General Chat

Stevo985

When I was a kid (read: toddler) I watched Terminator & Aliens and all sorts of violent, scary films (with father, mother worked at night), that simply washed over me because I was too young to fully empathise with the fictional people, unless it was Batman, in which case I got very upset when Batman found himself in a tight spot. Point is, my parents didn't really bother to shelter me from the harsh realities of the world, be it war or robots sent back to kill a kid. Perhaps it is why I'm a cynical wee shite now but I'm not one to attribute blame for my current self on others. Though when I listen to people describe the strange stories their parents came up to avoid answering tough questions, I do have to giggle.

I was actually openly encouraged to watch Aliens.  My cousin told me it was too scary but then my mom said it's okay they're just like Ghostbusters monsters.  

For some reason I was allowed to watch Robocop and Terminator but not total Recall on the basis that there is too much swearing in it.  Also when my mom taped Gremlins for me from TV she cut out the part where the mother kills a few of them in her kitchen.

I watched all of the sci fi and horror stuff I wanted as a kid. I'm not cynical. I just enjoyed it. My dad loves action/sci fi anything so maybe I felt like we were bonding. My mom loves horror movies. My dad and I also can't pass up a good spoof movie. I wasn't allowed to watch anything with a "naughty" scene in it. I could watch people explode, but anything other than a kiss and I had to turn my head while they would fast forward.

Yep that's the point I made the other week.  Being nasty to somebody is okay, but being nice to somebody in a film is totally unacceptable.

Edited by Wainy316

When I was a kid (read: toddler) I watched Terminator & Aliens and all sorts of violent, scary films (with father, mother worked at night), that simply washed over me because I was too young to fully empathise with the fictional people, unless it was Batman, in which case I got very upset when Batman found himself in a tight spot. Point is, my parents didn't really bother to shelter me from the harsh realities of the world, be it war or robots sent back to kill a kid. Perhaps it is why I'm a cynical wee shite now but I'm not one to attribute blame for my current self on others. Though when I listen to people describe the strange stories their parents came up to avoid answering tough questions, I do have to giggle.

I was actually openly encouraged to watch Aliens.  My cousin told me it was too scary but then my mom said it's okay they're just like Ghostbusters monsters.  

For some reason I was allowed to watch Robocop and Terminator but not total Recall on the basis that there is too much swearing in it. 

Count the number of swear words in this clip :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBccZfvPXFc

For some reason I was allowed to watch Robocop and Terminator but not total Recall on the basis that there is too much swearing in it.  Also when my mom taped Gremlins for me from TV she cut out the part where the mother kills a few of them in her kitchen.

I watched all of the sci fi and horror stuff I wanted as a kid. I'm not cynical. I just enjoyed it. My dad loves action/sci fi anything so maybe I felt like we were bonding. My mom loves horror movies. My dad and I also can't pass up a good spoof movie. I wasn't allowed to watch anything with a "naughty" scene in it. I could watch people explode, but anything other than a kiss and I had to turn my head while they would fast forward.

Yep that's the point I made the other week.  Being nasty to somebody is okay, but being nice to somebody in a film is totally unacceptable.

Well, I was allowed to see all other acts of kindness. But I think a 7 year old girl watching sexy time stuff with your mom and dad in the room would be odd. I still can't watch anything that gets too sexual if my dad and step mom are watching the movie as well. I am uncomfortable with it. But all things said, I didn't grow up with a desire to commit homicide or a fear of sex.

The sanitized version of Robocop you usually get on telly (cut for US TV) is an utterly pointless watch.

You get to the end and realise that much of the stuff that you remember has been been removed.

The sanitized version of Robocop you usually get on telly (cut for US TV) is an utterly pointless watch.

You get to the end and realise that much of the stuff that you remember has been been removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmRTUNh1vPo

• Like 1

Well, I was allowed to see all other acts of kindness. But I think a 7 year old girl watching sexy time stuff with your mom and dad in the room would be odd. I still can't watch anything that gets too sexual if my dad and step mom are watching the movie as well. I am uncomfortable with it. But all things said, I didn't grow up with a desire to commit homicide or a fear of sex.

When I was a kid my mom and dad had no problems letting me watch pretty much anything, I used to fall asleep every night watching things like Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre I can't have been much older than 7 or 8.

I remember the first time I watched Terminator I probably would have been about 8  and I just remember thinking that Arnie was a bit of a dude but don't really remember actually noticing much of the violence or anything in it.

by the time I was in secondary school I dad a pretty extensive collection of horror films that I had taped over time.

I don't think it done much to damage me in many ways other than that I am pretty desensitized to seeing humans in pain or suffering now, I can watch a video of a man being beheaded and shrug my shoulders and say 'so what' but if you show me a video of an animal suffering I will flip my lip man that is the one thing I cant stand

When I was a kid my mom and dad had no problems letting me watch pretty much anything, I used to fall asleep every night watching things like Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre I can't have been much older than 7 or 8.

I remember the first time I watched Terminator I probably would have been about 8  and I just remember thinking that Arnie was a bit of a dude but don't really remember actually noticing much of the violence or anything in it.

by the time I was in secondary school I dad a pretty extensive collection of horror films that I had taped over time.

I don't think it done much to damage me in many ways other than that I am pretty desensitized to seeing humans in pain or suffering now, I can watch a video of a man being beheaded and shrug my shoulders and say 'so what' but if you show me a video of an animal suffering I will flip my lip man that is the one thing I cant stand

I can't stand to see animals hurt. People, it depends.

Youtube doesn't need to be a link, just paste in the URL and the site embeds it by magic.

When I copy and paste a youtube link it automatically sets the link up as a hyperlink and the video doesn't embed. I have to make sure I edit it to remove the hyperlink first before it will embed. 

Perhaps other people have this issue as well. 

Sunday night i was brushing my cat when i noticed something scuttling underneath his fur and on closer inspection i found it to be fleas.

Now this would normally be horrifying enough on it's own but four years ago i suffered a previous flea infestation in my home when my lovely neighbour next door removed the old flooring in her new home when she first moved in and dumped that flooring outside her back door which was situated no more than 15 feet away from my kitchen air vent. Apparently the previous occupant wasn't at all clean keeping a selection of birds inside their home plus a cat and dog. Since flea eggs can lie dormant for up to three years before being disturbed by vibration and subsequently hatch through light and heat the little beggars had come through my air vent and latched onto my cats and my fiancee both suffering many bites before i had to get my home fumigated.

Two weeks ago the local council ripped the old kitchen out of next door and of course they dumped the wastage in the same place again. I have now a second flea infestation in my home and since Sunday i have had to treat both my cats and my home again.

Informed the local MP what has happened and both he and the Environmental Health Officer have now instructed the council to fumigate next door and they've advised me to get my solicitor involved. My cats are now clean again and i have fumigated my home a second time to make sure but i've had to throw a lot of my designer gear out as well as bed linen.

Not really the best way to celebrate early retirement and thinking very seriously of selling up and moving on when all legalities are sorted. :angry:

I can see why you're upset. But your cat has fleas, cats get fleas. Any cat can get fleas, It could just be coincidence.

Totally agree but if you look at the timing coinciding with the work and nothing inbetween then the law of probabilty and precedent is undeniably strong.

Â