General Chat

Stevo985

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I was a snobs man, very rarely went to ramshackle, not sure why, probably because of drinking in the sunflower lounge beforehand 

The one at the new academy did a run about ten years back of putting a band on at about 1am for an hour, saw the view and a couple of others that are a blur, if they'd have done that mid 00s when indie bands were 10 a penny I'd have been a regular 

Oh I was a Snobs man too. Snobs on a Wednesday and Ramshackle on a Friday.

But Snobs tended to be saved for school holidays given we'd go on a Wednesday.

Ramshackle was far more regular just because we'd go on a Friday

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I was a snobs man, very rarely went to ramshackle, not sure why, probably because of drinking in the sunflower lounge beforehand 

The one at the new academy did a run about ten years back of putting a band on at about 1am for an hour, saw the view and a couple of others that are a blur, if they'd have done that mid 00s when indie bands were 10 a penny I'd have been a regular 

I did Snobs too... can't remember which nights we went; possibly just mixed it up.

Regularly did three nights though.  Snobs (whenever), Ramshackle (Friday) and Subculture (Saturday).  Those weekends were so heavy - absolutely no chance of managing that these days :D 

Edit:  Also have never been to the "new" Snobs.  Old Snobs was phenomenal - such a good night.  I remember signs being up saying "no moshing" etc. which made sense as was mostly 'indie' music.  Often, though, to clear the place out they used to chuck a random Slipknot or something song on RIGHT AT THE END... which just went down a treat rather than having the desired effect.

Edited by bobzy

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I did Snobs too... can't remember which nights we went; possibly just mixed it up.

Regularly did three nights though.  Snobs (whenever), Ramshackle (Friday) and Subculture (Saturday).  Those weekends were so heavy - absolutely no chance of managing that these days :D 

Edit:  Also have never been to the "new" Snobs.  Old Snobs was phenomenal - such a good night.  I remember signs being up saying "no moshing" etc. which made sense as was mostly 'indie' music.  Often, though, to clear the place out they used to chuck a random Slipknot or something song on RIGHT AT THE END... which just went down a treat rather than having the desired effect.

The new Snobs is... not very good. I went once, on my 30th birthday. And whilst obviously I'd feel old if I went to the old Snobs at 30 years of age, there would still be some older folks in there. In the new Snobs it was all a very very young crowd. I felt totally out of place

• Like 2

I've been 4 or 5 times, it's still the only nightclub in brum I'm going to go to, it's just harder to have a good night in there whereas 15 years ago it was brilliant every time 

You're right it feels really young, been in there a few times where its so busy at the bar that it's impossible to get absolutely smashed blind drunk in there and the bar isn't that cheap anyway so that magic of old snobs has gone, the music has obviously changed too and new music is shit... I've walked out when Kanye came on 

The sports bar part of it is OK though for a beer 

Edit - old snobs and no moshing... Almost embarrassed to say that there was a time where snobs almost went like a leisure centre where you didn't walk out you got asked to leave, rather than going down the slide backwards it was moshing in a gang, usually to a libertines song, don't look back in to the sun was home time 

Edited by villa4europe

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've been 4 or 5 times, it's still the only nightclub in brum I'm going to go to, it's just harder to have a good night in there whereas 15 years ago it was brilliant every time 

You're right it feels really young, been in there a few times where its so busy at the bar that it's impossible to get absolutely smashed blind drunk in there and the bar isn't that cheap anyway so that magic of old snobs has gone, the music has obviously changed too and new music is shit... I've walked out when Kanye came on 

You mean they don't have a vending machine of Carlsberg(?) bottles?! :D 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Old Snobs I used to get 5 shots of vodka in a pint glass topped up with coke for 3 quid

Correct - 50p a shot, 50p a mixer.  I think the Carlsberg vending machine used to be 50p too, but could be wrong.

(Latter old Snobs days, it all changed from 50p to £1)

We used to go to snobs on a Wednesday but lived in Worcester at the time with money tight we avoided a taxi back. If we didn't find somewhere to go after. It was the 630am train usually getting away without paying and plenty of time killing beforehand, which normally just meant chilling and having a joint or 2. 

A Saturday night was usually a birthday or something so it was better planned and got a taxi. Apart from the raves at the Q club when it was the first bus back.

We'd been going out on Thursday nights in Worcester, pretty much from GCSE exam leave onwards so we're desperate for something different and better music. 

Not sure if Worcester is an better now as the Uni has expanded. I don't know what clubs they have there now. 

I've just got back from Blackpool, first time I've been there, thank god when anyone asks me if I've been I can say "yes" and stop that conversation in it's tracks before they look at me like I'm some mental case. 

I was extremely underwhelmed by the lights. 

However I can see why they do them because the place was absolutely packed out. 

With this in mind I'm really suprised at how poor the place is.  The lights do give it a massively extended season compared to other resorts. It doesn't seem to seep through into the locality though.  I mean compare it to Weymouth for example which I bet was a 2/3 empty today compared to a summer season and you'd think it's the other way around. 

Are most attractions and businesses run by outsiders who suck the money away? 

It seems odd. I know it's half term and maybe it's a different story in a couple of weeks but I was really taken aback just how busy it was. 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've just got back from Blackpool, first time I've been there, thank god when anyone asks me if I've been I can say "yes" and stop that conversation in it's tracks before they look at me like I'm some mental case. 

With this in mind I'm really suprised at how poor the place is.  The lights do give it a massively extended season compared to other resorts. It doesn't seem to seep through into the locality though.  I mean compare it to Weymouth for example which I bet was a 2/3 empty today compared to a summer season and you'd think it's the other way around. 

It seems odd. I know it's half term and maybe it's a different story in a couple of weeks but I was really taken aback just how busy it was. 

Most coastal towns and villages have this problem, Blackpool is just further along the road with it. 

All the big (for the area) local businesses like the arcades/car parks/supermarkets/restaurants/fishing firms are owned by large national companies and from what I've heard from the ones who aren't they are in the process of selling up. 

It's a money drain on the local area. They obviously provide jobs to the locals but they'll aim to bring costs down as low as possible so investment will be minimal. 

Strangely nobody seems to care or talk about this issue though and focus is on other things. 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

You’re having the same thoughts as me in the summer when we visited. Now it was August so not a surprised it was busy, but it was absolutely effing heaving. Queues for absolutely everything. 1 in 1 out on the big arcades and to walk on the pier. 30-40 people lines to buy a hot dog.

Every 3rd person stinks of weed, the food is low quality and over priced and there was always an edgy atmosphere due to large groups of pissed people. Police cars constantly screaming up and down the prom with their blue lights on.

There’s so many nicer coastal towns that I just can’t understand the pull Blackpool has.

As you say, go 1 road back from the front and the residential areas are extremely deprived too.

In Blackpool yesterday I had a Hollands pie from the Chippy. 

I asked them what was in the pie, they said they had 3 options, 1) Meat and Potato....... I stopped her there.  I LOVE meat and potato pies and can't understand why you can't get them down here. 

It was a good pie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Anyway did some research this morning and it turns out Hollands are a big manufacturer, basically the northern equivalent of Pukka.  I would say probably a lot better though,  but I expect it's a common Chippy pie up there. 

Anyway, turns out they supply them to Asda, just been out and found them stocked in Shirley branch of Asda INCLUDING meat and potato.  Can't wait to try one.  I know that often the frozen/home cook versions are nothing like the chippy version but I live in hope. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

In Blackpool yesterday I had a Hollands pie from the Chippy. 

I asked them what was in the pie, they said they had 3 options, 1) Meat and Potato....... I stopped her there.  I LOVE meat and potato pies and can't understand why you can't get them down here. 

It was a good pie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Amyway did some research this morning and it turns out Hollands are a big manufacturer, basically the northern equivalent of Pukka.  I would say probably a lot better though,  but I expect it's a common Chippy pie up there. 

Anyway, turns out they supply them to Asda, just been out and found them stocked in Shirley branch of Asda INCLUDING meat and potato.  Can't wait to try one.  I know that often the frozen/home cook versions are nothing like the chippy version but I live in hope. 

I imagine they have them with custard on in some places.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I imagine they have them with custard on in some places.

I had mine with Gravy.  If I'd have had fish I wouldn't have had gravy........... Obviously. 

• Like 1

Â