General Chat

Stevo985

Why can't cyclists use the **** path? I did unless the road had a clearly marked cycle lane or the roads were empty. 

Because the ****** path is for pedestrians. 

It is against the law to cycle on the pavement. End of. 

Cyclists should be on the road, they should cycling in accordance with the laws with full consideration to other road users. The same applies to every other road user, be it horse, car, van, lorry, motorbike or whatever. 

• Like 1

Why can't cyclists use the **** path? I did unless the road had a clearly marked cycle lane or the roads were empty. 

I agree, ish.

There's a debate to be had whether cyclists would do more harm on the pavements or suffer more harm on the roads. Were they all able to act sensibly, then I think the pavement option could potentially be a good one, but in reality I think it would actually end up causing more harm and stress. Particularly in the built up areas.

One undoubtedly stands on or accidentally kills innumerable amounts of organisms throughout the course of a week. Should one feel bad about that too?

I'm not overjoyed by it but murder is worse than manslaughter (bugslaughter?).

Cyclists should be on the road, they should cycling in accordance with the laws with full consideration to other road users. The same applies to every other road user, be it horse, car, van, lorry, motorbike or whatever. 

Hmm.

This is no law I was aware of until now and it's ridiculous. In my local area the paths are being widened (I have assumed for cyclists) but there are no markings or indications that they are for cyclists, so it is illegal to use these paths yes?

Ridiculous.

Here's a thought. At what size does something become significant, in the sense that you hesitate before killing it? Or is it based on cuteness rather than size i.e. you'd kill a fly, so maybe the answer is 'bigger than a fly' but then you'd probably leave a (cute) ladybird alone and they're smaller than a fly.

• Like 3

Hmm.

This is no law I was aware of until now and it's ridiculous. In my local area the paths are being widened (I have assumed for cyclists) but there are no markings or indications that they are for cyclists, so it is illegal to use these paths yes?

Ridiculous.

Cycling on the footway (pavement) is an offence under Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 as amended by Section 85 (1) of the Local Government Act 1888. 

Those pavements with designated cycle lanes are a different matter (they tend to be two tone black and red) - but for your bog standard pavement yes.... its illegal to cycle on them. 

• Like 1

Hmm.

Ridiculous.

Cycling on the footway (pavement) is an offence under Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 as amended by Section 85 (1) of the Local Government Act 1888. 

Those pavements with designated cycle lanes are a different matter (they tend to be two tone black and red) - but for your bog standard pavement yes.... its illegal to cycle on them. 

I didn't claim you were wrong so you didn't need to include the bold part. My point is it is a ridiculous law.

Hmm.

Ridiculous.

I didn't claim you were wrong so you didn't need to include the bold part. My point is it is a ridiculous law.

Sorry that was cut and pasted from a website and I couldn't be arsed to reformat it. 

I agree its a bit daft and basically unenforceable but there we have it. 

The discussion around cyclists gets emotive too quickly and tends to become a flame war about the bad ones. It's hard to have a constructive discussion about them without someone making a less than helpful remark and the whole thing descending into chaos.

The discussion around cyclists gets emotive too quickly and tends to become a flame war about the bad ones. It's hard to have a constructive discussion about them without someone making a less than helpful remark and the whole thing descending into ch

Agreed BOF, which is why I stand by the above, as a motorist and a cyclist. 

Hmm.

Ridiculous.

It's a very sensible and perfectly reasonable law. Bicycles are fast moving vehicles, on the pavement they become a danger to pedestrians. On the road it is the cyclist taking the risk through their own free will, why should I as a pedestrian have that danger forced upon me?

Cyclist on the pavement, ridiculous idea and impossible in a built up city such as London (which is what we were talking about no, 5 deaths in 9 days?). One can only guess you've never been to London.

Cyclists having to have licenses and number plates to ride on certain built up areas such as Zone 1, now THERE is an idea.

Im not sure that a licencing system for cyclists is the way forward - but, the cycling profficiency test should be compulsory to all school children as a bare minimum.

Perhaps not all cyclists but only those that ride in certain areas.

For example that knob in a suit who just "rode" past my bus on a Boris bike. That guy shouldn't be on the road.

It'll never happen of course, Boris has seen to that already.

Â