about his batting.  He can also spin really well, as we all know.

He's older, more mature and he can wear new balls down.

He isn't any worse with the bat as any of our opening 3.  If he gets in, he can accelerate the scoring, further protecting Root when he comes in.  

He fills 2/3 positions as a single player with his versatility.  Young guys coming in will look up to him.  He's still got 2/3 years in him because he looks after himself.  

Would be an option, but does he play any red ball cricket these days? 

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

I hope you are not referring to Moeen Ali as hes Englands third leading wicket taker for a  spinner of all time . I think Swann gave Leach some good advice and how to get more drift and action on the ball. he bowled a lot more aggressively at Headingly and he was accurate too with it. 

My criticism is more to the likes of Kerrigan and Bess and whatever awful first class spinner we've trotted out. Moeen, Leach and Swann probably the only test quality spinners we've seen. I think Bracewell was up there with the crappest test spinners I've watched

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 19:28, theunderstudy said:

My criticism is more to the likes of Kerrigan and Bess and whatever awful first class spinner we've trotted out. Moeen, Leach and Swann probably the only test quality spinners we've seen. I think Bracewell was up there with the crappest test spinners I've watched

Yes Kerrigan got one test and froze although id seen him bowl warwickshire out a couple of times. I think under the new regime their will be less pressure on players and far less fear of failure

Didn't realise another series was on. 

Good start from our bowlers, it's bound to go tits up now I've put the radio on. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Didn't realise another series was on. 

Good start from our bowlers, it's bound to go tits up now I've put the radio on. 

It’s not another series, it’s finishing the series from last year (or year before, it’s all morphing into one these days) but the final game had to be cancelled after a covid outbreak in the Indian camp. I figured they would just scrap it but they seem committed to finishing the 5 game series (it’s currently 2-1 to India, FYI).

What is it with 6th wicket stands lately?! 

• Thanks 1

Bears  innings 238/5

Mousley 50 off 22 balls 👏 63 no off 25 balls👏

Stirling 81 off 41

good knock, would love to see them reach finals day

Edited by imavillan

England letting a middle order run away with the score again, there's a shocker. Pant and Jadeja far more dynamic than Mitchell and Blundell but the same headache. When you've got India 5 down for around 100 you've got to really press that advantage home. Happened 4/4 times under Stokes now so wondering if it's his captaincy decisions. Top order getting skittled for little and then the middle order making huge runs is becoming his sides signature, for both fielding and Batting 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

England letting a middle order run away with the score again, there's a shocker. Pant and Jadeja far more dynamic than Mitchell and Blundell but the same headache. When you've got India 5 down for around 100 you've got to really press that advantage home. Happened 4/4 times under Stokes now so wondering if it's his captaincy decisions. Top order getting skittled for little and then the middle order making huge runs is becoming his sides signature, for both fielding and Batting 

This morning has confirmed it. Utter, utter lunacy. Game fully gone now, barring another miracle. Why do we bowl meticulously planning-wise at the top half and then as soon as we're facing bowlers Broad and Stokes and co are bowling shite short balls to try and bounce them out? They're so desperate to get in there and bat that they're allowing teams to add 100 runs on for fun. Absolutely catastrophic captaincy by Stokes and another chance for Lees and Crawley to waste everyone's time opening up... Lees literally already gone after 3 overs this morning. England seem to think being aggressive means throwing control of the game back to teams. India haven't got an absolute Turkey like Michael Bracewell for you to smash 200 runs off per match. And neither do Australia

• Like 1

Â