General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

The boy turned 17 on Friday so went out with his mates on Saturday to London .

They  ended up at the Diwali event in Trafalgar Square for a few hours , went to China Town for dinner and then hung out outside the Classic FM studio for a while  in case they could meet some presenters coming out .

I picked him up from Woking station at 10:00 pm 

my 17th involved me being naked in the streets at 2 am and spending the night with my head down the bog

should I arrange a paternity test or are 17 year olds now just not into drinking ? 

Sounds like a smart lad, good on him. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

They  ended up at the Diwali event in Trafalgar Square for a few hours , went to China Town for dinner and then hung out outside the Classic FM studio for a while  in case they could meet some presenters coming out .

my 17th involved me being naked in the streets at 2 am and spending the night with my head down the bog

should I arrange a paternity test or are 17 year olds now just not into drinking ? 

Question, did you tell your parents what you were really doing? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

Question, did you tell your parents what you were really doing? 

Within reason , mine were quite liberal about drinking and what not , I went away on my first lads holiday at 15 with their consent , and they always knew I was down the pub with friends as I’d tell them  .. their  theory was at least they knew where I was rather than roaming around the streets causing trouble

I think parenting on the whole was a lot more relaxed back then :) 

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

There’s a definite change in this generation, they are way more clued up than we were. My son will have a drink but will stop if he feels himself getting drunk, whereas my daughter can’t see the point in drinking. Apparently it makes you do stupid things and feel sick. Which is exactly what you want to hear as a parent! 

At 17 I was regularly smoking weed and doing speed and Es most weekends, sneaking into clubs with fake ID. 

I do think that the Gen Zs have learnt a lot from their parents mistakes, at least those that have open and honest parents. 

Yep I’ve noticed the generation coming through being less drink orientated which isn’t a bad thing . Nowt wrong with a few stuff drinks but definitely more to life and life is more enjoyable when you don’t abuse alcohol. You’ll have some cracking times in the pub, mind. Each to their own though .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I also think it’s much harder for underage kids to get into places that serve alcohol these days. 

Even when I first started going out (less than 20 years ago) you could get away with hilarious fake IDs. 

I used to scan my passport into the computer, use photoshop to change the birth year and then print it out. And use that printout as my passport. 

These days you need actually legit ID

Me and my mate who looked young for our age both got into loads of clubs and bars and bought loads of beer from shops with DIY ID cards bought from FHM.

Our details weren’t even printed onto them. We hand wrote our details and added a photo and it just had a sticky clear cover than went over it.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I also think it’s much harder for underage kids to get into places that serve alcohol these days. 

Even when I first started going out (less than 20 years ago) you could get away with hilarious fake IDs. 

I used to scan my passport into the computer, use photoshop to change the birth year and then print it out. And use that printout as my passport. 

These days you need actually legit ID

I used to have a fake ID for parachuting club that said over 18s only - worked a treat 😅 

also used a carry a VW key I’d found and used that as a reason I was over 18 if asked by bar staff! 

simpler times 😁

There was a pub in Trench Telford called The Exchange, long since knocked down, but it was a rite of passage of 14 and 15 year olds to get served in there. My memory says I was 14 as that was a big year for other things, but it was likely to be 15. 

It seems that when we were younger and 'rebelled' we just went out, got pissed and took drugs. The youth of today are more aware of what they need to rebel against; they're getting organised and channelling their rebellion in to actually making the world a better place.

• Like 1

I think nights out have definitely changed. The nightclubs that we remember (I say we, as people in late 30's / early 40's) are petty much gone now. Or they are a niche thing nowadays. 

A night out was simple for me - meet in pub, then go to a slightly more upmarket bar, then into the queue for the nightclub and hope you get in! That club was usually Dome II. 

Good times! 

Nights out have evolved - better selection of bars, pubs with later licences, etc. The old ear splitting euro dance club seems to be gone. Maybe thats a good thing, but for me, I'm glad I experienced them 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Me and my mate who looked young for our age both got into loads of clubs and bars and bought loads of beer from shops with DIY ID cards bought from FHM.

Our details weren’t even printed onto them. We hand wrote our details and added a photo and it just had a sticky clear cover than went over it.

I was lucky, just had a giant friend who had to get every round in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was lucky, just had a giant friend who had to get every round in.

One of my mates was massive and had a full beard when he was 15, the rest of us would sit around the back and keep our heads down.

The landlord's face was a picture when bearded lad's parents booked the function room to celebrate his 18th birthday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Anthony said:

The youth of today are more aware of what they need to rebel against; they're getting organised and channelling their rebellion in to actually making the world a better place.

Losers. Obviously a bunch of lightweights

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

One of my mates was massive and had a full beard when he was 15, the rest of us would sit around the back and keep our heads down.

The landlord's face was a picture when bearded lad's parents booked the function room to celebrate his 18th birthday.

My best mate from school (still mates) had 5 o'clock shadow at 13. Send him into the off sales of the Gate Hangs Well in Wollaston.

Bobs your uncle, 2 bottles of strongbow and off down the park (KW insert.)

I on the other hand looked 13 until I was in my 20's. I used to carry a debit card and when I wanted to buy fags I'd tell the people behind the counter that you had to be 16 to have a debit card. It worked 99% of the time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â