General Chat

Stevo985

I have been considering 'uping' my coffee 'game', though I was just thinking of grinding it myself. How much of a step up in taste is there roasting it yourself compared to just grinding already roasted beans?

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You're just jealous that you couldn't pull off a cape. 

I've pulled off many things.  No, wait, that's ... not what I meant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I have been considering 'uping' my coffee 'game', though I was just thinking of grinding it myself. How much of a step up in taste is there roasting it yourself compared to just grinding already roasted beans?

It's just that you can get the beans roasted how you like them. I watched a couple of youtube vids and read a bit about the beans. The trick is to get the heat right and to keep the beans moving all the time. The beans when they are green (pre-roasting) have an unlimited shelf life, but once roasted they begin to deteriorate. So the coffee you drink is always very fresh, and I think that makes a huge difference.

I was buying pre-ground beans and had one cup that smelled like bad vagina, and once that line was crossed, there was no going back. So I bought pre-roasted and a grinder, and then it was a small step to roasting once I'd seen how easy it was.

If you are getting a grinder anyway, there's no extra cost (apart from time) to roasting in a wok/frying pan. You can oven roast but it looks like too much of a faff. You can also buy a roasting machine, or some people use a popcorn machine.

Wok roasting:  

• Like 1

I feel like I have to tell this story to someone.

Last night I had a football match. Now this league is very much just for fun, but it still is a bit competitive. Anyway, we had 4 referees because they were training some new ones so the trainees just followed the main refs (in this league a ref stands in each half and officiates that half). 

Match started, and what followed was literally the worse officiating I had every witnessed. 

Field was very slick because it had just rained, so on an attack, their striker was dribbling at our defender. The striker tried a move, and slipped, but when he slipped, he slide straight into our defender taking him out. Ref blows the whistle and calls a foul on our player. Our keeper comes out to check on our player, but while he does that, a girl just grabs the ball and taps it into the open net. Ref calls it a goal. What?! First off how was it a foul on our defender when their player slipped and took our defender out? Then how can she do a quick start when we have a hurt player on the field?

Later in the game our striker is dribbling and just slips. No one was near him, the pitch was just very slippy. Ref blows the whistle for a free kick. We all look at the ref in disbelief. Did casper get subbed on because literally the closest defender was a good 5 yards from our attacker when he slipped. I told the opposing team I'll just kick it straight to their keeper because it wasn't a foul and it wouldn't be fair to score (unlike their word removed of a woman who took advantage of our player hurt). Ref heard me say that, so when I just chipped it to the keeper, the ref blew the whistle and gives me a yellow for unsportsmanship. Says I was defying the ref by not actually trying to score. I am not joking. 

Game is tied at this point now. I make a long sprint to get to a ball and I am thru on goal. I go to take a shot, but their defender completely slide tackles me from behind taking out my planting foot. I didn't expect it, and it hurt. No call whatsoever. My teammates rush the ref and she says it wasn't a foul. Then their team says it was a clear foul and the defender admits he got zero ball and apologized to me. Ref back tracks and says she was about to blow the whistle. Yea sure she was even though she never did blow it. 

Last minute in the game, we are winning 5-4. Their keeper goes up for a corner and our keeper manages to punch it out. I am the only one up the pitch. I look in front of me and there is no keeper and nearest defender is still in our box. I start sprinting forward, and get into their box. I roll it into the net and the ref blows the final whistle before the ball crosses the line. We won, but my god I ran like **** hell to the ref. The league's manager or owner saw what happened, and immediately intercepted me from coming to the ref who already had he hand in her back pocket to take out the red for me. The manager told me he'd look into this game and make sure this never happened again. 

I hope to god those refs are fired. What is worse is they were training new refs. Unless they were showing the new refs how not to ref a match, they didn't the worst job I have ever experienced in my 20+ years playing football.

tl;dr - I've never seen such incompetence from a referee in my life. It's an interesting read to see how bad they were. 

• Like 3

I understand being frustrated, but they're amateur refs, giving up their time, and probably not even breaking even on the training costs from the few quid they get chucked a game, so they could probably do without people calling for them to be 'fired' and running the length of the pitch to shout at them.

At an amateur level of football, I'm not sure you can expect much other than an amateur level of refereeing. I've seen the abuse some of these people get for doing their best and I can't imagine putting up with it without breaking someone's nose, tbh. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

That's pretty normal at Sunday league, you have to see Cypriot Sunday league it's the most corrupt referring league I've witnessed. My brother use to play for a team. They were 3-2 and the ref adds 9 mins injury time for absolutely no reason. The opposition hoofs ball in box player just does a Joey Barton with absolutely no one near him gives a pen and sends off the closest person to the play. They score 3-3. Then the keeper argues he sends him off meaning they are now down to 9 players with another 8 mins injury time. 6th minute of injury time the opposition player was about 3 yards off side flag stays down they score and ref blows 20 secs after kick off.

if I tell you what followed it was ridiculous, let's just say I don't think he refereed another game again

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I understand being frustrated, but they're amateur refs, giving up their time, and probably not even breaking even on the training costs from the few quid they get chucked a game, so they could probably do without people calling for them to be 'fired' and running the length of the pitch to shout at them.

At an amateur level of football, I'm not sure you can expect much other than an amateur level of refereeing. I've seen the abuse some of these people get for doing their best and I can't imagine putting up with it without breaking someone's nose, tbh. 

I mean I can understand some human error, but that match was awful. I had been playing in this league for nearly 2 years and we've had some bad refs. This was just incredible. I've seen soft penalties given, and miscalls, but I've never seen a ref give a free kick when a player with no one around him simply tripped, then give someone a yellow when they tried to show sportsmanship. 

We also pay a decent amount for this league, so I expect my money to at least be going to training these refs properly. I just want them to know basic rules of the game, and not let their personal opinions make calls or wait till the opposing team makes the call for the ref to agree and give the free kick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I feel like I have to tell this story to someone.

Last night I had a football match. Now this league is very much just for fun, but it still is a bit competitive. Anyway, we had 4 referees because they were training some new ones so the trainees just followed the main refs (in this league a ref stands in each half and officiates that half). 

Match started, and what followed was literally the worse officiating I had every witnessed. 

Field was very slick because it had just rained, so on an attack, their striker was dribbling at our defender. The striker tried a move, and slipped, but when he slipped, he slide straight into our defender taking him out. Ref blows the whistle and calls a foul on our player. Our keeper comes out to check on our player, but while he does that, a girl just grabs the ball and taps it into the open net. Ref calls it a goal. What?! First off how was it a foul on our defender when their player slipped and took our defender out? Then how can she do a quick start when we have a hurt player on the field?

Later in the game our striker is dribbling and just slips. No one was near him, the pitch was just very slippy. Ref blows the whistle for a free kick. We all look at the ref in disbelief. Did casper get subbed on because literally the closest defender was a good 5 yards from our attacker when he slipped. I told the opposing team I'll just kick it straight to their keeper because it wasn't a foul and it wouldn't be fair to score (unlike their word removed of a woman who took advantage of our player hurt). Ref heard me say that, so when I just chipped it to the keeper, the ref blew the whistle and gives me a yellow for unsportsmanship. Says I was defying the ref by not actually trying to score. I am not joking. 

Game is tied at this point now. I make a long sprint to get to a ball and I am thru on goal. I go to take a shot, but their defender completely slide tackles me from behind taking out my planting foot. I didn't expect it, and it hurt. No call whatsoever. My teammates rush the ref and she says it wasn't a foul. Then their team says it was a clear foul and the defender admits he got zero ball and apologized to me. Ref back tracks and says she was about to blow the whistle. Yea sure she was even though she never did blow it. 

Last minute in the game, we are winning 5-4. Their keeper goes up for a corner and our keeper manages to punch it out. I am the only one up the pitch. I look in front of me and there is no keeper and nearest defender is still in our box. I start sprinting forward, and get into their box. I roll it into the net and the ref blows the final whistle before the ball crosses the line. We won, but my god I ran like **** hell to the ref. The league's manager or owner saw what happened, and immediately intercepted me from coming to the ref who already had he hand in her back pocket to take out the red for me. The manager told me he'd look into this game and make sure this never happened again. 

I hope to god those refs are fired. What is worse is they were training new refs. Unless they were showing the new refs how not to ref a match, they didn't the worst job I have ever experienced in my 20+ years playing football.

tl;dr - I've never seen such incompetence from a referee in my life. It's an interesting read to see how bad they were. 

So that's where Uriah Rennie got to!

• Like 3

Â