General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I don't think I've ever watched a game in HD

Luddite when it comes to stuff like that. 

I found HD not initially “wow” but after you’ve been watching it for a while SD looks blurry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I found HD not initially “wow” but after you’ve been watching it for a while SD looks blurry.

yeah this , I don’t actually watch any non HD channels now 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Some of the greatest films were made in black and white. Some of the greatest records were made in mono. The message is more important than the medium. 

My favourite film is “Harvey” so I’m not dismissing bygone eras , it’s just when I’m at home watching TV I won’t bother with the SD channels 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

My favourite film is “Harvey” so I’m not dismissing bygone eras , it’s just when I’m at home watching TV I won’t bother with the SD channels 

Whereas I never bother with the HD channels. Takes too long to scroll down there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I tend to watch the programme or film I most think I might like, as long as they’re not on Channel 5 with 5 minutes of adverts  every 10 minutes.

But then I’ve only got a pretty small tv, it’s not really my thing. I’m fine with Emily Maitliss being slightly out of focus.

The kids have got a bigger screen upstairs for their ps wii.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

McLuhan. He was talking bollocks. 

Is the larger font a milder version of all caps?:detect:

Given the phenomenon of Trump's Twitter account, don't you think there's some validity to the idea that a medium can have as much impact on the evolution of a culture (in this case political culture in the US) as the content?  He would never be given an opportunity to say on TV or in traditional print the sort of tripe he spews on Twitter, even on Fox News.   I would also argue that Instagram culture is all about the medium when you consider the vacuousness of the content.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, well they were on test and had warnings on them, but yep.

I think one had started life as a mondeo, not sure what the other one was, too many boxes and aerials and graphics on it. But they were up and down the side streets of Croydon all day, out there on real streets dealing with buses and people.

Interesting.   We've had Google/Waymo driverless cars around our area for years (very close to Google HQ), but they still always have a person in them even though they're not actively driving.

12 hours ago, Xann said:

Motion on cathode ray tellies is superior to modern flat screens.

UHD is going to be more noticeable on silly big screens.

Most modern TVs will have a ‘motion smoothing’ setting for watching sport (or sometimes just called a ‘sport mode’ or similar).

It is what you want when watching fast moving pictures as it digitally creates additional frames between the filmed frames by merging the two frames either side of it to create a new composite frame, removing shuddering giving a better picture. 

You want to turn it off when watching films though as it makes cinema movies look like cheap TV shows. 

Edited by LondonLax

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Is the larger font a milder version of all caps?:detect:

Given the phenomenon of Trump's Twitter account, don't you think there's some validity to the idea that a medium can have as much impact on the evolution of a culture (in this case political culture in the US) as the content?  He would never be given an opportunity to say on TV or in traditional print the sort of tripe he spews on Twitter, even on Fox News.   I would also argue that Instagram culture is all about the medium when you consider the vacuousness of the content.

I was joking. I do realise McLuhan wasn't talking about HD TVs. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Most modern TVs will have a ‘motion smoothing’ setting for watching sport (or sometimes just called a ‘sport mode’ or similar).

Aye. The telly at home generally lives on Cinema, but Sport and Game are better sometimes when the screen appears dark.

My work involves lots of screens and codecs, we retain a couple of reference CRTs. Motion and lag times are superior.

Purchased some magazines today from WH Smiths (no @rjw63, they weren't jazz mags!)

I was thinking it must be about at least 10 years since I last purchased one. I used to read loads of them, but always online devices kind of put an end to that. 

Flying over on Wednesday night to Manchester and on to Leeds for a week. Doing a few cathedral concerts with the University of Texas El Paso choir. (Yes, the El Paso that just suffered that terrible massacre.) Great kids and staff in El Paso and I'm along as a guest artists for a free trip back to the UK!

The most important thing is I need beer recommendations. Particularly traditional British Bitters. There are a million craft ales over here, IPA's etc, but I'm interested in the hidden gem breweries that only serve a few pubs. Any info will be greatly appreciated! Looking at you Mike! @mjmooney

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Purchased some magazines today from WH Smiths (no @rjw63, they weren't jazz mags!)

I was thinking it must be about at least 10 years since I last purchased one. I used to read loads of them, but always online devices kind of put an end to that. 

prices have gone crazy, I'll buy a magazine if its got a special CD on it (last magazine I bought was Q magazine with a foals vinyl with it) but other than that I cant justify the cost, the Q magazine + empire or total film for £5 used to be purchased every holiday I went on

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Flying over on Wednesday night to Manchester and on to Leeds for a week. Doing a few cathedral concerts with the University of Texas El Paso choir. (Yes, the El Paso that just suffered that terrible massacre.) Great kids and staff in El Paso and I'm along as a guest artists for a free trip back to the UK!

The most important thing is I need beer recommendations. Particularly traditional British Bitters. There are a million craft ales over here, IPA's etc, but I'm interested in the hidden gem breweries that only serve a few pubs. Any info will be greatly appreciated! Looking at you Mike! @mjmooney

Carling 😉 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm surprised magazines of any type still exist

Â