General Chat

Stevo985

14 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

This may have been discussed previously in this thread or another, but has anyone ever bought the full collection of those magazines that includes something collectable or something to build? The introductory offer (issue 1) used to be 99p, but the norm now seems to be £1.99. Then subsequent issues are roughly £8.99, but you have to buy 80 to 100 weeks to complete the set. DeAgostini tends to be the brand making and marketing them.

I seem to remember build your own Millennium Falcon, Titanic, Flying Scotsman etc. Sometimes it’s collectable figurines or chess pieces from Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. Currently there is a Dungeons & Dragons one being advertised on the TV and I’ve seen this in the newsagents.

If someone really wanted all issues, they’d be spending best part of £700-£900! It really is bonkers. 

I'd be more interested to know if any of those magazines had ever issued the number of magazines needed to complete the set, let alone anyone actually bothered doing it. The drop off in demand must be absolutely massive. Surely none of them have ever completed their run?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd be more interested to know if any of those magazines had ever issued the number of magazines needed to complete the set, let alone anyone actually bothered doing it. The drop off in demand must be absolutely massive. Surely none of them have ever completed their run?

Yep, cost and the ridiculous time spent. Best part of two years if someone persisted.

Must be very frustrating for someone if they did end their run before it’s complete.

Looks like we've got the next 'NHS wants to execute my baby' story going. Another child with a sadly incurable cell disease has seen the hospital go to the court to be allowed to move to palliative care,  

The Christian Legal Centre will be offering some pro bono representation soon enough, using the latest tragedy of a dying child to push their agenda.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Hows Mr. Sidcow doing?

Are you 

50s_beach_party-320x180.gif

or

giphy.gif

Oh the latter. Didn't help when my son phoned to say he's not coming home after work and staying at his girl. 

I've been out to get some beer and got some flowers though. 

• Like 1

That blob is heading right for me, and I'm on the coast. The winds are just starting to pick up and there's sporadic bursts of pouring rain. We don't get big tropical storms up here that much, and by the time it reaches Maine and Nova Scotia, it likely wont even qualify as a hurricane. But it will still be a big storm. High tide here should be interesting.

Hurricane Lee on path for New England and Canada with Category 1 storm ...

Edited by maqroll
  • Sad 1

30mph defaults to 20mph today over here. If you haven’t seen a sign stating a speed, presume it’s 20.

It’s estimated that holiday visitor fines will make Wales one of the wealthiest nations in europe.

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2023 at 11:44, Stevo985 said:

I completed the horrible histories one waaaay back 

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I completed the horrible histories one waaaay back 

Full sets of plain old magazines is a different thing. It's the ones with the 1000-part construction kits that are the mystery. 

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Screenshot_2023-09-17-11-29-52-74_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-17-11-30-57-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Not really a valid comparison.

The Airfix is a plastic model in 1:180 scale, while the partwork is a wood and metal kit in 1:80. It's a much bigger, much more complex, much more detailed thing, with more complicated build techniques required, it's a much different experience.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Not really a valid comparison.

The Airfix is a plastic model in 1:180 scale, while the partwork is a wood and metal kit in 1:80. It's a much bigger, much more complex, much more detailed thing, with more complicated build techniques required, it's a much different experience.

I realise that. But if it was me I'd still rather buy the Airfix kit for forty quid. At least I'd have all the parts instead of one per month. I can see why that bloke gave up and tried to cut his losses. 

After I misread the 'Celebrity Scandals' thread title, I thought maybe I'd start a sub thread in here, so...

Celebrity Sandals.

HmcFbOd.jpg

This is Colton Haynes sporting some sandals, I think. I found him by googling 'Z list celebrities'. I have no idea who he is, but he is almost certainly wearing sandals.

Over to you. Have you seen a celebrity wearing sandals? If you have a picture, do post it here. 

Mods, if you feel this should go elsewhere, do please move it.

Edited by Anthony
sp
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Anthony said:

After I misread the 'Celebrity Scandals' thread title, I thought maybe I'd start a sub thread in here, so...

Celebrity Sandals.

HmcFbOd.jpg

This is Colton Haynes sporting some sandals, I think. I found him by googling 'Z list celebrities'. I have no idea who he is, but he is almost certailnly wearing sandals.

Over to you. Have you seen a celebrity wearing sandals? If you have a picture, do post it here. 

Mods, if you feel this should go elsewhere, do please move it.

Â