General Chat

Stevo985

11 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Most coastal towns and villages have this problem, Blackpool is just further along the road with it. 

All the big (for the area) local businesses like the arcades/car parks/supermarkets/restaurants/fishing firms are owned by large national companies and from what I've heard from the ones who aren't they are in the process of selling up. 

It's a money drain on the local area. They obviously provide jobs to the locals but they'll aim to bring costs down as low as possible so investment will be minimal. 

Strangely nobody seems to care or talk about this issue though and focus is on other things. 

What about buying a holiday home in Blackpool ;) 

• Like 1

I've been to Blackpool a couple of times. Its great... if you are drunk! Went on a lads weekend and had an absolute blast. 

It is a dump though. Like most popular UK seaside resorts, it is quite depressing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I imagine they have them with custard on in some places.

We call that place Wigan, they'll eat anything with a pie, they won't eat anything without a pie

Here is what they call a kebab in WIgan

Wigan-Kebab.jpg

• Like 2

I only ever went to Blackpool once and my brother got a ball of silver paper stuck up his nose.

We had to go to the hospital.

When they got it out they also found a pea up there from earlier in the day.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I imagine they have them with custard on in some places.

@sidcowis correct. And pie (meat and potato, obviously), peas and gravy is an absolute staple round these parts.

Hollands are decent, but the best I ever had was at Bamber Bridge football ground*, and they get them from their local butchers or bakers shop just up the road.

*we'd hired there executive box and spent the duration of a 0-0 draw with Otley copiously supping ale and eating pie, peas, chips and gravy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I only ever went to Blackpool once and my brother got a ball of silver paper stuck up his nose.

We had to go to the hospital.

When they got it out they also found a pea up there from earlier in the day.

Was this last year? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

In Blackpool yesterday I had a Hollands pie from the Chippy. 

I asked them what was in the pie, they said they had 3 options, 1) Meat and Potato....... I stopped her there.  I LOVE meat and potato pies and can't understand why you can't get them down here. 

It was a good pie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Anyway did some research this morning and it turns out Hollands are a big manufacturer, basically the northern equivalent of Pukka.  I would say probably a lot better though,  but I expect it's a common Chippy pie up there. 

Anyway, turns out they supply them to Asda, just been out and found them stocked in Shirley branch of Asda INCLUDING meat and potato.  Can't wait to try one.  I know that often the frozen/home cook versions are nothing like the chippy version but I live in hope. 

I'm not sure Ive cared this much about anything before.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

In Blackpool yesterday I had a Hollands pie from the Chippy. 

I asked them what was in the pie, they said they had 3 options, 1) Meat and Potato....... I stopped her there.  I LOVE meat and potato pies and can't understand why you can't get them down here. 

It was a good pie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Anyway did some research this morning and it turns out Hollands are a big manufacturer, basically the northern equivalent of Pukka.  I would say probably a lot better though,  but I expect it's a common Chippy pie up there. 

Anyway, turns out they supply them to Asda, just been out and found them stocked in Shirley branch of Asda INCLUDING meat and potato.  Can't wait to try one.  I know that often the frozen/home cook versions are nothing like the chippy version but I live in hope. 

I've clearly lived up north for too long.  I was flabbergasted when I read the fourth line.  I didn't realise everyone didn't know about Hollands pies.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone had their house re-roofed? 

I think ours needs doing.  I've been googling costs to re-roof house and a 3 bed semi like ours seems to come out at £5-£6,000 which seems suspiciously cheap, I was thinking something like double that. 

Anyone know about scaffolding too? 

We've got a roofed over side passage down the side of the house that adjoins the neighbours roofed over side passage, and a single storey extension to the rear so for the life of me I can't see how they can get the scaffolding up.  I can see that getting really expensive too. 

My mom's about to have hers done for £5k including scaffolding 

Her main problem was finding the right one, it's gone from 3 companies coming out to try and do a patch to having to do the whole roof

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve lived in South Yorkshire for 13 years and I’ve never heard of Hollands pies 🤷🏻‍♂️

Am I not far enough North? 

Wrong side of the Pennines

Geomorphology built them for a reason and there's a right side and a wrong side :mrgreen:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Spent my Saturday pig hunting, not the man with the gun that's all licensed and whathaveyou so I was one go the guys walking through the woods shouting trying to cajole them in front of the shooter

Was strangely fun and really boring at the same time, lots of organisation and standing around trying to work out where they are

Was followed by a get together where beer was free and they put a bbq on with some huge pork steaks and sausages whilst a butcher carved up the 1 pig and 2 deer that were shot, I was surprised that only 2 deer were shot as there were loads of them running about, I think the germans were shocked that the free beer was like a red rag to a bull... 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Spent my Saturday pig hunting, not the man with the gun that's all licensed and whathaveyou so I was one go the guys walking through the woods shouting trying to cajole them in front of the shooter

Was strangely fun and really boring at the same time, lots of organisation and standing around trying to work out where they are

Was followed by a get together where beer was free and they put a bbq on with some huge pork steaks and sausages whilst a butcher carved up the 1 pig and 2 deer that were shot, I was surprised that only 2 deer were shot as there were loads of them running about, I think the germans were shocked that the free beer was like a red rag to a bull... 

Does this make you a pork beater? Turns out, I'm here all week.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Reminds me of my clubbing days unfortunately. 

The last 30 mins at the Dome before the lights come on. 

• Like 3

Â