General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Xela said:

More of a rhetorical question, but where does time go? Mid April already. Year is flying by. To be honest, it feels like the last 5 years have gone in the blink of an eye. Kind of frightening really. 

@mjmooney - do you experience the same? Time going quicker as you get older? (sorry for picking on you!)

It’s alright he’s old he’ll have forgotten by tomorrow :)

I booked Monday off work to go go to the pub , which made me realise that’s my first day off this year , I could have sworn it was only a couple of weeks ago 2021 started !!

5 hours ago, Xela said:

More of a rhetorical question, but where does time go? Mid April already. Year is flying by. To be honest, it feels like the last 5 years have gone in the blink of an eye. Kind of frightening really. 

@mjmooney - do you experience the same? Time going quicker as you get older? (sorry for picking on you!)

It's because every new day is a smaller proportion of your life.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Xela said:

Time going quicker as you get older

The reason why is because when you're ten, a year is 10% of your entire life. And nearly everything is a new experience.

When you're 60 it's 1.7% of your life and not so much is new to you.

They say time flies when you're having fun, but it doesn't, I don't think. 'cus if you have a good weekend with stuff packed in, it seems to go on for ages, especially when you look back on it - all those new experiences, like being 10 again.

That's my theory anyway.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

The reason why is because when you're ten, a year is 10% of your entire life. And nearly everything is a new experience.

They say time flies when you're having fun, but it doesn't, I don't think. 'cus if you have a good weekend with stuff packed in, it seems to go on for ages, especially when you look back on it - all those new experiences, like being 10 again.

That's my theory anyway.

In a spy thriller I read there was a drug  that they used to ensure compliance that would slow the beating of a flys wing to last a whole day so in effect you could be 90 years old physically but only a day at that rate would have been lived. 

Not sure what if anything that has to do with your post but makes you think 

24 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

In a spy thriller I read there was a drug  that they used to ensure compliance that would slow the beating of a flys wing to last a whole day so in effect you could be 90 years old physically but only a day at that rate would have been lived. 

You'd die of oxygen deprivation just a few minutes after getting the drug. So would the fly..

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's my theory anyway.

Yeah I'm the same, I think time flies when there's **** all happening, there's nothing to remember, no milestones or anything of importance, Xmas feels like yesterday because I remember nothing from January or February because I did nothing in those months, it's the blurriest time of my life, one big mash of nothingness with nothing in front of me to count down to or slow time down either 

**** corona 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You'd die of oxygen deprivation just a few minutes after getting the drug. So would the fly..

Why, it was portrayed as the drug creating a mental simulation, not physical, rather like being trapped. Not very pleasant I would think but technically possible should some mad boffin put his mind to it

Edited by Follyfoot

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Why, it was portrayed as the drug creating a mental simulation, not physical, rather like being trapped. Not very pleasant I would think but technically possible should some mad boffin put his mind to it

I'm confused, I thought it was slowing down the beating of the fly's wing, which is physical no?

If it just **** up your sense of time perception, I guess it's a kind of extremer version of ketamine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

You said it slowed the fly's wings down.

Drugs can't cause specific "mental simulation" (all our experience is a simulation). They also can't introduce new "content" to fill in the additional time. If it were possible your cognitive functions would collapse any dreamed experience into a construct to fit the physical timeline. See also "near death experiences".

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm confused, I thought it was slowing down the beating of the fly's wing, which is physical no?

If it just **** up your sense of time perception, I guess it's a kind of extremer version of ketamine.

Sorry, it was perceived rather than reality 

• Like 1

This perception of time thing..

I heard a great story once, It gets across the point that the earth really is alive. If you were interviewing a butterfly Standing on the branch of a sequoia tree... Now, a butterfly lives only for a few days, But a sequoia tree can live for over a thousand years. If you were to ask the butterfly, "Do you perceive the object on which you're standing as being alive?" The butterfly would say: of course not. I've been here all my life, Which is all of five days, and the tree hasn't done a thing. Well, it's the same problem with the human being. If you would ask a person, Perhaps one that's lived for a hundred years, If they perceive the earth, which is really 5 billion years old, as being alive, They would say, "Of course not. I've been here my whole life, and it hasn't done a thing." The earth really is alive. Butterfly Standing on the branch Of a sequoia tree The earth really is alive.

Born of Fire

and Kinobe

The batteries went on one of our burglar alarms sensors and the firm quoted us £80 to come out and replace it. Cost me £4 on amazon to get a replacement battery and took under a minute to switch them. Ridiculous call out fee. 

• Like 1

Â