General Chat

Stevo985

On 22/05/2019 at 19:48, mjmooney said:

My (nearly) four-year old granddaughter drew a picture of me. Finally worked out who it reminded me of... 

CollageMaker_20190522_194412120.jpg

I must say mate, the picture is absolutely shit, but her writing is really coming on.

Well done kidda! 👏👏👏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 25/05/2019 at 17:15, Xela said:

Couple of chaps at my work did Everest base camp last year... even though its 12,000 feet lower than the summit they said it was really difficult and took a huge toll on their body. They are seasoned walkers/hikers and the altitude nearly beat them. 

My attempt at base camp resulted in my losing consciousness, spending 12 hours in a Gamow bag and then a helicopter ride down the mountain... my head felt like it was wobbling like a jelly due to build ups of fluid in it and I had a resting heart rate of about 186  ( it used to normally be 40 at that time  ) 

somebody died at the same spot as me the day before because their guide didn’t know about the Gamow bag and they failed to get them down the mountain in time ...

fine margins , I guess it’s likely I could have died had I been with a different guide , will never know for sure 

weird thing about it was it was I was super fit at that time , now i’m old and out of shape , I’ve hiked up peaks far higher than base camp and not had any problems at all

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

I just saw a guy unleash diarrhoeaon the hard shoulder. 

Not on the side of the motorway in bushes or something. Literally bracing himself on the car and spraying across the tarmac 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I just saw a guy unleash diarrhoeaon the hard shoulder. 

Not on the side of the motorway in bushes or something. Literally bracing himself on the car and spraying across the tarmac 🤣

@Xela on his way to Wembley? 

• Haha 3

On 25/05/2019 at 14:32, Chindie said:

You're basically slowly dying every second you spend trying to summit. You're so high up that the oxygen available isn't enough to sustain the body for very long. That in turn physically weakens you while you're also attempting to complete an incredibly physically demanding act, and if you're unlucky you'll actually start to suffer organ failure. You then have the weather factor, which makes it even more difficult by delaying an ascent or simply making the task much harder. And so on. And that's only summiting - you spend weeks beforehand getting acclimated and slowly going up the mountain so you even stand a chance of physically being able to get to the summit.

You can be extremely fit, a superbly gifted climber, and die on Everest. Your body can fail you, you can succumb to the physical demands and die, your brain can fail you and you make mistakes in your addled state, the weather can kill you... It's one of the most physically demanding things you can do.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

k7zpjchpi4dkcgjeitcc.thumb.jpg.846a0eb3064b79425ac97c62fb7c94f9.jpg

World Populace Actually Fine With Rich People Dying On Mount Everest

GENEVA—Saying they had no real problem with wealthy thrill-seekers failing in their efforts to scale the tallest mountain on earth, the entire human population admitted Tuesday that they are, in fact, completely fine with rich people dying on Mount Everest. “These guys shelling out a hundred grand to climb a 29,000-foot peak with a team of Sherpas are obviously aware that many people have died in the attempt, so they kind of know what they’re getting into, right?” said Cleveland resident Richard Warvil, echoing the sentiments of the world’s 7.7 billion people, who acknowledged the deaths of affluent amateur climbers who voluntarily ascend to heights at which oxygen stops reaching the brain don’t really upset them all that much. “At a certain point, you’re kind of bringing it on yourself. Plus, if you have that much disposable income and, of all the things you could do with that money, you choose to spend it on this—well, we’re actually okay with you dying. It may sound harsh, but we’re gonna get along just fine without you.” At press time, sources confirmed no candlelight vigils were being held at the foot of Mount Everest.

Onion

• Like 1

I'm in a bit of a dalai lama over whether to pursue a parking fine claim.

I regularly use DASH to pay for parking by text on my phone. A week or so ago I did my usual routine parked up at the train station, sent the text, bought my train ticket and left for that London.

Then I got a text back saying they hadn't taken my money, they had tech difficulties. Tried their website, same, tried to phone, same. But I'm now on a train to London.

Get back in the evening and sure enough a ticket on the car. I've tried a first round of appealing it, I've got proof I've tried to pay 5 times on three different methods.

Their attitude, I should make sure I'd paid before I walked away.

Now, I can stick the fine on my expenses. But something is telling me to keep plugging away at the money grabbers. They can see from the records I've paid to park there regularly for a year. They can see I tried to pay on the day. But no, they can see fifty quid and that's all they're interested in.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm in a bit of a dalai lama over whether to pursue a parking fine claim.

I regularly use DASH to pay for parking by text on my phone. A week or so ago I did my usual routine parked up at the train station, sent the text, bought my train ticket and left for that London.

Then I got a text back saying they hadn't taken my money, they had tech difficulties. Tried their website, same, tried to phone, same. But I'm now on a train to London.

Get back in the evening and sure enough a ticket on the car. I've tried a first round of appealing it, I've got proof I've tried to pay 5 times on three different methods.

Their attitude, I should make sure I'd paid before I walked away.

Now, I can stick the fine on my expenses. But something is telling me to keep plugging away at the money grabbers. They can see from the records I've paid to park there regularly for a year. They can see I tried to pay on the day. But no, they can see fifty quid and that's all they're interested in.

They will not care. Parking companies are the worst legalised gangsters in the UK right now. I’ve got two claims with one company going on behalf of drivers and can absolutely prove 100% that the entry clock is an hour out, with evidence that is good enough for murder and drugs trafficking trials but not for parking tickets apparently. We'll be seeing them in court. We will eventually win but they'll take it all the way to the wire because that is their culture, they take it all the way because most people give up and pay

• Like 2

yeah, I think I chuck it on my expenses and then inconvenience myself by parking 100 metres further away at a non NCP car park for the next 3 visits so they've lost more than they've gained

Got a week off coming up in a few weeks... rather than hang around at home I want to take myself away somewhere for a few days. Chance to switch off and relax without being distracted by the everyday things at home. 

Want somewhere quiet... maybe a small village with a pub. Ideally by the coast. Thinking perhaps Lincs/Yorks/Durham/Northumberland coast? Any suggestions or recommendations?

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

butlins-skegness.jpg&f=1

I expected it to be honest! Not from you though Snowy, I thought you were better than that :P

Never been to Butlins Skeggy... although did do the Minehead one once. My word. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Xela said:

I expected it to be honest! Not from you though Snowy, I thought you were better than that :P

Never been to Butlins Skeggy... although did do the Minehead one once. My word. 

Never been to one myself anywhere - though we stayed at a few seaside caravan parks when I was a kid.

No serious suggestions where you're looking, I'm afraid. Won't the sea still be pretty chilly over that side of the country?

20 hours ago, snowychap said:

No serious suggestions where you're looking, I'm afraid. Won't the sea still be pretty chilly over that side of the country?

I'm not fussed about the sun or warm seas. Just more peace and quiet - bit of reflection and contemplation time. 

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

@Xela I suggest Norfolk. Some great places on the east coast. Cromer, Mundesley or Hemsby. 

Thanks for the suggestions :cheers:  Will check em' out 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Just more peace and quiet - bit of reflection and contemplation time.

Do you need the coast then?

Just pick somewhere very untouristy (just not The Lamb and Slaughter!).

Edited by snowychap

I’m having a debate with my work mate who’s a very good friend of mine. He reckons musically oasis are better than the Stone Roses. I massively disagree. I also think they are far more vibrant than oasis. What does VT think? I prefer oasis but I think musically the roses are better. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Â