General Chat

Stevo985

Am I the only one who finds booking flights online to be a nervous and unpleasant experience? The thoughts of the smallest detail being wrong and then only becoming an issue at the gate on the day resulting in no flight, means the heartbeat speeds up as soon as I start the whole process. Then the final proper panic as you click 'purchase' and your brain says "but what if something's wrong?!!?!?!" at the point where there's no going back. Anyway it's done now. Don't like it.

I'm the same, don't like the e-ticket system at all. It's not just flights, it's for hotel reservations too. I booked a room at this place in Veliko Tarnovo and when we got there it was an apartment block, we really thought we had been conned but after a few hours of asking locals we found out that the owner of the apartments was a bloke who owned the local hotel so we managed to get the apartment keys from there, if we had paperwork with all the information on we'd have fealt far more confident that we wasn't going to possibly be scammed.

Am I the only one who finds booking flights online to be a nervous and unpleasant experience? The thoughts of the smallest detail being wrong and then only becoming an issue at the gate on the day resulting in no flight, means the heartbeat speeds up as soon as I start the whole process. Then the final proper panic as you click 'purchase' and your brain says "but what if something's wrong?!!?!?!" at the point where there's no going back. Anyway it's done now. Don't like it.

I'm the same, don't like the e-ticket system at all. It's not just flights, it's for hotel reservations too. I booked a room at this place in Veliko Tarnovo and when we got there it was an apartment block, we really thought we had been conned but after a few hours of asking locals we found out that the owner of the apartments was a bloke who owned the local hotel so we managed to get the apartment keys from there, if we had paperwork with all the information on we'd have fealt far more confident that we wasn't going to possibly be scammed.

Yeah I can definitely see that there's an anxiety attributed to the whole lack of having a tangible ticket in your hand. But things like accommodation can be sorted kind of at your leisure. Flights can't. That plane is going with or without you and you tend not to turn up with hours and hours at your disposal. Add to that that airports post 9/11 have become a horrible place where there is zero tolerance towards anything other than booking perfection and every passenger is treated as a terrorist until proven otherwise. And things that don't add up on your flight booking can mean you don't fly. They think nothing of keeping you off a flight for the smallest thing or charging you through the nose if they can accommodate you. I love flying, I hate airports.

While going home on the bus, I thought a rather attractive lady was 'totes' checking me out (over, it seemed, the entire duration of the journey), and felt rather pleased with myself. When I got in, to see what all the fuss was about, I went to the bathroom, turned the light on and looked in the mirror, thereupon I discovered a large piece of white fluff inexplicably clung to my (admittedly shabby) beard.

She probably thought you were a undercover Santa

My mate got me a bottle of 20 year old scotch a few months ago, im not not an avid drinker of it but I've got nowt else to drink except a bottle of Malibu so, what do I mix the scotch with to make it drinkable instead of tasting like turps?

While going home on the bus, I thought a rather attractive lady was 'totes' checking me out (over, it seemed, the entire duration of the journey), and felt rather pleased with myself. When I got in, to see what all the fuss was about, I went to the bathroom, turned the light on and looked in the mirror, thereupon I discovered a large piece of white fluff inexplicably clung to my (admittedly shabby) beard.

Assuming that was an unintentional double negative (not not) ;-) Do yourself a favour and train yourself to drink it neat. It'll stop being turps fairly quickly. You shouldn't mix anything with a (I assume quality) 20 year old whisky.

My mate got me a bottle of 20 year old scotch a few months ago, im not not an avid drinker of it but I've got nowt else to drink except a bottle of Malibu so, what do I mix the scotch with to make it drinkable instead of tasting like turps?

If you must, then just a little bit of water. Anything else is blasphemous.

Excellent trolling, fine work sir.  :clap:

I think the last 50 or so flights I've booked have been online and luckily no issues but I do know what you mean. I religiously double and triple check every detail and never happy until I check in!

Water is perfectly acceptable - slightly chilled.

Watch how the "texture" of the drink changes as you add a small amount of water - it will look initially "blurred"

Did a "master class" on Whiskey (note spelling) while I was in Dublin recently  and its interesting the changes that can be made to the taste re water and different foods eaten with it

Note: I did meet Brian (BOF) afterwards and was at that time very drunk :-)

• Like 3

I understand that scotch is something to be savoured with every sip but, I can't stand the stuff ever since I drank some jack Daniels years ago and was sick afterwards, i think I'll put some ice in it first and let it melt a little

I understand that scotch is something to be savoured with every sip but, I can't stand the stuff ever since I drank some jack Daniels years ago and was sick afterwards, i think I'll put some ice in it first and let it melt a little

What sort of whisky / whiskey is it?

Glen Keith distillary, says on the box it was distilled in 1993, bottled march this year

Not bad - that's usually about 50-60 a bottle - Glen Keith has only just re-opened. With it being a SpeySide it will be quite light and in whisky terms sweet - try with a Oat Biscuit and bit of Strong cheese

Edit: If all else fails I will drink it for you :)

Edited by drat01

Â