General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I like to admit when I’m wrong , or when I finally get it. Joy Division. What a ***** band. I’ve gone from rating them as some overrated cult band to thinking they are brilliant . Dead souls and New Dawn Fades are unreal.

You're ahead of me, then. I bought Unknown Pleasures and Closer a couple of years ago, with open mind, and rather expecting to be impressed. I wasn't. Yawnsville. 

I dont get Joy Division, and trust me, I like overtly miserable bands, I own Chameleons and Gang of Four albums for gods sake, but christ, one the one hand, them first 5 New Order albums are just magnificent, but add Ian Curtis to the mix and and I am scratching my head.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I dont get Joy Division, and trust me, I like overtly miserable bands, I own Chameleons and Gang of Four albums for gods sake, but christ, one the one hand, them first 5 New Order albums are just magnificent, but add Ian Curtis to the mix and and I am scratching my head.

Kind of the opposite for me.

New Order should be a band that I enjoy - but apart from a couple of tunes I just never have. Joy Division on the other hand are superb.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

New Order should be a band that I enjoy - but apart from a couple of tunes I just never have. Joy Division on the other hand are superb.

I can get behind Transmission, listening to John Peel as a youngster I was always going to hear Joy Division, but I think at that time I was too young to appreciate them, then that boat sailed.

19 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I like New Order but the further away in time you get from Joy Division the worse they get. Movement is their best album and they get progressively less interesting. The only thing that interupts this slow fade away is Blue Monday and Confusion which I've never really liked

33 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Oh Christ, that's something else again. I may have been a bit disappointed with Joy Division, but New Order are much worse. Not as outright unlistenable as The Fall, but still wouldn't give them house room. What was it with that era and plodding bass players? That bloke in The Pixies, for example ('Doolittle' is one of the few CDs I actually chucked in the dustbin). Really made me hanker after Entwistle, Bruce and (yes) McCartney. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh Christ, that's something else again. I may have been a bit disappointed with Joy Division, but New Order are much worse. Not as outright unlistenable as The Fall, but still wouldn't give them house room. What was it with that era and plodding bass players? That bloke in The Pixies, for example ('Doolittle' is one of the few CDs I actually chucked in the dustbin). Really made me hanker after Entwistle, Bruce and (yes) McCartney. 

Mike we agree on so much but not all this, I mean all of this.

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What was it with that era and plodding bass players?

I'd hardly call Peter Hook plodding, in fact very often the Bass is playing the lead lines and the actual bass is a sequenced synth

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I'd hardly call Peter Hook plodding, in fact very often the Bass is playing the lead lines and the actual bass is a sequenced synth

I knew somebody would come back with that. Yeah, Hook played up at the dusty end of the neck a lot. Didn't make his lines interesting. I prefer a bassline that you initially may not notice - but on repeated listens you realise how beautifully it integrates into the chord structure of the song (McCartney was a prime example). But I guess the key word is 'song' - I'm a songs guy, and I have very little tolerance for music which is primarily groove-based (funk, reggae, motorik, hip hop, whatever). I'd rather listen to Leonard Cohen, frankly. 

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

"He's having a go at Cohen now!" 😁

Haha, no. I used Cohen as an example of someone who routinely gets listed as  droning/dull/depressing, the kind of antithesis of (say) punk or funk. And in a way, he kind of is - I'm not a huge fan, tbh. But I'd rather hear HIS clever lyrics over an understated acoustic guitar, than just about any rapper's (quite possibly equally clever) lyrics, over the typical hip hop sound. It's a cliché, but us oldsters just don't much like unmelodic noise (just like my parents didn't like the unmelodic noise of The Beatles, et al). :)

Â