General Chat

Stevo985

16 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What's the difference between pink noise & white noise?

Pink noise or 1f noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density (energy or power per frequency interval) is inversely proportional to the frequency of the signal. Pink noise is the most common signal in biological systems.In pink noise, each octave (halving/doubling in frequency) carries an equal amount of noise energy. The name arises from the pink appearance of visible light with this power spectrum. This is in contrast with white noise which has equal intensity per frequency interval.

Wiki

No, I don't understand it, either. 

Edited by mjmooney

I sleep well with background noise, like a fan in the background. Having silence sounds/feels weird. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I sleep well with background noise, like a fan in the background. Having silence sounds/feels weird. 

I have a podcast on almost every time I go to sleep. Feels weird to not have one. 

I sleep so well with a fan going, I'd happily have it on during winter. If no fan, I've got my iPod Classic that is entirely and exclusively comprised of ambient acts. Also prefer absolute pitch black (we had shutter blinds outside the RAF blocks we grew up in). Wife on the other hand hates the dark, wants absolute silence and the bedroom door wide open (presumably for a quick getaway if she ever reassesses her life choices). The door open was the toughest one to get used to, freaks me out. I mean FFS, that's how the Babadook gets you!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I have a podcast on almost every time I go to sleep. Feels weird to not have one. 

I’m exactly the same. It’s become an addiction to the point where I don’t think I could fall asleep, or at the very least take forever to fall asleep, without it. 

Which sounds bad, but before podcasts I would take forever to fall asleep anyway. It’s been much better since I discovered I could listen to other people’s thoughts rather than my own. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Pink noise or 1f noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density (energy or power per frequency interval) is inversely proportional to the frequency of the signal. Pink noise is the most common signal in biological systems.In pink noise, each octave (halving/doubling in frequency) carries an equal amount of noise energy. The name arises from the pink appearance of visible light with this power spectrum. This is in contrast with white noise which has equal intensity per frequency interval.

Well, that clears that up then :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michelsen said:

I’m exactly the same. It’s become an addiction to the point where I don’t think I could fall asleep, or at the very least take forever to fall asleep, without it. 

Which sounds bad, but before podcasts I would take forever to fall asleep anyway. It’s been much better since I discovered I could listen to other people’s thoughts rather than my own. 

Yep same. 

I can sleep with nothing playing. But it feels weird. And definitely takes me longer. 

Luckily my other half has adjusted to my addiction

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep same. 

I can sleep with nothing playing. But it feels weird. And definitely takes me longer. 

Luckily my other half has adjusted to my addiction

Old XFM shows?!

White Noise Lite - Stream Water Flowing is my go to sound to help me drift off. Otherwise its earplugs if I don't need an alarm the next morning. Haven't had a single night where I've not used the app or used the earplugs for years now. 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I wonder if this is all linked to our (modern times) inability to switch off completely?

I actually think it’s the opposite. 

I struggle to switch off in silence. I think about work and stresses in my life when I’m left with my own thoughts. 

With a podcast on I don’t think about anything else and I’m usually asleep in seconds. 

For me it actually makes me switch off

• Like 1

I don't get this listening to podcasts thing at all. Either it's interesting, in which case I'll want to listen to it, and not fall asleep and miss something. Or it isn't, and will annoy me. Only minimalist music has any chance of working. Can't be doing with speech. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't get this listening to podcasts thing at all. Either it's interesting, in which case I'll want to listen to it, and not fall asleep and miss something. Or it isn't, and will annoy me. Only minimalist music has any chance of working. Can't be doing with speech. 

I’ll absolutely want to listen to it. But it still sends me straight to sleep. I’ll usually only hear the first couple of minutes  

I just then listen to it again the next day on the way to work and hear the whole thing. 

Â