General Chat

Stevo985

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Who on here knows about insurance? Of the buildings variety? I'm looking for some advice about claiming. I'm sure one of us is in insurance, I just can't remember who...

vldl-viva-la-dirt-league.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The council has finally decided it's bust.

I’m surprised they are so messed up considering they implemented vigorous spending controls in July. It’s surprising it got so out of control in about 6 weeks…

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised they are so messed up considering they implemented vigorous spending controls in July. It’s surprising it got so out of control in about 6 weeks…

It's more like this was a can they've been kicking down the road for a decade and they ran out of road.

Just now, Chindie said:

It's more like this was a can they've been kicking down the road for a decade and they ran out of road.

Yeah, that’s what I was hinting at. 
Implementing vigorous spending restrictions 2 months ago when they are already in hundreds of millions of debt is a little bit late.

On 04/09/2023 at 10:55, bickster said:

Nah, 6Music is on the road to ruin

What they've done in recent years is dreadful

Craig Charles eff off, nothing remotely hip about him, he even pays his family members to do his research and still can't pronounce band names, song names etc correctly let alone having no idea of their back story.

Bumping Riley and Coe into a joint late slot cutting down their respective hours from 5 to 2 is shiocking.

Tom Ravenscroft is an irritant and that new music fix show is awful. the 9-10 slot is hit and miss giving it over to an artist for 4 shows of self indulgence (its still often better than the previous 2 hours)

Lamaq is leaving and being replaced by Huw Stevens, that is probably the first replacement they've made in recent years that doesn't piss me off

And whilst we're at it, can someone put Tom Robinson out to grass and extending Guy Garvey's show by an hour was completely uninspiring, an hour was ok, 2 and it starts to grate

Agree with the gist, if not all the details. I listen to it a lot less these days, but I’d say Craig Charles is better the Keaveney, who I can’t stand, TomR is fine by me , ditto Garvey. Didn’t know Lammo was leaving. It seems like the controller is “rebalancing” the gender/age/race mix, rather than basing stuff just on music. Or maybe we’re just getting older

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Yeah, that’s what I was hinting at. 
Implementing vigorous spending restrictions 2 months ago when they are already in hundreds of millions of debt is a little bit late.

But, but, we hosted The Commonwealth Games! (when everyone else thought it was too pricey).  Birmingham, my kinda town.

Edited by trekka

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

Agree with the gist, if not all the details. I listen to it a lot less these days, but I’d say Craig Charles is better the Keaveney, who I can’t stand, TomR is fine by me , ditto Garvey. Didn’t know Lammo was leaving. It seems like the controller is “rebalancing” the gender/age/race mix, rather than basing stuff just on music. Or maybe we’re just getting older

Lammo leaving is down to lammo, he'll be back 1 day a week next year, wants time out

I like Garveys show but two hours stretches it a bit thats all but its no biggie as I rarely listen then unless I'm having a bath

I hate Keavney but Charles is actually worse but that 1-4 slot has been populated by arses for a very long time

Tom R and that new show with Deb grant is awful

But the whole thing is going downhill as they bring in more and more music I hate that already has a home on other BBC radio stations

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Lammo leaving is down to lammo, he'll be back 1 day a week next year, wants time out

I like Garveys show but two hours stretches it a bit thats all but its no biggie as I rarely listen then unless I'm having a bath

I hate Keavney but Charles is actually worse but that 1-4 slot has been populated by arses for a very long time

Tom R and that new show with Deb grant is awful

But the whole thing is going downhill as they bring in more and more music I hate that already has a home on other BBC radio stations

All this 6 Music chat and nobody has yet mentioned the worst? Mary Anne Hobgoblin. I don't want rave/trance music in the middle of the morning and genuinely can't imagine who does.

• Like 1

We've done the R6 dance before methinks.

As a weekday at work in the car/van etc radio listener it's hugely dependant on who I'm with.

On my own I'll invariably listen to my mp3 player or with some people someone will have spotify playing. One guy I know just flat out refuses to listen to the news updates and inane chatter will use headphones if the radio is playing anything.

Other than that if I'm with the older crowd it's R2. Religeously. Which is alright in a background noise way although I tend to plan the use of noisy power tools to coincide with 12-2 the Jeremy Vine Hate-in, which it's just better for my mental and physical well-being to avoid as much as possible. Rainy days, sat in someone else's van eating lunch, that's when he gets me.

But with people my own age range then R6 is the only thing we can agree on. The variation of genres is exactly the reason. Reggae - Techno - Metal etc etc. I think if I ever met Craig Charles I'd think he's a dick but I quite like him in the afternoons as me and Bicks have been over before, but MAH is great in the mornings, but then I like her Cadbury's Caramel voice and the eclectic stuff she plays.

I also catch stuff like the recent Blur live thing and The Manics live at Clwb Ivor Bach and so on when I've been working in the evenings or at weekends. It's great R6 imo and this is me, hardly the BBC's biggest fan. It is starting to get a bit more mainstreamy in it's playlists though and seemingly more chatty time filler and less actual music. If it turns into radio 2 lite it won't last long. But to be fair as I'm knocking on the door of my 50's it introduces a fair bit of new stuff into my ears I wouldn't normally imbibe.

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

it introduces a fair bit of new stuff into my ears I wouldn't normally imbibe.

I’ve been listening to it since just after it started. And that was the thing. It was like listening to my record collection, plus added new stuff and old archive sessions I’d not heard before. And nearly everything was good. I’d go out and buy lots of new stuff as a result. Then there was a phase where they started putting bell ends on, like Russell wossisname, but mostly it was still good. But now it’s changed. They overdo the focus on new releases by doing 2 hours daily, when it could really do with filtering to once a week for just that, with other new stuff put in various shows if the presenter likes it, along with a mix of the basic playlist plus other presenter choice songs. And they’ve binned off the two shows which had really good presenters playing all kinds that they’d picked along with new and old live sessions.

still, it’s good for my tinnitus, as podcasts about random stuff which I’ve taken to listening to don’t have the same adverse effect.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

SO just wondering, was @Xelacoming back on a flight from Barcelona last night?

Wrong thread but if anyone has been wondering “What happens if someone shits all over a plane?”, now we know the answer. Though “it turns around” isn’t as interesting as, say, “they tell everyone to hold on and open the blast doors to flush it all out”.

Â