General Chat

Stevo985

Question, after I passed the tesco driving assessment I was offered the job last Thursday, I was told I'd get a phone call again that afternoon or Friday with a start date or an email with a start date, I still haven't received anything

How long do I leave it before I phone them? 

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Question, after I passed the tesco driving assessment I was offered the job last Thursday, I was told I'd get a phone call again that afternoon or Friday with a start date or an email with a start date, I still haven't received anything

How long do I leave it before I phone them? 

Give them a call. Worst case they say they're backed up with stuff and give you an update. Best case they get it on it now. Just play it with a straight bat - you're just wondering when you'll get a start date as you were meant to get it on Friday but it didn't arrive and you know how things can be on a Friday blah blah blah.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Thomas Cook gone

will probably be linked to Brexit but in reality their model is outdated, cant compete with skyscanner and air bnb, people are more confident and adventurous thanks to the technology at their disposal so don't need tour operators anymore for anything other than an incredibly low margin bargain holiday which Jet2 are hoovering up

To be fair to them, if you were just looking for 2 weeks all inclusive in a place like Sharm or Sousse or Marmaris, then it was very hard to beat the TC/TUI prices. I tried it myself.. looking at direct flights to Egypt and dealing with the hotel direct and it came out much more expensive. 

I only ever used then for all inclusive holidays as city breaks and long haul adventures were all planned and booked separately but there was a market for these companies, albeit, in reduced form. Of the two main ones, TUI always seemed leaps and bounds better than Thomas Cook. 

I'm sure its an unpopular opinion, but I find the Greta Thunberg circus a tad disturbing. 

I can't help feel she is being used by others to further their interests and for financial gain. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

To be fair to them, if you were just looking for 2 weeks all inclusive in a place like Sharm or Sousse or Marmaris, then it was very hard to beat the TC/TUI prices. I tried it myself.. looking at direct flights to Egypt and dealing with the hotel direct and it came out much more expensive. 

I only ever used then for all inclusive holidays as city breaks and long haul adventures were all planned and booked separately but there was a market for these companies, albeit, in reduced form. Of the two main ones, TUI always seemed leaps and bounds better than Thomas Cook. 

Thomas Cook and Tui are different companies.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Thomas Cook and Tui are different companies.

Yeah I know 🙂 As i refer to later in the post where I say TUI is miles better. 

I was making a point re: big travel agents in general and people saying they don't know why people used them. 

ps Bring back the Lunn Poly parrot! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah I know 🙂 As i refer to later in the post where I say TUI is(was) miles better. 

I was making a point re: big travel agents in general and people saying they don't know why people used them. 

Sunflight! (HDE invented travel agents, you know). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah I know 🙂 As i refer to later in the post where I say TUI is miles better. 

Get away!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Chief Exec took out £8,000,000 in 3 years?

Job well done lad.

Speaks volumes about who the people leading the company were looking after.

They've been in major, major trouble in that period and still took that much out.

Aside from the fat cats it's a very poorly paid industry. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Interestingly having recently been to South Africa, there are Woolworths everywhere there

totally unrelated companies .. there was a court case over the use of the name brought by the US original that they lost

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Genie said:

Speaks volumes about who the people leading the company were looking after.

They've been in major, major trouble in that period and still took that much out.

Aside from the fat cats it's a very poorly paid industry. 

Same as banking really. There are a lot of people who work for large financial organisations who don't earn a huge amount of money. I know, I used to be one of them 15 years ago!

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Interestingly having recently been to South Africa, there are Woolworths everywhere there

C & A are still around in Europe. Used to be a big one in the Dam. 

• Like 1

I popped to the cafe over the road from my office earlier, to find that the young lass I've been drooling over for years had a wardrobe malfunction and at least 3 of her blouse buttons were undone. I got all flustered, I can't remember ordering my coffee.

She hadn't noticed, do you think I should have said something to her? I didn't want to embarrass her. 

rik mayall bottom GIF

"May I say, what a smashing blouse you have on."

• Haha 3

Â