General Chat

Stevo985

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

We could always call it Stevo's gardening thread while you're still with us.  I find tributes should be enjoyed by the people they're for.

That sounds like it's a thread where you all discuss my personal grooming :D 

Do it.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The top of this thread suggests I created it. Even though the first post is by @AVFCLaura

Not that I'm complaining. I'd rather this thread got named after me if I drop dead than the gardening one.

Threads were merged to make this the general chat thread, You will have started the parent thread, Laura will have posted the earliest post in all the ones that were merged

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Threads were merged to make this the general chat thread, Laura will have started the parent thread, you will have posted the earliest post in all the ones that were merged

Ah - I'm down as the author of the Song thread.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That sounds like it's a thread where you all discuss my personal grooming :D

'Stevo's Uphill Gardening Thread' sounds more seedy.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

But I guess the key word is 'song' - I'm a songs guy, and I have very little tolerance for music which is primarily groove-based (funk, reggae, motorik, hip hop, whatever). I'd rather listen to Leonard Cohen, frankly. 

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

All music is made up of some combination of (up to) four elements: lyrics, melody, harmony and rhythm. For me, personally, I would rank them in that order (the first three can swap around a bit, but rhythm always comes last). 

EDIT: And, yeah, I know, I know. African drums, the blues, swing bands, New Orleans, rock'n'roll, Motown, the Stones, etc., etc. All good and fine. But the song must come first. 

I think we're a long way apart (which I know is absolutely fine).

All about finding that groove thing for me and I really don't give too much of a hoot for the lyrics very often. That's not an absolute rule, I like some early Billy Bragg for the lyrics, some early Jam stuff really gets to me on a personal level. But ordinarily, I'm all about motorik, funk, reggae stuff.

I was listening to some Jane Weaver yesterday, then realised I wasn't really listening to her, even though it was pitched to me that she was some sort of modern psych folk singer. I was listening to the motorik track behind it. Not a clue what the song was banging on about.

But that's meant I'm perfectly comfy listening to foreign language lyrics. Which has opened up all that Tinariwen style Malian music and King Sunny Ade etc..

So yeah, I'd usually put lyrics last.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get it. Haven't heard that Jane Weaver, but I'm pretty sure the motorik backing would spoil it for me. You don't even need drums for psych/folk. I've mentioned The War On Drugs a few times in a similar context - great band if only they'd ditch that effing drum machine. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You're ahead of me, then. I bought Unknown Pleasures and Closer a couple of years ago, with open mind, and rather expecting to be impressed. I wasn't. Yawnsville. 

I’ve played them occasionally in the past, but just thought it was alright . I think musically they are very good, and Ian Curtis is The North of England’s answer to Jim Morrison.

21 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Kind of the opposite for me.

New Order should be a band that I enjoy - but apart from a couple of tunes I just never have. Joy Division on the other hand are superb.

I like two New Order songs and that’s it. 

21 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I dont get Joy Division, and trust me, I like overtly miserable bands, I own Chameleons and Gang of Four albums for gods sake, but christ, one the one hand, them first 5 New Order albums are just magnificent, but add Ian Curtis to the mix and and I am scratching my head.

I was never a fan of Curtis, but I get him now. Or maybe I just accept him. I don’t particularly like his voice, but it works, and lyrically it’s very real. 

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No, actually, scratch that 'meh', it's not strong enough. That Breeders track actually got released? I hate her voice, and the playing takes 'amateurish and incompetent' to new levels. 

That does sound like utter shite doesn't it.

As for New Order, they just sound too 80s for me to even try and get into them.  Joy Division seem marginally better from what I've heard.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I always considered Peter Hook a frustrated guitarist who had to settle on playing bass.

he certainly treats his bass as a guitar a fair bit. 

Geezer Butler out of Sabbath was a Rhythm guitar player at first but it didn’t fit with the band. He went straight to Bass and played it like a lead guitar following the riff behind Iommi. I think he said Jack Bruce was his main influence.

• Like 1

I like “Regret”, that’s because I liked the use of it in Match of the 90’s.

“Age of Consent”, a version of that pops up in Wayne’s World 2.

Of course “Temptation” is used in Trainspotting. 

It appears I like New Order songs when used sporadically in soundtracks.

23 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Geezer Butler out of Sabbath was a Rhythm guitar player at first but it didn’t fit with the band. He went straight to Bass and played it like a lead guitar following the riff behind Iommi. I think he said Jack Bruce was his main influence.

Well let’s face it, jack bruce was phenomenal (and being alongside Clapton and Ginger Baker couldn’t have hurt either!)  

what a combo.

• Like 2

I went to Digbeth Dining Club last night and had food from the ribman

https://theribman.co.uk/

Great tasting food but jeez the Holy F**K sauce is so hot. Took the lining off my tongue. Even so i was daft enough to buy a bottle of it for this afternoons BBQ.

I also make all my own sauces, from a smokey BBQ through to a range of hot sauces with varying heat levels. Without a doubt the most popular being "Holy F##k".

I do like the DDC but do find some of the food there a tad on the expensive side. But heh there you go.

For a different night out It's worth a trip for those who have not been before. 

On 21/06/2019 at 20:00, chrisp65 said:

I think we're a long way apart (which I know is absolutely fine).

All about finding that groove thing for me and I really don't give too much of a hoot for the lyrics very often. That's not an absolute rule, I like some early Billy Bragg for the lyrics, some early Jam stuff really gets to me on a personal level. But ordinarily, I'm all about motorik, funk, reggae stuff.

I was listening to some Jane Weaver yesterday, then realised I wasn't really listening to her, even though it was pitched to me that she was some sort of modern psych folk singer. I was listening to the motorik track behind it. Not a clue what the song was banging on about.

But that's meant I'm perfectly comfy listening to foreign language lyrics. Which has opened up all that Tinariwen style Malian music and King Sunny Ade etc..

So yeah, I'd usually put lyrics last.

This is pretty much my take too

On 22/06/2019 at 08:49, theboyangel said:

Well let’s face it, jack bruce was phenomenal (and being alongside Clapton and Ginger Baker couldn’t have hurt either!)  

what a combo.

SIngles band, albums were pretty shite

• Like 1

Â