General Chat

Stevo985

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I **** hate every season except summer, and I really hate summer when it's shit like this year as well. Maybe I've got SAD. 

I like the extra length of the days in summer, but not the extra heat. I love a really bright, and crisp cold winters day. They're the best.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

I like the extra length of the days in summer, but not the extra heat. I love a really bright, and crisp cold winters day. They're the best.

Yeah, to be fair you're right, and I was being a drama queen. Those *are* nice days, I just wish the winter consisted of more of them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

WTF? Is there really a serious claim being made that this summer was 'shit'? That's extraordinary.

I'm surprised as well. We had a couple of really, really hot spells that lasted days that had me thoroughly miserable because it was too hot to get a good night's sleep for several days at a time. If that's a shit summer, I don't want a good one.

• Like 1

I've had to track weather data several times because of construction claims, claimable inclement weather is usually classed as worse than the last 20 years, the shit thing is you can only claim time and not money so its usually stuffed in your back pocket

2 months ago I checked the last 5 years worth of temperatures in tianjin because someone was trying to sell us a cheaper quicker better waterproofing product to use there, what they tucked away in the data sheets was it can only be applied between 15 and 30° giving you around about 50 days a year that we wouldn't have to cool or heat the site, we could have lost over a million if we'd just cracked on with it

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's been cooler this year than last year.  I have the degree day data to prove it lololol.

It also seems like most of the better days were during Monday-Friday. I'm very confident that we had a lot fewer good weekend days this year than last year. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Passed my CBT today, everyone says how easy it is, "you just need to turn up" etc... lol, nope. It's a lot harder and more involved than it looks, even on a little 50cc automatic scooter. Im proper proud of myself but my family dont really care about it :(. Great fun though. Highly recommended. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It also seems like most of the better days were during Monday-Friday. I'm very confident that we had a lot fewer good weekend days this year than last year. 

I'll have a look to see if I can prove this for you.

I read on the Beeb about 3 years ago though that there is a small improvement in the weather Monday to Friday, caused by artificially heating certain areas due to vehicle pollution. 

Which is... Nice.. 

• Thanks 1

I did my first ever Tough Mudder yesterday 😁

My girlfriend had done a couple before with some old work friends but this time it was just me and her (another friend was meant to come but he injured his knee).

It was really good fun, I highly recommend it. I’m not super fit or buff or anything like that. We signed up for it back in April and gave ourselves a few months to work up our fitness. We started off well but tailed off in the last month.

Still, we were fine. You can go at your own pace so we lightly jogged most of it and walked parts too (the course is 8.8 miles) and I think of the 25 or so obstacles, we only skipped a couple due to them being physically impossible for us (lack of upper body strength, mainly).

I did all the ones I was capable of doing though, including stuff like ice baths, getting electric shocks (got shocked four times in total, not fun but not too bad either) and very cramped spaces. I wouldn’t go as far as to say I’m claustrophobic, but I certainly don’t enjoy not being able to move much.

Really glad I did it though. It was held at Cholmondeley Castle in Cheshire. Beautiful grounds and the weather and temperature were perfect. Highly recommend it to anyone. You get a completion T-shirt and headband, as well as an ice cold beer at the end. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I did my first ever Tough Mudder yesterday 😁

My girlfriend had done a couple before with some old work friends but this time it was just me and her (another friend was meant to come but he injured his knee).

It was really good fun, I highly recommend it. I’m not super fit or buff or anything like that. We signed up for it back in April and gave ourselves a few months to work up our fitness. We started off well but tailed off in the last month.

Still, we were fine. You can go at your own pace so we lightly jogged most of it and walked parts too (the course is 8.8 miles) and I think of the 25 or so obstacles, we only skipped a couple due to them being physically impossible for us (lack of upper body strength, mainly).

I did all the ones I was capable of doing though, including stuff like ice baths, getting electric shocks (got shocked four times in total, not fun but not too bad either) and very cramped spaces. I wouldn’t go as far as to say I’m claustrophobic, but I certainly don’t enjoy not being able to move much.

Really glad I did it though. It was held at Cholmondeley Castle in Cheshire. Beautiful grounds and the weather and temperature were perfect. Highly recommend it to anyone. You get a completion T-shirt and headband, as well as an ice cold beer at the end. 

And you get electrocuted? :o

Yeah, yeah - I get a shock isn't electocution.

Edited by snowychap

They have a couple of obstacles with hanging wires that give you a nasty jolt if you brush against them; the aim being to avoid them of course, which is easier said than done.

The first was a low net where you crawled on your belly through mud. I think they had wires running across the top of the net that zapped you too. The other one was the last obstacle before the finish line and was just an area where wires hung down and they encouraged you to just run on through rather than take your time. I just pegged it, but got shocked twice. My girlfriend took about five minutes to get through as other people blundered past her, but to her credit she didn’t get shocked once.

On 07/09/2019 at 11:25, villa4europe said:

I've had to track weather data several times because of construction claims, claimable inclement weather is usually classed as worse than the last 20 years, the shit thing is you can only claim time and not money so its usually stuffed in your back pocket

2 months ago I checked the last 5 years worth of temperatures in tianjin because someone was trying to sell us a cheaper quicker better waterproofing product to use there, what they tucked away in the data sheets was it can only be applied between 15 and 30° giving you around about 50 days a year that we wouldn't have to cool or heat the site, we could have lost over a million if we'd just cracked on with it

I was close to a job in Tianjin but decided to not continue the process after taking a really deep dive on living in China as a Westerner. 

I'm really interested to know if you've been over there though to work? Specifically Tianjin.

Â