General Chat

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Haha, no. I used Cohen as an example of someone who routinely gets listed as  droning/dull/depressing, the kind of antithesis of (say) punk or funk. And in a way, he kind of is - I'm not a huge fan, tbh. But I'd rather hear HIS clever lyrics over an understated acoustic guitar, than just about any rapper's (quite possibly equally clever) lyrics, over the typical hip hop sound. It's a cliché, but us oldsters just don't much like unmelodic noise (just like my parents didn't like the unmelodic noise of The Beatles, et al). :)

I think Cohen is magnificent. But I'm a sucker for the 'storytellers' tbh (Give me some Cave / Cohen / Dylan or similar and I'm a happy bunny).

• Like 2

All music is made up of some combination of (up to) four elements: lyrics, melody, harmony and rhythm. For me, personally, I would rank them in that order (the first three can swap around a bit, but rhythm always comes last). 

EDIT: And, yeah, I know, I know. African drums, the blues, swing bands, New Orleans, rock'n'roll, Motown, the Stones, etc., etc. All good and fine. But the song must come first. 

Edited by mjmooney

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I think Cohen is magnificent. But I'm a sucker for the 'storytellers' tbh (Give me some Cave / Cohen / Dylan or similar and I'm a happy bunny).

VTer Neal Sawyer is the man for that. 

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was going to say I thought The Pixies' bassist wasnt a bloke.  Still, I struggle to see how anyone can like nothing off Doolittle.  Here Comes Your Man at the very least is a great pop song.

Sorry, I just took an instant dislike to it. I had no idea who the bass player was. She was certainly attractive, I just wish they'd kept her away from the bass. 

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry, I just took an instant dislike to it. I had no idea who the bass player was. She was certainly attractive, I just wish they'd kept her away from the bass. 

To be honest I rarely take much notice of the bass in songs, even though my avatar is a bassist.  I get the impression that the smaller the band, the better the bassist has to be as they have to do the rhythm bit as well as add more interesting basslines.  I'm not an expert really.

Kim Deal, in my world is beyond criticism of any description, as a musician, as the teenage me's object of affection, as a songwriter, and the interaction I have had with her, as a person. Kim Deal is a goddess amongst mortals.

• Like 1

No, actually, scratch that 'meh', it's not strong enough. That Breeders track actually got released? I hate her voice, and the playing takes 'amateurish and incompetent' to new levels. 

• Like 1

You know its weird as she isnt one of those divisive people, people generally love her and acknowledge that she is great in everything that she does, almost universally. That said its OK, I have a huge list of people and bands I dont get so its good to have an opposing (but blatantly wrong) view.

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You know its weird as she isnt one of those divisive people, people generally love her and acknowledge that she is great in everything that she does, almost universally. That said its OK, I have a huge list of people and bands I dont get so its good to have an opposing (but blatantly wrong) view.

Absolutely. I have no problem with people hating stuff that I like. 

The best thing about my job is that it's the only place I've ever worked where it's seen as acceptable to go for a couple of pints at lunchtime on a Friday. The worst thing is having to come back and pretend to care after a couple of pints.

Today I had a caramel doughnut stout, and a lemon drizzle IPA. Both which sound absurd, but were absolutely incredibly. Totally Brewed are a brewery it's definitely worth sampling, given the chance. 

The top of this thread suggests I created it. Even though the first post is by @AVFCLaura

Not that I'm complaining. I'd rather this thread got named after me if I drop dead than the gardening one.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The top of this thread suggests I created it. Even though the first post is by @AVFCLaura

Not that I'm complaining. I'd rather this thread got named after me if I drop dead than the gardening one.

We could always call it Stevo's gardening thread while you're still with us.  I find tributes should be enjoyed by the people they're for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â