General Chat

Stevo985

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think you mean “Come baby come”, ignore the domestic disagreement that introduces the song and it kicks off similarly to what you’ve written out....

Yes. Thank you! 

Annoyed at myself as the sheer volume of times I've sung the  'come baby come, baby come come' bit to the little one when he's stood still refusing to move. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Haha 1

On 18/04/2021 at 20:43, sidcow said:

Anyone had double glazing installed recently? I'm getting quotes next week for the front of the house.  Upstairs and downstairs bay window, and 2 other windows.  Got no idea if it would be £500 or £50,000.

If anyone is interested I got quotes from 2 local independent firms which came in within £100 of each other at around £4,100.

Interestingly I've found out that you can easily replace existing handles which I didnt know you could do so am getting the nasty gold ones on the other windows replaced with some matching satin silver ones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If anyone is interested I got quotes from 2 local independent firms which came in within £100 of each other at around £4,100.

Interestingly I've found out that you can easily replace existing handles which I didnt know you could do so am getting the nasty gold ones on the other windows replaced with some matching satin silver ones. 

Make sure they register the new windows with FENSA. Sometimes they don’t do this (as it costs money) but it’s a legal requirement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Someone please help. I've got the intro (might be the chorus) to a song (think it's 90s dance but could easily be wrong) but can't figure out what it is and Google is no help. It goes something like this:

Du-ding, du-ding, du-ding, du-du-du-ding-ding. 

Wife says it's a guy saying words and not dings but it's something like that. Driving myself mad and won't be able to stop until I figure it out. 

Is it Hey Student by The Fall?

• Haha 2

On 23/04/2021 at 14:43, HanoiVillan said:

Anyone up for an autocomplete challenge?

Inspired by the following, apparently real headline from Today's Mail:

I tried typing in 'the woke mob can rant for all they're worth, but' and letting autocomplete do the rest, and got:

'The woke mob can rant for all they're worth, but if we don't finish in the top 6 we can go out and have a bit of a meltdown'. (?)

Any improvements?

The woke mob can rant for all they're worth, but I think it was a nice place for a few days and I didn't want a villa to be honest

• Haha 2

Booked Thursday and Friday off this week because meh... need some time away from the computer screen. Any idea where's good to go to for a loner to go for a drive / day out? Seaside would be nice but i don't know how far is acceptable to drive for a day out considering a lot of stuff is not open or restricted/bookings etc.

24 minutes ago, MCU said:

Booked Thursday and Friday off this week because meh... need some time away from the computer screen. Any idea where's good to go to for a loner to go for a drive / day out? Seaside would be nice but i don't know how far is acceptable to drive for a day out considering a lot of stuff is not open or restricted/bookings etc.

St Annes is a fairly pleasant couple of hours. Combine it with Lytham and on the way back Southport. That is a pretty good day.  

• Like 1

On 25/04/2021 at 11:21, Seat68 said:

Is it Hey Student by The Fall?

One of three songs I can think of in popular culture that references Leigh-on-Sea and two of them kind of reference its population as bordering on fascist

Just now, bickster said:

One of three songs I can think of in popular culture that references Leigh-on-Sea and two of them kind of reference its population as bordering on fascist

Its in my top 5 Fall songs. Its a cracker and from a time I disliked that indie student look and their liking of obscure tunes. I never saw the irony. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its in my top 5 Fall songs. Its a cracker and from a time I disliked that indie student look and their liking of obscure tunes. I never saw the irony. 

It morphed a bit, it was originally called Hey Student but then MES realised that lots of Fall fans were... students so it changed to Hey Fascist (according to Una Baines), then later on, he changed it back to Student but left some of the Fascist changes in. (The Leigh-on-Sea bit is from the Fascist rewrite but remained in after it reverted back)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

St Annes is a fairly pleasant couple of hours. Combine it with Lytham and on the way back Southport. That is a pretty good day.  

Oi @blandy prepare to repel interlopers from our respective manors!

• Haha 2

On 25/04/2021 at 09:34, Rds1983 said:

Someone please help. I've got the intro (might be the chorus) to a song (think it's 90s dance but could easily be wrong) but can't figure out what it is and Google is no help. It goes something like this:

DifficultFrailBluebottlejellyfish-size_r

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

My dad’s received a £60 parking fine for overstaying the free 2 hours at a motorway services.

They have a photo of his car entering the car park on one day and then leaving again 2-3 days later.

The truth is he’s never parked there, he’s been driving through their car park to take an illegal back way off the motorway for about 35 years.

Is that Keele? My boss always used to exit the motorway there via a service road. 

Edited by sidcow

Â