General Chat

Stevo985

When I was in a pub recently I saw a cask tap for Oakham's JHB. A bitter. What does it stand for... well, it stands for Jeffrey Hudson Bitter. I looked up the individual and this is what I found

Sir Jeffrey Hudson (1619 – circa 1682) was a court dwarf of the English queen Henrietta Maria of France. He was famous as the "Queen's dwarf" and "Lord Minimus", and was considered one of the "wonders of the age" because of his extreme but well-proportioned smallness. He fought with the Royalists in the English Civil War and fled with the Queen to France but was expelled from her court when he killed a man in a duel. He was captured by Barbary pirates and spent 25 years as a slave in North Africa before being ransomed back to England.

No details of his captivity were recorded except one fact: he claimed to have grown to 45 inches (110 centimetres) during this time, doubling his height after 30 years of age, which he attributed to the buggery he had regularly suffered at the hands of his captors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Hudson

I always find it fascinating when I discover new stuff like this. What a character! He was born in Oakham, hence the ale in his name. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Xela said:

When I was in a pub recently I saw a cask tap for Oakham's JHB. A bitter. What does it stand for... well, it stands for Jeffrey Hudson Bitter. I looked up the individual and this is what I found

I always find it fascinating when I discover new stuff like this. What a character! He was born in Oaokham, hence the bitter in his name. 

I suspect that his measuring of his new height was just a bit of a cock up. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I always find it fascinating when I discover new stuff like this. What a character! He was born in Oakham, hence the ale in his name. 

Have you never been in the Bartons?

11 hours ago, Xela said:

If you like that Alex, read up about the life of John “Mad Jack” Mytton.

Highlights include him bribing voters the equivalent of nearly a million quid to become their MP only to spend half an hour in the House of Commons because he found it boring. Riding a bear into a dinner party. And setting himself on fire to cure a bout of hiccups.

In truth, probably a dreadful character from huge wealth and privilege, but undeniably fascinating. Seemingly took the view of “I am going to piss the lot away.”

The man did not give a ****.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If you like that Alex, read up about the life of John “Mad Jack” Mytton.

Highlights include him bribing voters the equivalent of nearly a million quid to become their MP only to spend half an hour in the House of Commons because he found it boring. Riding a bear into a dinner party. And setting himself on fire to cure a bout of hiccups.

In truth, probably a dreadful character from huge wealth and privilege, but undeniably fascinating. Seemingly took the view of “I am going to piss the lot away.”

The man did not give a ****.

I was reading up on him a couple of weeks ago, due in the main to a mention on Antiques Roadshow. That boy did not give a ****. 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

I only ask as it’s an Oakham pub and iirc there’s a poster about JHB on the wall maybe, or somewhere anyway, maybe on a leaflet or menu

I'll keep an eye out next time :) 

Just now, villa4europe said:

stuff like that is where my missus just dont get what VT is

been after one for a while now as my 4 year old one works when it wants to, told her to wait until black friday, just bought one £20 down from £40, i'll go home she'll say "how did you find out about that?" and i'll say "genie on VT told me" and she will look at me blankly with a tinge of disgust

I have a really old gen 1 device that takes about 20 minutes to boot up. 

I bought a “lite” version for £16.99 for the main TV and the £21.99 for the spare room as it’s a non-smart TV and the embedded TV controls will be really useful.

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

stuff like that is where my missus just dont get what VT is

been after one for a while now as my 4 year old one works when it wants to, told her to wait until black friday, just bought one £20 down from £40, i'll go home she'll say "how did you find out about that?" and i'll say "genie on VT told me" and she will look at me blankly with a tinge of disgust

I'd do the same to you tbh. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Amazon have discounted their firesticks and echo devices ahead of Black Friday so now is the time to buy if like me you’ve been waiting…

Genuinely feel like a complete tech newbie here - but what's the benefit/what do they give you?

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Genuinely feel like a complete tech newbie here - but what's the benefit/what do they give you?

You can watch Amazon Prime movies and box sets. You can also install apps like Netflix, Discovery Plus, Disney+, YouTube and millions of others. Also, you can stream live TV through them if you have the right app and provider…

You can then move it from room to room or take it away with you if you’re away from home. 
They have alexa built in so you can use it to do all the usual alexa stuff (like play music, games, answer questions, turn lights or sockets on/off etc).

If you don’t have an Echo Dot I’d recommend one for £24 (gen 3). Really good bit of kit.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

yeah they basically plug directly in to a HDMI slot and make your TV a smart TV so if like mine the TV in the bedroom is a little on the old side and then your other devices such as playstation / xbox etc are all stupidly hooked up the main TV which is a new smart TV so i have 3 ways of watching netflix on one TV but 0 on the other...

you dont have to have amazon prime and im not sure if id actually recommend it either, its a really mixed bag, but you can download apps for it such as netflix, disney+, youtube, amazon are also expanding their streaming services with stuff like starz, you can also launch a web browser on it for things like streaming football should you choose and then also what made them really popular was you can put apps like Kodi on it which means you can stream just about anything

that wave of kodi about 5/6 years ago was mental, i was in an office of say 40 people and within a month i reckon 30 of us had bought a fire stick and paid the office youngster to load it with kodi

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

yeah they basically plug directly in to a HDMI slot and make your TV a smart TV so if like mine the TV in the bedroom is a little on the old side and then your other devices such as playstation / xbox etc are all stupidly hooked up the main TV which is a new smart TV so i have 3 ways of watching netflix on one TV but 0 on the other...

you dont have to have amazon prime and im not sure if id actually recommend it either, its a really mixed bag, but you can download apps for it such as netflix, disney+, youtube, amazon are also expanding their streaming services with stuff like starz, you can also launch a web browser on it for things like streaming football should you choose and then also what made them really popular was you can put apps like Kodi on it which means you can stream just about anything

that wave of kodi about 5/6 years ago was mental, i was in an office of say 40 people and within a month i reckon 30 of us had bought a fire stick and paid the office youngster to load it with kodi

Can you put Now TV pn it?

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Can you put Now TV pn it?

Looks like you can yes

What Amazon devices are compatible?

The NOW app is compatible on the following Amazon devices:

Fire TV Stick Lite - 1st Gen (2020)

Fire TV Stick - 3rd Gen (2020)

Fire TV Stick - 2nd Gen (2016-2019)

Fire TV Stick - Basic Edition (2017)

Fire TV Stick 4K - 1st Gen (2018)

Fire TV Edition - JVC Smart HD/FHD (2020)

Fire TV Cube - 2nd Gen (2019)

Fire TV Edition - JVC 4K (2019)

• Thanks 1

Â